2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

Battery upgrade for a Fit '09 sport: 51R?

Old 07-22-2014, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
Battery upgrade for a Fit '09 sport: 51R?

Hello,

I read several posts on this forum Re: upgrading the battery on a Honda Fit but the posts are vague since they do not clearly state if their car is a 09 model.

So, is it easy to mod the bracket on a fit '09 to accommodate a 51R battery? Or is it just better to get the 151R? Is it cheaper now?

Thanks!

Hydro

Old 07-22-2014, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
Easy and better are pretty subjective. The installs I've seen of 51R didn't make me want to go that route. Issues with clearance, battery tray, hold-downs, cable connections exist with the larger battery.

I popped in a 151R from NAPA for about $92 with trade. Check your local prices but that was the best I found in my market. This link might work (you may have to do your own search as this is for a local store).

Old 07-22-2014, 11:49 AM
great

Its good to know! I wish the battery was slightly larger :/

Old 07-22-2014, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
I wish it was larger too....but my sons 2009 OEM battery is still working just fine. I also noticed that Walmart now carries the 151R size as regular stock, so I now know that if I need a quick replacment, I can get one. Unless you remove/replace the stock air filter box, the 51R really won't fit correctly.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
I was pretty obnoxious insisting it was cost effective replacing as a maintenance item @ 2 years, only to leave mine in until it was 4.5 years old. I changed it in December just because I really didn't see it lasting another 4.5 years and didn't want to be stuck somewhere in an effort to find out.

The 151R is right sized. If you leave your headlights on overnight the 51R won't save you either.

Wherever you find one, check its date code to see how long it's been sitting on the shelf. I'd avoid anything with a code older than 2 months. Disuse will shorten their lives. NAPA had one dated the same month I purchased it but others have gotten stuck with 6 month old batteries. They're not big sellers.

They're real clever: A14=Jan2014, B14=Feb2014 and so on...

Old 07-22-2014, 09:48 PM
The American mind set: bigger is better!

If you can cough up the dough or plan to keep the car, stick with an OEM battery. Penny pincher, get the Napa (IMO, does not crank as well as OEM). Don't know better and like excessive, stick in a 26R before trying 51R. FWIW, the tray (not the plastic, but the actual carrier tray) can be easily mod to fit all sorts of sizes but why the hell would you want a heavy ass battery in a tiny 4 banger - I guess unless you are running some bangin' system with mega capacitors...
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/show...730&styleid=16

To put it in perspective, the 151 is an oddball size and cost more than the 51. This means it cost more for the OEM as well. They spec'd a smaller/lighter battery for a reason; it has to balance out the overall package. They could have easily cut corners and put in a more common (=cheaper) battery and "cut corners" to save some money and that amount x car sold = savings. If you really want/need the extra CA/CCA/RC, then "even bigger" is better!

Last edited by silentnoise713; 07-23-2014 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:20 PM
the major parts supply stores get majority of their product from the same companies. There is three large battery manufacturers and they all produce decent quality batteries, so do not limit yourself to just purchasing one from napa. a battery from advance auto parts or autozone or oreillys will be just as good a battery. they usually carry a low grade a mid grade and a high grade varrying with price and warranty. the highest priced longest warranty does tend to be the better battery.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:37 PM
5 Year Member
I've had my 151R from Advance Auto Parts - their name is Autocraft Gold. Perfect fitment, no issue cranking, I've had it for a while now. Pay a little extra money for the best OEM fitment.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by getinthezone
the major parts supply stores get majority of their product from the same companies. There is three large battery manufacturers and they all produce decent quality batteries, so do not limit yourself to just purchasing one from napa. a battery from advance auto parts or autozone or oreillys will be just as good a battery. they usually carry a low grade a mid grade and a high grade varrying with price and warranty. the highest priced longest warranty does tend to be the better battery.
+1

I though the Napa was the cheapest. How much are the AA / AZ batteries? If close to OEM, which really isn't that expensive, I'd stick in another OEM battery. the suppliers are the same but OEM batteries have different specs/requirements (typically more stringent than aftermarket) to pass. But this is not to say aftermarket cannot or does not make an even better one.

