2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

Custom Ram Air Idea

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
Custom Ram Air Idea

Ok so ive been looking at all sorts of intake options for my ge8 and im really stuck, i like the PRM the best but i wish there was a right angle and it came down towards the front rather than tucked behind everything. 1, it would look way better and 2. with my thoughts on some custom work, it could be one of the best working intakes and im suprised no one has thought of this. I will be uploading some sketches but in the mean time ill explain what I(or someone much more talented) would be able to fabricate(MAYBE ROGUE????mixed with JDP???? hint hint)

Anyway, ive seen GD's with a sick grill that has a section on the drivers side that looks like it directs air...

It would be awesome to see something similar but to have a duct behind this with an upward right angle to the rad plate where the vents are...then have a custom rad plate with a wide flat duct that sneaks over the rad support just under the hood since there is space and after it sneaks over to mold from a rectangle into a cylinder shape to direct air strait into a (PRM ideally) intake that has a right angle so it is facing forward. I think this would be awesome, and you dont need to worry about water or rain because the air needs to travel UP before it goes down again into the intake.

If your confused, sketches should help, maybe i will do them at work tomorrow.

Lend me your thoughts and rep if you like the idea!

Oh and btw that stock rubber chute in the hood would obviously be removed since it would be in the way.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:14 AM
5 Year Member
Ok so I couldnt wait until tomorrow and i drew up some REALLY REALLY rough sketches.

here they are, Im thinking if i do fab this up it will be additions on the grill and rad plate because i have no clue how to mold plastic parts and i will prob use aluminum and weld something together. neway, take a look...

TOP/SIDE/FRONT views of grill with vent and rad plate with vent

side cut of car with basic idea

thanks for looking!

Old 09-09-2010, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
would be nice if you some how connected it to the j's racing grill. that is what the slot is for anyways...

Old 09-09-2010, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JCrimson
would be nice if you some how connected it to the j's racing grill. that is what the slot is for anyways...
I have seen the gd3 grill's with that slot but has anyone made one for the ge8 yet? i was thinking of just fabricating a chute behind it that directs air upward and it would maintain a stock appearance but a new grill overall with a designated chute would be awesome and make my job a ton easier

Old 09-09-2010, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
from what i've tested as far as pressure ducting goes, this is the ideal setup... i'm thinking about doing something similar but using home depot pre-made ducting for vents and whatnot...

keep us up to date. good project.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
I really like this idea, I was looking for an intake that was similar to this. It would be excellent if we could get one of the excellent cf fabricators to get in on this with us *cough*rouge*cough*jdp*cough* because i would definitely want this trick piece in cf!

Old 09-14-2010, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the support on this idea guys. I am getting my parts in this week hopefully for my DIY intake.

I chose this route instead of a PRM because
#1 they refused to custom 90deg bend it for me and
#2 its about 180 dollars cheaper, leaving me more money for the ram chute and exhaust to come in the future.

I will post more pictures later in the week when the intake itself is done and then it will be time to start on the chute.

I am not sure if i will be crossing over the rad or not and if thats the case, the stock hood prop will be rendered useless,

Does anyone know where i can get aftermarket hood dampers for the USDM GE8? if there are any?

Old 09-14-2010, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
lol... i was actually thinking the same thing for my GD... look into Pegasus NACA air ducts... there is a guy on turbomiata.com that made pretty sick things with his car

Old 09-14-2010, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
pegasus has a few... naca ducts wouldn't really work for this application though...

negun has some unique and interesting ducts/ports... most is expensive though...

racerpartswholesale.com has some ducts as well...

Old 09-14-2010, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
Im planning on making my ductwork out of some thin aluminum because its lightweight and easy to bend/form and easily riveted. Im planning on covering it in that relective insulating stuff. does anyone know what its called or where i can get it?

Old 09-14-2010, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
do you plan to find a way to attach it to the hood or above the rad? i know that some subaru models have these... maybe there is a way too find ducts in junk yards for instance

Old 09-14-2010, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cr4zy3lgato
do you plan to find a way to attach it to the hood or above the rad? i know that some subaru models have these... maybe there is a way too find ducts in junk yards for instance
Its going to be attached to the rad plate and the rad support. nothing attached to the hood. as a matter of fact that entire floppy rubber attempt at an air duct will be removed. which might allow me to mock up some sort of hood damper shifted slightly right of center on the hood, which would be awesome and no ones done that. haha, im just full of ideas! lol

Old 09-16-2010, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
the ducts from the suby's won't work... i used to have a saabaru...

take a look around the negun site... they've got some quite complex ducts and whatnot (albeit expensive)... but i think for what we're looking at custom building it is going to be about the only good option...

here are a few easy to use reflective materials:

Reflect-A-Cool | Design Engineering, Inc.

Cool-Tape | Design Engineering, Inc.

Reflect-A-GOLD | Design Engineering, Inc.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:50 PM
what's the progress on this!?! impressed with the ideas and interested in saving money on an intake as well!

Old 09-24-2010, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
if our fit hadn't been in the body shop or indisposed for the past month i'd have progress on this...

Old 09-24-2010, 06:31 PM
damn dude, sorry I brought it up, hope all is well with it!

Old 09-24-2010, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Java^FiT

side cut of car with basic idea

thanks for looking!

dood, is that a jdm conversion in that pic? lol
on a more serious note, wicked idea. i have been looking for an intake myself, and i've been looking at the prm......maybe i'll wait a bit.....

Old 09-25-2010, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member
OK, as far as progress on this goes, I just finished the intake itself and i bought some sheet metal to start fabbing up the heat shield as well as the scoop set for the intake. Give me maybe a week and you will see it all done and ill post some pics, for now here are two of just the intake...

and view my post here
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post913770

Old 09-26-2010, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
OK so after a weekend of thought and work here is my updated status of my idea

Hhere are some updated pics with a heat shield i just fabricated today. Its really secure in there and the only thing i might add to it is rubber in the top and front.

Let me know what you think.

I am going to start working on the air chute from the grill and rad plate next weekend.

So much more satisfying that installing a PRM LOL!

Old 09-26-2010, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
nicely done...

i must have missed it - did you use aluminum sheet metal? what did you use to attach them to each other?

i also never noticed that the ge's have vents on the top of the rad shroud...

Quick Reply: Custom Ram Air Idea