2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

More HP N/A?

Old 09-05-2012, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
More HP N/A?

So, aside from intake and exhaust, is there anything else you could do to make more N/A power from a GE8? I see lots of threads on intakes/exhausts, but not a whole lot else. I don't have the money to throw down for F/I, but I'd like to see a little more from the little SOHC.

I understand that small Hondas are generally better at getting bigger cars in the corners, but I need a little more, and I don't think I/E is quite going to cut it.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:28 PM
One possibility is to mill the head to increase compression. However, that will retard the cam timing. Usually the only thing you have to do is 'adjust' the sprockets to advance it back with aftermarket sprockets. Not sure if that is the best approach on a GE.

Perhaps someone has gone that route?

John

Old 09-05-2012, 10:06 PM
First mistake here is assuming that boost is more expensive.

I'll pre-empt your follow up with boost being more reliable then an NA build.

But what would I know?

Old 09-05-2012, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member
put that money towards a motorcycle

Old 09-05-2012, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
I don't really want to go crazy with this thing. Its still my daily driver after all. Turbo isn't necessarily more expensive for making big numbers, but its not the ideal setup for something that has to survive arctic winters.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
there really isn't any sense in modding the stock motor "naturally aspirated". you're going to spend thousands to make MAYBE 10whp (which you won't even be able to feel)

Old 09-05-2012, 11:22 PM
That doesn't make sense.. turbos love cold weather.

Crazy is spending a grand or more to make no appreciable difference on an NA build.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
intake, header, cat delete, full catback

all you get is a noisy slow car.

OP your fit wouldn't happen to be an autotragic, would it?

Old 09-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Piggyback Tune

I/H/E

Cam and adjustable gear to dial it in

High Comp pistons (and requisite floating pin rods/fasteners/new main and rod bearings)

Or for slightly less money and much more gain.. small turbo on low boost for a tangible difference, greater reliability, better driveability and room to grow later.

Your call, of course.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
that's basically a fully built "na' motor doe. that shit won't be anywhere near as reliable as turbo, and won't give you as much power

Old 09-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
put that money towards a motorcycle
Put that money towards a Kart and do some real wheel to wheel competitive track racing.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
1) In case you couldn't tell, I don't know a lot about turbos. I was told that turbo and cold didn't mix.

2) I think I'm barking up the wrong tree, here. Perhaps the thing to do on my part is find a decent project to work on over the winter.

3) Android suggests "rhino" when I type "think". Not sure what to think if that.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:06 AM
Originally Posted by spryter
2) I think I'm barking up the wrong tree, here. Perhaps the thing to do on my part is find a decent project to work on over the winter.
People get the misconception that because it has an H on the front you can bolt on a few parts from ebay and gain 20HP. That just isn't the case with the L series Fit motors.

It's pretty much FI or bust on significant gains, and those gains aren't what I would consider spectacular either.

You want a project that will make n/a 240bhp out of the box for $6500? Buy my M3.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:57 AM
5 Year Member
Ultra light Enkei RPF1 wheels made a more positive change in performance than anything other than the installation of a supercharger kit....Wheels and tires that weigh the same as stock that I presently have on the Fit slow the rate of acceleration even with the supercharger set up at 10PSI and numerous other performance parts that have been installed that were noticeable in improving power with the lighter wheel/tire setup.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Ultra light Enkei RPF1 wheels made a more positive change in performance than anything other than the installation of a supercharger kit....Wheels and tires that weigh the same as stock that I presently have on the Fit slow the rate of acceleration even with the supercharger set up at 10PSI and numerous other performance parts that have been installed that were noticeable in improving power with the lighter wheel/tire setup.
I have pie cutters on my car. Any idea what they weigh? I ask because I also have a set of Mini "Holies" I bought for $100, but I'm not sure if they'd be lighter. According to a forum post on a mini site, they're 12.1 lbs, and look like this, but white:

Originally Posted by Potenza

People get the misconception that because it has an H on the front you can bolt on a few parts from ebay and gain 20HP. That just isn't the case with the L series Fit motors.

It's pretty much FI or bust on significant gains, and those gains aren't what I would consider spectacular either.

You want a project that will make n/a 240bhp out of the box for $6500? Buy my M3.
I would never think a 1.5L SOHC would make lots of power from bolt ons. I was more hoping that there was something I was missing, that "one more piece" that could get it a little more power.

M3 is nice, but if I were going European, it'd have to be British (I'd love an early 00s XKR or XK8, or a Triumph TR6, or a mad as a hatter TVR). I've kinda wanted to do a rat rod, and there are a lot of bodies available right now. One is only $100 if I can pick it up. A full 1941 Ford something with all the sheetmetal but nothing else.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:19 AM
5 Year Member
gut out your car, its free

Old 09-06-2012, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
A lightweight pulley could give you a couple extra hp:

NST - The Leader In Honda Fit Pulleys

Here's an article in Import Tuner where they installed one on the last generation fit:

Honda Fit Power Pages - Import Tuner Magazine

-Dustin

Old 09-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Fujita F5 Cold Air Intake System (CA- 1924)
$ 248.00
Skunk2 Fit Mega Power Exhaust
$598.45
Unorthodox Racing Crank Pulley
$ 199.9
MSRP Total: $ 1046.44
Bwahahaha thats ~$110/whp

For the amount of torque you pick up (which depends greatly on who's dyno you are using and what correction factor..) with your $200 + shipping pulley, you could just use $12 in colder spark plug and splurge an extra $2-3/tank on better fuel.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 09-06-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Bwahahaha thats ~$110/whp

For the amount of torque you pick up (which depends greatly on who's dyno you are using and what correction factor..) with your $200 + shipping pulley, you could just use $12 in colder spark plug and splurge an extra $2-3/tank on better fuel.
I'm a complete newb when it comes to performance mods, but isn't $110/whp about what you would get with a bolt on turbo kit (assuming you don't go the DIY route, which I'm sure could save a little)?

-Dustin

Old 09-06-2012, 11:32 AM
If you only picked up 30whp, maybe.

My first kit cost me less than $1500, and I was moving 20-22lbs/min air flow @ ~9psi running out of injector on a super rich, conservative tune.. for reference, most stock manual trans fits are moving 8-10lbs/min and only making about ~85-90whp, depending on dyno and conditions.

It's not uncommon to pick up 60-70whp and 70-90wtq even on 5-6psi and a conservative tune with the inefficient small turbos and an undersized intercooler.

Average cost for a full kit if you have no parts on hand, use no previously owned parts and do no wrenching of your own with all bells/whistles, nuts and bolts has been about $2500 for the milder setups accounting for labor on the oilpan return bung, and the turbo manifold /down-pipe fab work.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 09-06-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: More HP N/A?