1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Best parts to replace

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 10:24 AM
Best parts to replace

Ive already bought a new car, 17 Infiniti Q70 5.6 V8.

My little cousin is graduating soon and wants my Fit since he knows Ive taken care of it. He saved up 2k to buy it from me but Ill use his 2k to fix it up so it can be a good car and just give it to him.

I havent had to put any real parts in the car yet. Just battery, tires and normal maintenance. Below is my list of stuff im planning on replacing. (Got a friend who runs a parts store and ill get a deal on them all)

- Front/Rear brakes calipers, rotors, pads, shoes, drums(slight upgrade over stock stuff)
- Front control arms to mainly replace bushings and ball joints, just a few bucks more and get new arms too.
- Front Axles
- Front Tie rods inner and outer
- Springs struts all the way around(may end up getting something aftermarket if budget allows)
- Bearings all the way around
- Flush and Fill all fluids
- Clutch Kit , its a stick shift Fit.
- Plastic air dam up front (its been ziptied up for a while and i plan to fix it since its 20 bucks from rockauto)
- Valve Adjustment
- Plugs and Coil packs
- Valve cover gasket
- Wheels balanced
- Alignment
- Timing chain/belt and associated parts
- Water pump
- Thermostat
- Oil pan Gasket and Magnetic drain bolt
- Alternator
- Tires are about a year old(Goodyear Viva 3 $50 dollar a pop Wal-Mart specials)

Edit - Added other parts to the list.
- Fuel pump and filter
- Clean injectors and replace any that arent up to spec
- Fill AC up/Check for leaks repair if needed
- Check steering rack for any issues

Basically go over the car, repair and replace anything that needs it or will need it soon. To make sure itll last for at least another 180k like it has me for the last 180k.

All parts will be installed by my mechanic at my office. The labor will be covered by me, since my cousin paid for parts. (Hes my shop mechanic for my 5 diesel trucks i own)

He isnt aware of this. He said he wanted to buy my car so he can earn what he wants. At least at 18 hes got a good head on his shoulders.

He'll be using it for college. He'll be attending Ohio state on a football scholarship.

Anything else I should look at while the car is tore apart? I bought it new in 07. So i know and have the entire maintenance history on it. I have had zero issues out of normal wear on the car in nearly 10 years. So i figure between whats getting replaced and the fact ive had no issue, it'll last a while.

Thanks, trying to give my cousin a decent car to have for college. Hes always liked the car since he was a little kid.

Hes used my Infiniti a few times and treated it well, i know because I use that Hum thing from verizon on my work trucks and used one on my car when he takes it. He fills it up, washes and vacuums it beforr bringing it back as a thanks.

Last edited by Katsumoto; 05-17-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
that list is perfect imo. i have an 07 ive owned since 2010 that i put 125k on (bought with 30k mileage and now around 155k). she's bullet proof as i didn't change a thing except regular maintenance. within the past week i just replaced my ignition coils, spark plugs, oil change, and both filters. runs like a dream!

if you plan on do the suspension upgrades i'd highly recommend the progress rear sway, sooo good! i just installed that last night and it's unreal how planted that rear-end is now. front-end feels mushy but i springs and struts have never been replaced in the past 10 years so it's about time.

solid list bro and your cousin will have a "bullet proof" ride for years to come

Old 05-17-2017, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
forgot to mention; do the xenon upgrade its cheap and also make sure you clean his headlights with one of the kits.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by tecra
that list is perfect imo.

if you plan on do the suspension upgrades i'd highly recommend the progress rear sway, sooo good.
solid list bro and your cousin will have a "bullet proof" ride for years to come
Ah, if theres money left Ill see. I used to be able to get a rear tire to lift when I took it to the track a few times. Id rather let him upgrade it so its his car.
And not give him something thats has a few upgrades and he get over confident and overcooks it one day.

The upgrades will be mostly stock replacements, other than brakes. The front is getting drilled and slotted rotors and upgraded pads because it was 50 bucks more than the OEM replacement style components. I figured for 50 buckd extra slightly better pads and rotors might help him one day.

Probably throw onto the list with a new fuel pump, filter, clean injectors and o2 sensors. Or at least the filter, clean injectors and 02 sensors.

Just depends. Id rather spend the money replacing a shit load of parts so he gets a car that has 2-2500 dollars worth of new parts than some old POS for 2k.

Originally Posted by tecra
forgot to mention; do the xenon upgrade its cheap and also make sure you clean his headlights with one of the kits.
The car has some TYC black headlights from Rock Auto. I replaced them a few years ago and had them clearcoated before putting them on to help them last and they still look good.

What do you mean by xenon upgrade, just buy some nice bulbs and stick in? If thats the case I have some decent bulbs in it now. Its some ebay japan kit a friend sent me. Its LED bulbs, with a converter harness to the stock plug in. They are pretty bright, that at night most people think they're high beams.

Forgot to mention, I got some Fiesta ST wheels I bought from the neighbor with bad tires. I'll give him those wheels with the car. So he can use them once the tires on the steelies wear out. Its kinda an upgrade to steelies even if they are Ford wheels on a Honda.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:48 PM
how many miles on the car?

Old 05-25-2017, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by radioarno
try reading, it's exhilarating

Old 05-25-2017, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by radioarno
180 and ticking it looks like....lol

Old 05-25-2017, 06:17 PM
thank you Sono

Old 06-03-2017, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
what about the bearings in the transmission? I have seen videos of them...they need to be replaced for sure.