2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag warning light on (again)/ PAX airbag OFF flashing

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 11:55 PM
Airbag warning light on (again)/ PAX airbag OFF flashing

Gang:

My red airbag warning light is on for the second time. I have a '10 Fit Sport with around 2500 miles. The light has come on in the exact same set of circumstances both times. I am a flight attendant and tend to work a lot of three-day trips. The car sits for 48-54 hours...then I arrive and drive an hour home. After 10 minutes, the light comes on. This time, the yellow PAX AIRBAG OFF light began flickering on and off intermittently as well. The first time this happened (last week, as it were), the next morning I drove immediately to the dealer. When I started the car, the light went off as it normally would.

The service manager informed me that since the light was no longer on, the machine could not diagnose an airbag system fault. Furthermore, he said that since my car sat for 2 days without being started, the electrical system wasn't supplying the voltage necessary to run the airbag system.
He also stated (AND THIS IS BIG) that when the red light on the display illuminates, the airbags are DISABLED. However, if this is true, shouldn't the PAX AIRBAG OFF and SIDE AIRBAG OFF lights come on then? He also stated Honda airbag voltage was much tighter in tolerance to fault then most manufacturers.

The bottom line here...what should I do? Obviously, this is a serious problem. This car will sit 48-60 hours without being driven 4-5 times a month. I cannot drive home an hour each time with no airbags! Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks a bunch!

Brad

Old 07-26-2010, 01:46 AM
Somethings fishy. If the airbag system faults it will trip an OBDII code. CEL will not light. If that system clears itself, which it might, the code is then stored in 'history' and is retrievable. At least this is how I understand it. Ittermittant problems can be a bitch to diagnose.

I wouldn't think letting your ride sit would effect the air bag's. The service guy is inferring that there's some loss of power as in battery drain???

I would return and have a talk with the service manager you're simply not in a position to accept this. Your under full warranty.

K_C_

Old 07-26-2010, 02:00 AM
5 Year Member
Did you have anything on the front seat? I went grocery shopping the other night and had a couple of packages on the front seat. It must have been just heavy enough or something to fake out the sensor because it would come on and off intermittently during that ride. The minute I cleared the bags off, it was over. So, anything at all leaning on, in front of, or just in the seat other than a body?

Dan

Old 07-26-2010, 05:13 PM
Update 1:

Thanks for the replies....the car has been delivered to the dealer with the light "on"...so hopefully some light will be shed.

I DID NOT have anything in the front seat this time...the last time (a week ago) my mother was sitting in the front seat...but that time the yellow light wasn't on. This time it was on and it was "just me". The service adviser asked me if anything was in the seat, like you just did.

Either way, my mom was in the front seat and the RED light illuminated...so something else must be amiss. I'm a little miffed about this...Ive been told twice that these sensors (voltage, occupant sensors) are VERY sensitive. I get the whole "over-engineering" thing by Honda...but this just borders on the ridiculous.

This car has now been in the shop more than my 07 Grand Caravan which I put 65k miles on...I'm hoping this the end of my dealer visits.

BJK

Old 07-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Air Bag Warning Light On / Update 2 - read this!

Update 2:

So the car is now at the Honda dealer being looked at. The service guy assured me he would call me this morning...now its 2:20 Eastern...and I call him. He says they pulled the SRS codes and cleared them AFTER unplugging my ScanGauge II. The TECH says that once the he unplugged my Scangauge the AIRBAG problem went away (SENSATION!). So the tech drives the car and the airbag light stays off.

Just to make sure its right, the service manager lets the car sit for a bit, then drives it again. Sure enough, the light comes back on, even with Scangauge II unplugged. He said something to the effect that the SC was plugged into some DCT port (sp?)..I told him its on the OBD-II port and that it cannot write anything...only read...he said it was irrelevant since the Scangauge can'T possibly be the culprit (duh!) So the car goes back to the tech for more troubleshooting. Apparently the codes are related to seat belts....but I didn't get the whole story.

*sigh*

BK

Old 07-27-2010, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
Good grief. Sorry it's so screwy for you. If you don't get a good feeling about their ability to problem solve, I'd get it to someone else who has a good rep for that. Scratching heads and wild stabs can sometimes make matters worse. You know when they don't know. It screams at you from inside while they're talking to you. It's usually best to not let them waste more of your time. Keep us posted...I'm interested, at least. Fingers crossed.

