2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 2nd Gen GE8 Honda Fit

Alternative to painting rear diffuser?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
Alternative to painting rear diffuser?

So...a friend of mine and I were talking...and I showed him this picture

Name:  oct08050.jpg
Views: 1507
Size:  54.1 KB

as we were talking about JDM Base Tails.

We then started talking about options for the diffuser...
I told him I guess I'd either get a CF one or paint it black like in the picture (I guess).

He suggested maybe a black vinyl overlay.

Any ideas on how this would work out?
Has anyone done it?

I know there are threads on vinyl roofs and hoods...but haven't been able to find anything on rear diffuser. (If I missed something, I'm sorry, please enlighten me)

Anyways...ideas? discuss...

Old 10-06-2009, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
63 views and no input?

C'mon guys...lets talk this out.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
63 views and no input?

C'mon guys...lets talk this out.
Whats to talk about, go buy a big piece of black vinyl, apply it to the "diffuser" as you call it, and cut it to the shape you want. Its vinyl which means that its fleixible and that it'll stretch to fit what you want.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:48 PM
I've considered the same route myself, so that in the future should I get tired of that particular look I simply remove the vinyl.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
well i actually painted it with flat back like the picture and im loving it !!! i will post some pics once i clean my car !!!

Old 10-06-2009, 05:47 PM
not really the greatest pic of the diffuser considering the light and shadows.. but here's my example of a painted rear, satin black on tidewater... (any reason to whore out pics of my car.. lol)

*edit* also... the "diffuser" has a lot of crevices and such... so its not as simple as stretching it out.. if you're thinking about trying to vinyl wrap it on your own, i suggest you take it to someone who knows how to properly... with a heat gun and such... or else it'd just be a waste of a large amount of vinyl...

Last edited by dela; 10-06-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dela
not really the greatest pic of the diffuser considering the light and shadows.. but here's my example of a painted rear, satin black on tidewater... (any reason to whore out pics of my car.. lol)

*edit* also... the "diffuser" has a lot of crevices and such... so its not as simple as stretching it out.. if you're thinking about trying to vinyl wrap it on your own, i suggest you take it to someone who knows how to properly... with a heat gun and such... or else it'd just be a waste of a large amount of vinyl...
Hey how did u do ur tails? With spray or vinyl? It looks nice and clean

Old 10-07-2009, 06:29 AM
thanks vinyl..

Old 10-07-2009, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
Dela...your car looks hot like that. Very nice.

Yea, I was worried about some issues with the vinyl.

I know the area is not really a diffuser per se, but that's the best way I could describe it.

Dela and JDMjunkie--about how much did the painting run you?

Old 10-07-2009, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
Talking

I know the area is not really a diffuser per se, but that's the best way I could describe it.

Honestly I couldn't even tell u because I went to my boys body shop and did it with him, he was teaching me how to do body work so the diffuser was one of my training parts !! I ended up repainting my front bumper,rear diffuser and some sidemarkers !! So I never found out how much the materials was gonna run do to using my Buddies materials already !!!!

Old 10-07-2009, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
Well damn. I guess I'm going to have to find a body shop that isn't completely backed up and get them to do an estimate.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
There is another post floating around where the OP used pin strip tape to out-line the diffuser part because it bend easier around the round part and then use regular painter's masking tape to seal up the rest of the bumper area. I believe he prep the diffuser part with scotch brite before using primer and paint. My TW is also painted satin black and I have to say it looks a lot sportier, meaner and overall better.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
wow it looks great painted

+1 for do it yourself. i've sanded off factory paint on my car. during sanding the paint off my car i asked myself what am i doing to this car, but when you're done and you took your time there's no better feeling when it comes out well

Old 10-07-2009, 11:25 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Originally Posted by dela

Cleanest base on the forums.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:01 AM

did it myself... i've had experience painting/repairing body parts on my old car (89' mr2)... some kids were drifting on the street while i was asleep... didnt know who.. had liability so i had to deal with it myself...

Originally Posted by Choro-Q_Fit
There is another post floating around where the OP used pin strip tape to out-line the diffuser part because it bend easier around the round part and then use regular painter's masking tape to seal up the rest of the bumper area. I believe he prep the diffuser part with scotch brite before using primer and paint.
yea pretty much the same thing i did... if you do it yourself, dont rush.. take your time... if you have extra body parts from other cars you can actually practice before you do it on the fit...

Originally Posted by Fat Ping Cat
wow it looks great painted

+1 for do it yourself. i've sanded off factory paint on my car. during sanding the paint off my car i asked myself what am i doing to this car, but when you're done and you took your time there's no better feeling when it comes out well
haha yeah... when i did it i was like.. dude.. i just got this car.. what am i doing!? but then i finished i didnt regret it at all... still dont... it looks way better then stock

Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Cleanest base on the forums.
thanks!

Old 10-08-2009, 02:46 PM
danm dela that vinyl on your tails is clean.

Let me holla at the place where you got them vinyls mang

Old 10-08-2009, 11:15 PM
just to throw this out there, i stopped by my local vinyl/sign shop today and talked to the guy there. he said that it would basically be way more work than it's worth to do vinyl, you're better off just painting it (or going with a JDP diffuser).. both of which are bouncing around in my head now.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:10 AM
Well i am going tomorrow in the afternoon to get my roof done in black vinyl. So while I am there I will have him give me a quote on the diffuser. I will let you know the price tomorrow. I am in SoCal.

Last edited by blink384; 10-20-2009 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Miss spelling
Old 10-20-2009, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks blink.

I may end up painting it ...but we'll see.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 1FiTpINOY
danm dela that vinyl on your tails is clean.

Let me holla at the place where you got them vinyls mang
LMAO! You go ahead an holla at them vinyls, mang!

Lol... I love it!

Quick Reply: Alternative to painting rear diffuser?