The best budget battery are from costco! Too bad they don't have 151.

Last edited by silentnoise713; 07-23-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:53 PM
151rdlg is the autozone part number at my local panama city beach autzone. they are $134.99, higher priced but they included a nationwide 5 year warranty ( 3 years free replacement, additional 2 years prorated). i prefer autozone because you dont need the original reciept for any warranty issues, they can pull up your warranty at any autozone by using the original phone number you gave them upon purchase.

in actually the oem batteries do not have any more stringent requirements on batteries, oem batteries are some of the most poorly produced batteries available. they have the issue of mass quantity over quality

Old 07-24-2014, 08:50 AM
5 Year Member
Still, check with Honda, the OEM batteries they sell (Yuasa brand) may be competitive. They had a supply/quality problem in 2009/2010 so I wouldn't go out of my way for one based on anecdotes from that time.

The NAPA battery is made in South Korea, has an 18 month full free replacement/65 month pro-rated warranty. They do require presentation of the invoice for any adjustments.

Specs are:
Battery BCI # : BCI #151R
Battery Cold Cranking Amps @ 0 Degrees F : 330
Battery Cranking Amps @ 32 Degrees F : 440
Battery Posts Type : Top Post
Battery Reserve Capacity (Minutes) : 55
Battery Voltage : 12 Volt
Height : 8 3/4"
Length : 7 1/4"
Wet or Dry : Wet
Width : 4 15/16"
Battery Weight : 19 lbs

and it's $92 (with core trade of the old battery) available nationally. (on sale today for $82)

For what it's worth, it cranks the engine quicker than the OEM battery ever did, but that's entirely anecdotal. The case is well made (as was the OEM's) plus it has a handy carrying handle.

Why pay more? I don't think NAPA will offer to install it (unless you go to one of their service centers, I think they have those), that may be a reason to go for Autozone, their associates are eager to help.

Last edited by Steve244; 07-24-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:18 AM
Old thread but thought I'd add my 2 cents. I bought a few sealed golf cart batteries several hears ago and then a year later added on to my '08 fit after it sat on the shelf. It has held up great in the Texas heat for 2 years now. cost me $38 I think. ub12220 I think the model was. weighs about 18 pounds. I know they terminals are a bit scary because of the high amps it takes to crank an engine, but once I've seen no degradation/melting in 2 years. I suspect the 1 second or so it takes to start isn't enough time to cause an issue.

Those of you who know battery technology might want to chime in and add how ingenious/stupid this idea is.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:27 AM
Originally Posted by jonesym33
Old thread but thought I'd add my 2 cents. I bought a few sealed golf cart batteries several hears ago and then a year later added on to my '08 fit after it sat on the shelf. It has held up great in the Texas heat for 2 years now. cost me $38 I think. ub12220 I think the model was. weighs about 18 pounds. I know they terminals are a bit scary because of the high amps it takes to crank an engine, but once I've seen no degradation/melting in 2 years. I suspect the 1 second or so it takes to start isn't enough time to cause an issue.

Those of you who know battery technology might want to chime in and add how ingenious/stupid this idea is.
My friend please do not poisson this forum with your stupid idea. UB 12220 is made as back up battery for electronics not ment as car battery. The terminals are the important to transfer heavy current taken while starting the car...special in winter weather condition. I would strongly NOT recommend UB 12220 as replacement for car battery of any kind. Thats my 2 cents

Old 12-25-2021, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by JazzSus
My friend please do not poisson this forum with your stupid idea. UB 12220 is made as back up battery for electronics not ment as car battery. The terminals are the important to transfer heavy current taken while starting the car...special in winter weather condition. I would strongly NOT recommend UB 12220 as replacement for car battery of any kind. Thats my 2 cents
​​​​​​So you might think it "stupid", but it is still working. I never woke up to a dead battery and started up in sub freezing temperatures during the last freeze. I also was worried about the terminals as they are pretty flimsy, but I suspect these smallish engines don't take too many amps to crank and never have to crank for more than a second anyway. It saved me several hundred dollars in the process too.