1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

New member questions

Old 09-06-2018, 09:31 PM
New member questions

Hello everyone, new member from Ontario, Canada. I recently sold my fun car and my winter beater kicked the bucket. My fun car was a 2003 Acura CL-S manual with a supercharger. Sad to see her go . We decided to get a small car for my wife’s commute. So far loving the Fit but I had a few questions.

The car hesitates after switching gears. I’m planning on a tune up. I’m going to do new plugs. I also thought about taking the intake manifold off to clean out all the egr ports and remove the carbon. On my CL I cleaned the manifold a few times. On my CL I was able to reuse the metal gaskets. Can I do the same on the Fit? Anything else I should know? I looked but didn’t see any DIYs on the intake manifold cleaning. Any other things to look at regarding the hesitation?

Im looking at some 16” rims for the summer setup. Found some rims on 205/45/16 which should work with the speedo. I’m on stock suspension, so what offset/width can I get away with without rubbing?

Thanks in advance

some pics of my CL and Fit

Last edited by TheHammerFit; 09-06-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
Welcome and congrat's on the Fit purchase. Sorry you let your CL go, but on to new things...right?

The biggest key items to Fit's running well are coils, plugs and valve adjustments. If it's not misfiring or throwing a code, the coils are probably OK. Plugs need to be NGK or Denso iridium plugs and they need to be torqued properly. These things have a tendency to eject plugs. Valve adjustments are the other key ingredient. Especially for GD's. I've done ours every 50k miles and they've been significantly out of adjustment each time. Honda dealers and owners ignore the owners manual that call for checking the valves. A check means pulling the valve cover and using a feeler gauge to physically check. It's very easy and cost next to nothing if you DIY.

We run 16x7's on ours that are +40 offset. Get slight rubbing in the rear on big dips. If you want zero rubbing, you want +43 to +48 offset with 7" wide wheels.

I don't know the service history on your Fit, but ours is pretty darn clean inside at almost 200k miles. It's unlikely that you need to mess with cleaning the intake. You could visually see what the throttle body looks like (ours is still clean), but tread lightly on cleaning it as you can cause more harm than good.

Again...welcome!

Old 09-06-2018, 11:22 PM
Great info I appreciate it! Yes the CL was great to me. Super reliable and pretty quick. We have 3 boys and our other car is an Odyssey so it made sense. Grown up decisions.

I did a valve adjustment on the CL, and I think I still have my feeler gauge. I'll put that on the list. Any gaskets that I should grab before digging into that?

The service history is pretty limited. I took it out today and when I got into higher RPMs I saw the check engine flash but went away. Perhaps that's the valves out of wack. I'm going to pull the plugs this weekend and inspect things. I still need to finish my clay/compound/polish and wax.

I'll be putting in a Bluetooth kit this weekend so we can do hands free calling. I'm going to order a new shift knob too.

Out of curiosity, what are the best bang for your buck mods for more HP?

Old 09-06-2018, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
All of the gaskets are re-usable. I separate the lower from upper intake and remove the entire thing as one piece. So, no need for throttle body gasket.

If you are concerned about being positive you can get the car right back on the road, you may want to have a new valve cover gasket ready. You could, in theory need one, although we haven't yet. The only need is some gray silicone gasket maker. You'll need two dabs where the timing chain cover mates to the cylinder head.

You can play around with a cold air intake, header, and exhaust if you want, but the reality is that none of them make much of a difference without a Hondata to be able to tune the thing. Most people find that the ECU darn near "corrects" back to stock power without a tune. The Hondata isn't cheap though so you have to decide if it's worth the expense.

Be mindful with the wheels you pick. Anything even normal weight and you'll be going backwards in performance. Think light with any decisions you make for the Fit. It's very weight sensitive if performance is your goal.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:32 PM
Ok thanks again for the tips. I found a great DIY on youtube from a member on here. I think i'll wait on the plugs as they have to come out for the valves anyways.

On my CL there were a few bolt ons that made a big difference without tuning, I was hoping the same applied to the Fit. Maybe i'll look at a light weight crank pulley. On my CL I had RPF1s and I'd love to find some for the fit.

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a bug deflector and some window rain guards. I just love the way they look on this car.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TheHammerFit

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a bug deflector and some window rain guards. I just love the way they look on this car.
I'm a bit biased, but I agree We have the Mugen vent visors and Zeta hood deflector. The Mugen's are still available from King Motorsport, but I don't believe Zeta offers the hood deflector any more. Pretty sure there are lots of other options though.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:53 PM
Looks clean! I'm on the lookout for some in Canada. I was just in Myrtle Beach for 2 weeks, I should have ordered some then.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:29 PM
Bluetooth is in the car and working. Got the kit from a local place GTAcarkits. I got my new angled feeler gauge in the mail and I'm just waiting on plugs to do the valve adjustment.

