1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

What do these two (always on) idiot lights telling me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 06:44 PM
What do these two (always on) idiot lights telling me?

Hello all,

I have had these two idiot lights on ever since I got my Fit.

(Its the lights below the E symbol.)

Any info on these? Gotta feeling it's kinda a common thing.......

Old 04-12-2018, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
First, check your owner's manual. They always describe the lights in the dash.

Top one is an airbag light. Bottom is ABS. Beyond that, have codes read at your local shop or autozone. Have it checked mechanically. You can't diagnose anything from just the light.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
Since those are two of the safety systems, I concur ... get it checked out. When the ABS light is on it is likely you have no ABS. If the airbag light is on .. it doesn't necessarily mean the airbag is disabled, it could be triggered if one of the airbags (for example the front seat) were disconnected from the system. It's a signal to get the system checked.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:37 AM
Hello all,

I went to Autozone as was suggested, but their meter wouldn't read the info on these two lights. They told me to take it to a mechanic down the street from them, but they weren't setup to read these either. So they told me to take it to this shop that just works on Honda's. Which I did today. Got both read today for $80.

The airbag light has to do with my driver's seat. I replaced the driver's seat and I didn't know about the computer that was supposed to be replaced with the seat. I think he said my computer is blown and I need to replace it. Or does each seat match up with a computer?

The second light is pointing to a sensor for the front left wheel. I'm not familiar with this sensor either.

Any help on how to approach this is much appreciated. The mechanic said it's parts I can get at the wreckers. Some directions would be awesome.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:32 PM
5 Year Member
As far as the ABS problem goes, each wheel has a pickup that is part of the ABS system. The rationale behind ABS is that it keeps the wheels turning under hard braking so that you can still control the car. In order to do this, the ABS controller has to "know" that each wheel is still turning, and to make pressure adjustments to brakes on wheels that are not turning, turning too slow, or turning too fast, in order for you to have control. The code they downloaded indicates that your problem is with the speed sensor on the left front spindle, or with the wiring associated with the sensor.

The sensor is easy to find. Remove the left front wheel. You will see a wire with a connector coming down from the body to a rubber plug on the spindle housing. The first thing that I would try would to be to disconnect the plug, and using an ohm meter, test the sensor. If your reading is infinite resistance, you have found the problem, the sensor is open. Next, check resistance between one side of the sensor connector and a solid metal ground, that should read infinity, repeat between the other side of the connector and ground, that should also read infinity. Any kind of a resistance reading there indicates a short to ground, and therefore a bad sensor. If you get some kind of a resistance reading when testing both sides of the sensor plug, I would compare your reading with the sensor on the right front spindle. If they're roughly the same, the sensor is good, and the problem lies elsewhere, and it's time to find a manual, or a friend who knows how to troubleshoot an ABS system, or both. :-) Hope this is a bit of a help.

Last edited by BilgeRat; 05-28-2018 at 07:20 PM.