2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

Need new plugs for 09 sport.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 04:21 PM
Need new plugs for 09 sport.

Seen alot of older threads but just wondering a few things

Car s at 99k miles. Should I replace the coils, and have there been any plugs out there that are worth the hype? Anything that actually gives the car an increase in mileage or performance? I've seen some threads about e3 plugs but in the past has been nothing but talk with not much improvement in anything.

So just wondering what is the best out there and if spending more actually gives you any added benefits.

Thanks everyone.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
Just get OEM plugs and be sure to properly gap.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by comatoast
Seen alot of older threads but just wondering a few things

Car s at 99k miles. Should I replace the coils, and have there been any plugs out there that are worth the hype? Anything that actually gives the car an increase in mileage or performance? I've seen some threads about e3 plugs but in the past has been nothing but talk with not much improvement in anything.

So just wondering what is the best out there and if spending more actually gives you any added benefits.

Thanks everyone.
Does the one step cooler plug and 91+ octane give our generation FIT a power boost like the 07'-08'?If so, that's what I'd do.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:24 PM
Thanks guys. No way I'm dumping premium into this. I have my performance cars on e85 and premium , so this fit will get nothing other than 87

I'm looking for 100% economy driving as I use it as a delivery car and put on about 700-800 miles a week. 90% city 10% hwy

Also it seems to be due for a valve adjustment. Should I or shouldn't I? Dealer wants $150 for it

Old 10-14-2014, 08:26 PM
Also what's the proper gap ?

Will NGK iridium work? No dealer near me

Old 10-15-2014, 01:38 AM
You must really think filling premium in a 10.9gal tank will jack the total bill astronomically. On top of that you'll see even better mpg using fuel close to the octane it was made for. In Japan and Europe low octane is 95. Honda runs a hotter plug to prevent detonation or what auto mechanics call "knocking". You engine will thank you for it in the end with a much cleaner internals, better power at any rpm, & better mpg. Just as some small for the 00-08 FIT L15 made 110hp at peak and L15 I-VTEC made 120 in Japan /Europe. Notice Honda dropped the L15 hp number to 127 in th 2015 model. . I promise u it's because the Japanese numbers dropped when 87 octane was introduced to these engines.

Thanks guys. No way I'm dumping premium into this. I have my performance cars on e85 and premium , so this fit will get nothing other than 87

I'm looking for 100% economy driving as I use it as a delivery car and put on about 700-800 miles a week. 90% city 10% hwy

Also it seems to be due for a valve adjustment. Should I or shouldn't I? Dealer wants $150 for it

Last edited by Desmond Lamar MacRae; 10-15-2014 at 01:42 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:19 AM
buy stock plugs for a honda s2000 at partsstore, grand total of $35 or so instead of over $60 for oem at dealership.

spend the extra $1.50 per tank and use 91 octane. the extra gasmileage cuts teh price difference apart.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by 13fit
buy stock plugs for a honda s2000 at partsstore, grand total of $35 or so instead of over $60 for oem at dealership.

spend the extra $1.50 per tank and use 91 octane. the extra gasmileage cuts teh price difference apart.
Thank you for buttressed my previous opining. It really works and isn't a gimmick. BTW which s2k plugs? The F20C or F22?

Last edited by Desmond Lamar MacRae; 10-15-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
not a tech but my observations (09 with 123k)

1) that is a good price for a valve adjustment....get it!

2)whichever route you go with plugs, make sure they are tightened to spec and not to feel....too much and you'll be sorry, too little and you'll feel hesitations fuel economy will drop and possible fuel smells. Dont trust that dealerships will do a great job and check it all out before driving off....for plug tightness you can run the engine then carefull put your finger on the top of each coil pack (4th one is tricky, roll your sleeves up) you should feel a buzz, if you feel pulsing, the plug is loose....

I has experiencing fuel smells and an avg of 25 mpg in mixed driving for over a year....dealerships couldnt find it until one tech did....no I'm back to 29-31 mpg

3) There is some debate over whether premium or regular is better for the fit...from my own experience I agree with those that side on 91 octane....in NY and NJ you only have 87, 89, or 93 at most stations so I've been alternating fillups at half tank between 89 and 93 and my car has been running extremely well: smooth, quick responses, and mpg are holding steady between city and hwy driving whereas on reg (87) my mpg drop big time in the city and pick up after a significant amount of hwy driving.

sure it costs more than driving reg, but I love this car and baby it....why would I let a difference of $3 a tank trouble me.....I should instead worry about the $2 coffee and take out that sneaks it's way into my budget instead or the fact that a beer at a bar in NYC will cost me $7......