I find the shifter has a lot of play. Does anyone recommend something to remedy this? Does anyone make good shifter bushings?

Old 09-12-2018, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
We installed a Mugen shifter when new and it greatly firmed things up. Recently I notice a bit of slip creeping back in and I suspect it's the shifter cable bushings on the transmission getting worn.

I don't have a review yet because I haven't installed them, but I ordered a set of bushings made by Torque Solutions.

Just a heads up. I found out that all bushings are the same that start with part number TC-SCB-5xx. The "xx" part is interchangeable so any with that starting number are the same. Just letting you know for price shopping. Get the cheapest ones you find that are 500, 501, 502, etc model number.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:37 PM
Ok thanks! I found the Torque Solutions bushings for $43 locally. Seems reasonable. The short shifter is a little more than I want to spend. I thought there would be more parts in the classified honestly.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
I found them on eBay for $24 a couple of months ago.

This place was hopping back in 2008. Multiple turbo/super charger kits, multiple vendors, all kinds of fun stuff. Basically the kind of aftermarket support you see for a Civic Si or s2k.

The Fit model got softer and softer though and the demographic purchasing them changed. The aftermarket basically just halted support.

I'm from a domestic background so it's really, really strange to me. There are more parts available now for 10+ year old domestics than there were when they first came out. I think the import crowd mostly moves on to the next greatest thing. Not my style though. If I like something, I usually keep liking it.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:19 PM
ok i'll check there. I'm hoping to find a junkyard fit with the bug deflector or windows vents.

Parts for my CL were nearly non-existent. We were lucky it shared the same platform as the accord. I always buy cars to keep.

We were able to get my 3 kids in the backseat! One car seat and 2 boosters. We also bought a new dishwasher and the sales guy was like "no way that's fitting in the Fit". We got it in easily with one car seat in the rear still in lol.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit really is amazing for what it "fits." Largest single item we've had in ours was a clothes dryer. Fit with room to spare. Our 55" tv was not even worth mentioning since we could have fit 4 more of them

Have you tried all the odd seat combinations? They are definitely called magic seats for a reason. Relax mode is probably the strangest. It requires removal of front headrests, but if you had to sleep in a small car, this is the one you want.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:57 PM
Bad news today. My wife was in an accident and rear ended a large work van. She is totally fine. Nearly no damage to the van, but because the Fit was so much lower it took a bad hit. Bumper, hood and passenger fender are toast. No fluids are leaking. I'm going to get it home tomorrow and get a better look at it.
it looked like the rad support is welded in. It's there no way to unbolt and put a new one in?
also, can I get a base bumper and put the sport lip on? I don't care too much for the fog lights.

Last edited by TheHammerFit; 09-28-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry about the bad luck! Glad she is OK!

I'm fairly certain that the radiator supports are bolted in, but the problem you'll have it how weak everything is on these cars. I'd be pretty surprised if the rails are bent where the radiator support bolts to them. They are made to crumple and save lives, but are kind of disposable cars.

AFAIK, the base bumper can be used with the sport lip, but I think they are the same price if you go non-OEM new. They are fairly inexpensive.

I don't see the radiator supports listed as a part. Might have to be a junkyard item?

Wish you the best!

Old 09-29-2018, 04:18 PM
Here are some pics. It drives and isn't leaking anything. It's more that some things are bent. The piece that concerns me most is the curved metal that goes from the fender to the front to the other fender.
i found a Fit at a yard, same color and the front end is perfect. I'm going to make a list of pieces I need.

Old 09-29-2018, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
Ouch! Good luck!!!

Old 09-29-2018, 07:34 PM
Fuck, just saw there's a hairline crack in the engine block at the bottom. Noticed a tiny bit of oil. Not worth fixing now. Going to sell off parts.
we looked for months for this color in manual and after one month she's gone. Going to keep my eyes peeled for another deal. We really loved the car. Thanks GAFIT for all your help, hope to be back here soon.
Andrew

Old 09-29-2018, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
Very sad by this news We need more members like you around here and I think you'd really enjoy GD Fit life!

If you haven't already, join TrueFitCrew on FB. Used cars pop up there for sale and many are a good deal.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:49 PM
Thanks I appreciate it! I steer clear of social media, but maybe I could use wife's account lol.

I just came upon an identical blue Fit about 45 min drive away for a great price. Needs tires and brakes but I have my wrecked Fit in the driveway with new brakes and tires. I hope I can make this work out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New member questions