Dan

Old 07-28-2010, 12:42 AM
greyfox Interesting issue, haven't seen a problem like it on the forum. At least you got to them and they're chasing it. It's the intermittent problems that are tough. Start by eliminating things. Seeing the scan-gauge must have got them thinking right off it was the problem, so now they really start looking.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by renjie123456
Excellent list! I've learned more from this forum in about 2 days than I have at any other forum community.
Welcome to the freak show_ Stick around and you'll be totally amazed.

K_C_

Old 07-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Airbag warning light ON - Update 4

Update-4:

Guys (gals):

Well they have officially diagnosed this as a bad wiring harness (shorted, chafed/broken,etc.) . The harness runs under the carpet and connects the front and rear seat belt tensioners to the SRS computer. Needless to say, I am highly disappointed. The service manager assures me they only have to pull up a little carpet to get at the harness, so I guess I am OK with that.

As long as they don't have to rip out the seats, the dash, etc. I love this car but this has been really something. I guess NO ONE makes cars like they used to...I just hope this solves this once and for all. At least my drivetrain is perfect! =)

They FedEx overnighted the part...so I should get my car back tomorrow (Thursday). *fingers crossed*

Old 07-28-2010, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by greyfox
Update-4:

Guys (gals):

Well they have officially diagnosed this as a bad wiring harness (shorted, chafed/broken,etc.) . The harness runs under the carpet and connects the front and rear seat belt tensioners to the SRS computer. Needless to say, I am highly disappointed. The service manager assures me they only have to pull up a little carpet to get at the harness, so I guess I am OK with that.

As long as they don't have to rip out the seats, the dash, etc. I love this car but this has been really something. I guess NO ONE makes cars like they used to...I just hope this solves this once and for all. At least my drivetrain is perfect! =)

They FedEx overnighted the part...so I should get my car back tomorrow (Thursday). *fingers crossed*
Well one good thing about the FIT is that it isn't made like they used to_

You really do have an excellent car and it seems like you're being treated well. You stuck to it and they responded. I wouldn't be too concerned with the repairs, I'll bet you wont even be able to notice they did anything at all except getting it working like it should.

Welcome to the forum and happy motoring.

K_C_

Old 07-29-2010, 03:20 PM
Update-5:

Hey gang...well bad news...the dealer called me and informed me the car was fixed. I went over to pick it up, drove 2 miles from the dealer, and the airbag light was again illuminated.

Needless to say, I will be now forced to invoke my rights under Florida's Lemon Law. I shall further withhold any comments against the manufacturer or the car itself, as I am sure this is an isolated incident to my car.

That said, I will never purchase another Honda car, and I will be requesting a full refund of purchase price and not a comparable vehicle.

BJK

Old 07-29-2010, 03:23 PM
Well that sure sucks...

Old 07-29-2010, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe just take it back and ask them to fix it? I'd request a loaner at this point. If they refuse call the regional Honda USA manager. This is Honda you're dealing with, not Ford or GM (although my wife get's loaners without asking on her Pontiac. She needs them). Cars are complex. Often it takes more than one attempt to repair something, especially if the problem is intermittent.

The FL lemon law only comes after the 3rd attempt to fix something, then you must file the MVDN and give them one more try.

• Did you purchase or lease your vehicle NEW in the State of Florida? Answer
  • Does your vehicle have a defect or condition that substantially impairs the use, value or safety of the vehicle? Answer
  • Have you taken the vehicle to the dealership or an authorized service agent at least 3 times for the SAME substantial defect or condition or has the vehicle been out of service for at least 15 cumulative calendar days due to one or more substantial defect or conditions? Answer
  • Have you mailed by registered or express mail, return receipt requested, to the manufacturer of your vehicle the Motor Vehicle Defect Notification (MVDN) form located in your Lemon Law Handbook provided at the time of purchase? Answer
  • Have you had a final repair attempt/inspection after the manufacturer received the MVDN? Answer
  • Do you have work orders to verify the repairs to your vehicle? Answer
If you answered YES to the six questions above, you could qualify for protection under the Lemon Law.

link.