1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Looking at getting a used 07/08 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 11:41 AM
Looking at getting a used 07/08 Fit

Hi All,

I'm new here but have been eyeing the Honda Fit as a daily driver/commuter car. I don't have a ton of money and I saw that a dealership is selling a 07 Honda Fit manual with 130k miles for about $3500 in PA. Does anyone know if this is a good price? And when I go test drive it, are there things that I should be looking for that's common in the 07 Fits?

Thanks!

Old 06-20-2017, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
Its a pretty durable little car, the carpets are junk from day 1,
The front light bulbs are kind of a pain to change.
The cabin air filter is easy.
The the under tray is fairly cheasy as well as the fender liners but they are cheap.
Just buy a big ass bag of the retainer plastic gadgets and keep them in the side pocket in the rear. via Ebay they are cheap by the hundred, I don't even try to take them out just punch them out with a screwdriver.

Lots of good stuff on here..

Old 06-29-2017, 08:47 AM
5 Year Member
Check under the roof strips for cracks in the caulk that will cause water leaks. Procedure (Similar for most Hondas and not made by me):

Check for rust around the inside of rear wheel arches.

Last edited by john380; 06-29-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
At 130K, the car should have had new plugs installed at 100K, at least one valve lash adjustment, and if the coilpacks are original, they are probably on their last legs. Once the coilpacks go, your engine will start having all kinds of issues, and they don't always throw codes, so best to get this done sooner rather than later.

So if it were me purchasing this vehicle, I'd ask the dealer about these issues. If the dealer doesn't care to determine if it's still on the original plugs/coilpacks, might be a bargaining chip in your favor, as you don't want to let this go.

Replacing the plugs and coilpacks is not difficult. It's much easier on the 07-08 Fits because the next gen has the wiper motor in the way. You'll need a spark plug socket on a long extension (I like the magnetic spark plug sockets, no worrying about rubber gaskets dropping into the combustion chamber - yes, I've done this, not fun), a 10mm hex wrench, and some dielectric grease. Procedure is outlined somewhere on this forum, shouldn't be difficult to find.

I strongly recommend the OEM iridium plugs (Denso or NGK) and the OEM Hitachi coilpacks, part number ends in 0053. If you cheap out and get non-iridium plugs, don't expect them to last another 100K, and if you cheap out and get any other coilpacks than the OEM Hitachis - such as the Beck-Arnleys - no way they'll last another 100K.

As to the valve lash adjustment, that's a little more involved, as you're pulling the head just to get there. I like Carbuff2's suggestion of a set of bent feeler gauges, much easier to use than standard straight feeler gauges. You may or may not need a new valve gasket once you're done. It's almost all labor and very few parts.

As far as cost: From rockauto.com last I checked, a set of four OEM Hitachi coilpacks around $200, a set of OEM iridium plugs another $30. The valve lash is something you may not want to tackle yourself - typically 3-4 hr. labor - and the price for that is all over the place. Check with several service places because of the wide variety of prices charged.

Good luck, and if you get the Fit, let us know how it turns out.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:25 AM
I bought an 08 Fit exactly a year ago, with 95k miles on it, for 3500. Favorite car ever. Never had plugs or coils changed, never had a valve job, no leakage around hood or doors. I already purchased OE plugs and hitachi 0053 coils from rockauto and will do valves in the next month, helped by the excellent diy on valves from this site. I did change a front bulb, and it was a pita indeed. This site is priceless, there's people on here who *really* know what they're talking about, and they'll help.