General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Airbag Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 08:32 AM
5 Year Member
Airbag Problems?

I recently took the Fit on its first real road trip from San Diego to Dallas and along the way the first thing I though was weird was the passenger airbag light coming on and off periodically, but then it stopped. About half way the driver (red) airbag light started doing the same thing, flickering on and off. Now, the passenger airbag light has been working fine, but after about 5 minutes of driving around the drivers airbag light comes on and doesnt go off. I dont really know why it does that, I am hoping someone on here might have some insight into why this is happening. I plan on taking it to the dealership ASAP to get this looked at, but after my trip I havent really had the chance yet to take it in to be looked at.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:38 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Well I do remember that they said something about a sensor that would turn the airbags on and off depending on your position so as not to harm you if they were forced to deploy.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:42 AM
5 Year Member
it should be the weight sensor in the passenger seat, but since it is a new car....dont hessitate to take it to the dealer for a warranty check!!

Old 07-31-2006, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
You don't happen to be one of those people who leans against the driver's side door, while driving, are you? If so, then try sitting centered in the seat, and see if the problem goes away. I know the owner's manual specifically states it will turn off the passenger side airbag, if it senses that the passenger is probably leaning against the door (based upon weight distribution in the seat cushion), so it may do the same on the driver's side.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by 07TaffetaFit
I recently took the Fit on its first real road trip from San Diego to Dallas and along the way the first thing I though was weird was the passenger airbag light coming on and off periodically, but then it stopped. About half way the driver (red) airbag light started doing the same thing, flickering on and off. Now, the passenger airbag light has been working fine, but after about 5 minutes of driving around the drivers airbag light comes on and doesnt go off. I dont really know why it does that, I am hoping someone on here might have some insight into why this is happening. I plan on taking it to the dealership ASAP to get this looked at, but after my trip I havent really had the chance yet to take it in to be looked at.
Hey i noticed you have a fujita intake as well

I posted an airbag issue post jsut today about how i removed my intake to take it into the dealer to have the light checked. When i put it the stock intake back in, the light went off. There is something to do with the Fujita CAI intake and the airbag sensor in front of the car, probably on the airbag crash sensor.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:13 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jits14
Hey i noticed you have a fujita intake as well

I posted an airbag issue post jsut today about how i removed my intake to take it into the dealer to have the light checked. When i put it the stock intake back in, the light went off. There is something to do with the Fujita CAI intake and the airbag sensor in front of the car, probably on the airbag crash sensor.
I have that intake and have no problems at all..

Old 07-31-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by sLiVeRwOrM
I have that intake and have no problems at all..
Yeah I don't think it is so much a product issue as it seems to be an install issue. I think if you are installing the filter and bump whatever signals the sensor, it will trigger it. I think it just depends on if you get lucky installing it the first time without bumping something. I know I was kinda rough with it when I installed the piping....very close tolerances.

It just seems wierd that it goes away when putting in the stock filter.