Old 10-15-2014, 11:54 AM
Hmmm thanks guys. Never knew that. I was skeptical as a lot of people run premium in na cars for the simple fact that they don't have a clue and think it means more power. I might run 4-5 tanks ( about 2 weeks driving ) of premium to see if u notice a difference.

That aside. I'd like your premium prices. Lol. 2.71 for 87 here 3.49 for 91.... gonna be tough for me to justify an extra $25 in gas every week just to gain MAYBE 2 mpg??? The math doesn't benefit me in any way. But I will try it out for a few weeks to entertain the thought.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Desmond Lamar MacRae
Thank you for buttressed my previous opining. It really works and isn't a gimmick. BTW which s2k plugs? The F20C or F22?
what gimmick?

it was the first "mod" I did to my car at 10k miles.

same plugs used for S2K. motor size changed torque and rpm range, not plugs

Old 10-15-2014, 12:07 PM
what gimmick?

it was the first "mod" I did to my car at 10k miles.

same plugs used for S2K. motor size changed torque and rpm range, not plugs
I'm saying thank you for letting the op changing to a cooler plug plus using 91 octane wasn't a gimmick. I'm agreeing with you. I was asking which s2k plugs do you use?

Old 10-15-2014, 03:42 PM

That aside. I'd like your premium prices. Lol. 2.71 for 87 here 3.49 for 91....
I'm an advocate of the 91 octane side and even I wouldn't pay that much extra. That's an insane difference. Here it's like .30 a gallon difference.

I've been running 87 lately because i've just mainly commuting in traffic and long road trips, and yeah, there's a difference, not unbearable, but a difference, and it will ping for a second under high load until the timing pulls back, never happens on 89+, same station.

I do need to change my plugs but it's always done the same thing since it was new.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Desmond Lamar MacRae
I'm saying thank you for letting the op changing to a cooler plug plus using 91 octane wasn't a gimmick. I'm agreeing with you. I was asking which s2k plugs do you use?
oops, sorry.

Plugs are Denso PK22PR11, part number 3265

they are double platinums, so long life.

gap to .050 for good results. I tried 060 and coils did not like them at high rpms (occasional fuel burp).

I believe factory is around 0.050 anyways. I always like bigger gaps, it means more fuel is actually being burnt.

For those of you who want to maintain 87 octane, just gap them to 0.048 for longer life and a stronger, but cooler, spark

Old 10-16-2014, 02:59 AM
So after this. Lol

What plugs do I need. I will be running 87-89 on stock car. Just want to walk into Napa or auto zone to get some plugs.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:17 AM
Sorry. I missed that last post.

OK so the denso pk22pr11 gapped to .048 will be fine with 87-89?

Old 10-16-2014, 12:34 PM
yes it will

Old 10-16-2014, 04:42 PM
yes it will
Thank you. Is it a heat range cooler? The application chart didn't list the fit on there.

And now that I actually looked at the car. I must praise Honda for their genius spark plug placement. I might actually need to look at a how to on this one.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:22 PM
they are Honda S2000 plugs, they will not list Fit.

They do fit. Another good "mod" is to stop at honda dealership and get the Honda S2000 oil filter. more oil capacity and higher running oil pressure.

You get slightly cooler oil as a result, and might grab 1mpg if anything on the highway

Old 10-23-2014, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
I don't think it is possible for ANYONE to do a proper valve adjustment on a Fit in less than 1.5 hr and that is what they are charging for. I would ask them if they know what is involved in doing the valve adjustment. They should tell you that the air box, throttle valve, plastic intake and valve cover have to come off, that 16 valves have to be checked, 4 at each of 4 engine rotations and some need to be adjusted. They have to be adjusted stone cold so that means tieing up a bay for extended time or pushing the car in when they are ready to work on it. Then they have to put all those parts back. I think the manual even says to take off the cowl which means several plastic pieces, along with the windshield wiper motor assembly and the wipers, although these do not really have to be removed. I would only have them do it if they can tell you all the above steps, otherwise, they'll take your money and do nothing. I would think the book must say at least 3 hr. for this job. Why would the dealer charge half?

Quick Reply: Need new plugs for 09 sport.