1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Racing scca autocross h street need suspension advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 08:36 PM
Racing scca autocross h street need suspension advice

Looking for aftermarket suspension!!!! Rules for my class specify I must use factory springs. Is there any adjustable struts or even non adjustable koni or similar struts available for these cars? I am also looking for a stiffer front sway bar. Rules also specify that I can only add or remove one sway bar and I have already raced with a stiff rear bar and I am getting too much three wheel action, sometimes two wheels and nearly no wheels on the ground (near rollover on course). I am thinking a stiffer front end struts/sway bar will yield a more stable and safer race car. Please stay on topic as I am just looking for reputable vendors and parts. Thanks

Old 07-30-2018, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member
Tokico HTS is your only option for adjustable dampening... There are KYB and Tokico blues but they're on par with OEM dampers.

As for bars, have you tried simply disconnecting the front and running NO roll bars at all?

Old 07-30-2018, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
I've autocross for the last four years with either my DS Subaru WRX or my HS 2017 Fit in two tough regions. Both have many current and past national champions. I turned my WRX into an awful street car trying to maximize the car for the street category. The WRX had Koni's, biggest rear sway bar I could find, actually had three different sizes testing, whatever the latest and greatest 200TW tire was and many different alignments with at the end maxing out the camber in the front, 1/16" total front toe out and 1/4" total toe out in the rear and Carbotech AX6 brake pads. The Fit I've left stock other than Bridgestone RE-71R.

I guess my first question is what is your level of autocross experience and with what type of club?

Secondly, there's nothing wrong with 3 wheels on sharp turns for a street category car. Just the nature of the beast with the limited mods allowed in the street clashes. Most cars FWD or AWD in street trim lift the rear wheel.

What tires are you on? I'd be on either RE-71R or Rival S 1.5 depending on if you race on concrete or blacktop?

Lastly leave your car stock other than tires and focus on driving. Depending on your level of experience either take the class at your local SCCA chapter or sign up for EVO school.. Best advice given to me was my Milwaukee region instructor when I first started. Bart Hockerman, who's name is known in the Subaru circles. Anyway, I had all kinds of setup and car questions on to get faster. Bart's response was "Just put it in 2nd and drive" So that being said. You don't have the car for HS. You either need to buy a Fiesta ST or something like a 2006 Civic Si. The Fit is like bringing a knife to a gunfight. So instead of trying to make your underdog better, work on making yourself a better driver.

Last edited by Rob H; 07-30-2018 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by Hootie
Tokico HTS is your only option for adjustable dampening... There are KYB and Tokico blues but they're on par with OEM dampers.

As for bars, have you tried simply disconnecting the front and running NO roll bars at all?

do they make these struts specific for the fit or is there Koni yellows available and more importantly do you know where I can buy them? I have tried running no sway bar in the front it does okay but it becomes very tippy on race tires I want to be more stable slaloms.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by Rob H
I've autocross for the last four years with either my DS Subaru WRX or my HS 2017 Fit in two tough regions. Both have many current and past national champions. I turned my WRX into an awful street car trying to maximize the car for the street category. The WRX had Koni's, biggest rear sway bar I could find, actually had three different sizes testing, whatever the latest and greatest 200TW tire was and many different alignments with at the end maxing out the camber in the front, 1/16" total front toe out and 1/4" total toe out in the rear and Carbotech AX6 brake pads. The Fit I've left stock other than Bridgestone RE-71R.

I guess my first question is what is your level of autocross experience and with what type of club?

Secondly, there's nothing wrong with 3 wheels on sharp turns for a street category car. Just the nature of the beast with the limited mods allowed in the street clashes. Most cars FWD or AWD in street trim lift the rear wheel.

What tires are you on? I'd be on either RE-71R or Rival S 1.5 depending on if you race on concrete or blacktop?

Lastly leave your car stock other than tires and focus on driving. Depending on your level of experience either take the class at your local SCCA chapter or sign up for EVO school.. Best advice given to me was my Milwaukee region instructor when I first started. Bart Hockerman, who's name is known in the Subaru circles. Anyway, I had all kinds of setup and car questions on to get faster. Bart's response was "Just put it in 2nd and drive" So that being said. You don't have the car for HS. You either need to buy a Fiesta ST or something like a 2006 Civic Si. The Fit is like bringing a knife to a gunfight. So instead of trying to make your underdog better, work on making yourself a better driver.

yeah I have a fair bit of experience and I podium every event. The car is on re71 and is 100% for driver development. You gotta drive this thing to the limit if you want to even get close to a good driver in a more competitive h street car I'm racing every weekend between three different regions and I wanna squeeze a little more with shocks and a front sway bar so if you know of any good after market retailers please let me know as I am finding that to be the most challenging aspect of this car. Specifically looking for some shocks and struts that will work with the stock front springs and a stiff front sway bar with adjustable links

Old 07-30-2018, 08:47 AM
And yes three wheels are good. Two wheels four feet off the ground not good hahah if I can't get it more stable I will have no choice but to pull the car as there are moments it is truly seeing the limit

Old 07-30-2018, 08:35 PM
I have found KONI ORANGE to be the only performance shock strut available. Any other suggestions would be great and still havent found a front sway bar.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
There are NO direct fit Koni Yellows for the GD3 Fit. Some can be used for the rear but I do believe that they are off of a Saab and very slight modification is needed if I remember right (bore out one of the collars for the shock I think?).

07-08 Fit

^^ Chris at Redshift Motorsports should be able to get you sorted on Tokico HTSs. Not cheap, not as good as the Koni Yellow (from what I hear in comparisons) but still a good off the shelf performance shock. I've had mine for about 6 years now and haven't been disappointed with them at all during AX days or street use.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:43 AM
Right on thanks

Old 07-31-2018, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
There are NO direct fit Koni Yellows for the GD3 Fit. Some can be used for the rear but I do believe that they are off of a Saab and very slight modification is needed if I remember right (bore out one of the collars for the shock I think?).

07-08 Fit

^^ Chris at Redshift Motorsports should be able to get you sorted on Tokico HTSs. Not cheap, not as good as the Koni Yellow (from what I hear in comparisons) but still a good off the shelf performance shock. I've had mine for about 6 years now and haven't been disappointed with them at all during AX days or street use.
I wasn't happy with the Koni on my WRX for autocross. If I were to do over, I would go with the Bilstein. It's a pay up front or pay me later situation. The initial cost of the Bilstein is more, but the cost to get re-valved is less and more readily available. The Koni are 60% of the cost of the Bilstein, but it will cost the purchase price plus to get re-valved. Unless you go to the Solo Nationals where I guess Koni will rebuild/re-valve for the cost of parts or so I'm told. In addition I found the adjusters on my Koni yellow useless. Only seemed to work about 60% of the range of adjustment otherwise they were like full stiff. Then the adjustment part didn't have any clicks so not sure how you can equalize based on turning 1-1/2" knob without any reference? That assumes they were matched or equal to start?

Old 07-31-2018, 09:42 PM
Is there a direct fit for bilsteins? Tokico HTS and koni orange are so far all i've got to compare.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
Tokico HTS you say??? I have a pair of rears, brand new, if you are interested.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:31 PM
send me a pm

Old 08-02-2018, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by domoMKIV
Tokico HTS you say??? I have a pair of rears, brand new, if you are interested.
Still? Fawk! LOL

Old 08-08-2018, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by moe stacolli
send me a pm
Sent.

Still? Fawk! LOL
lol, it probably doesn't help that I don't really even attempt to sell them. I can't remember the last time I bumped my thread or looked at the FB page.