1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Buying 2007 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 10:22 PM
Buying 2007 Fit

I'm buying a 07 Fit soon off of craigslist. One that I have my eye on is at a good price but the milage is steep. 189k!

After reading the stories about the coilpack issues I'm skeptical now. Is this a widespread headache for most Fit owners?

How much should I be paying for a Clean Title, Automatic, Fit with 189K?

Old 07-13-2017, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
I wouldn't pay more than $3000, and considerably less if possible.

Plugs and coilpacks should have been replaced at 100K, valve adjust at 60K. If the seller can't tell you whether these have all been done, offer less.

The plugs and coilpacks are not hard to replace. You'll need a 10mm hex, a spark plug socket on a long extension (I like the magnetic spark plug sockets, much easier to work with than the grommet type, and the rubber grommet can fall into the combustion chamber - not fun - I know, it's happened to me), and some dielectric grease. Various DIY instructions in the DIY section.

As far as plugs, you want the OEM iridiums (Denso or NGKs), and for the coilpacks, get the OEM Hitachi, part number ends in 0053. Don't cheap out and get non-iridium plugs or any other coilpack, because you won't get anywhere close to 100K on them. Last I checked at rockauto, the coilpacks were around $200 a set, the plugs around $30 a set.

Valve adjust is a little more involved, as you have to pull the head to get at them. Almost all labor and no parts except maybe a new valve cover gasket if you need it. I like Carbuff2's recommendation of bent feeler gauges to do this, considerably easier than straight feeler gauges. This will take awhile - figure 3-4 hr. at least if you haven't done it before. Specs for the intake valve clearance is .006 - .007 in., and for the exhaust, .010 - .012 in. What typically happens in this engine is that intake valves get pounded open and the exhaust valves pounded shut over time. I find the exhaust clearance to be more important than the intake, and that leads to the engine not breathing as well, meaning some exhaust gas gets left in the chamber, decreasing the power stroke. When I did my first valve adjust, felt like I gained an extra gear on my 5MT. No kidding.

At this mileage, you'll be ready for some other parts soon, maybe a new radiator, shocks & struts, serpentine belt, just to name a few. I'm sure there are others.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by bargainguy; 07-13-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:53 PM
coils aren't a headache. Many people are having their coils last and last. If you need to change the coils it's $200, and very simple; if you can open a tube of toothpaste you can change your coils. Many first gen owners are finding their plugs are lasting with no apparent ageing; the OEM plugs are *eternal*. I would def buy a first gen for $4000 with 185k miles. Here in Canada you couldn't get one for less than $6000. I bought a 2008 last Summer and couldn't be happier. I haven't heard of rad problems nor shocks and struts. Of course doing the valves makes sense, and I plan to do mine later this Summer, but my car is working great, getting 48 mpg highway!

Last edited by radioarno; 07-13-2017 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member
Coilpacks are not an issue as bargainguy mentioned. $200 USD and you are done.

If the car has been in the salt belt, check for rusty driveshafts. They have been known to break unexpectedly...yikes.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:11 AM
5 Year Member
Lots of good advice but I wanted to clarify you don't need to pull the head to adjust the valves, just the plastic half of the intake, the valve cover, and move some wires. I also didn't completely remove the throttle body, just unbolted it from the intake. There are rubber gaskets between these parts and should be replaced.

Also check for cracks in the caulk under the roof strips. It's an easy fix with some silicone sealant.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
I wouldn't pay no more than 2k for a 190k Honda Fit. Keep in mind that you don't know what service the owner did.