2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Installing Tweeters in Base GE/09?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member
Installing Tweeters in Base GE/09?

Greetings,

Has anybody here added tweeters to the Base 09 fits? So the tweeter covers/grills are already in the dash of the Base 09 fits... but what about the wires? Are they there or would one need to run new wires? If one needs to run new wires, what steps would one need to take?

Also, I know there are plenty of you out there who have removed your sport tweeters to upgrade... I can't be the only one who wants to try this upgrade. Does anybody out there want to donate your old tweeters for the cause to test it before going for anything more advanced? (I'm in the Philly region, but I assume others in other regions might also be interested..)

Thanks

Old 09-06-2009, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
That's pretty cool. I didn't realize the tweeter grills were already in place in the base fits. Obviously they did that to minimize cost (standardization). If that's the case I'd be willing to bet money that the wiring is also in place. The best way to find out is pop off the grill.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:14 PM
I'll take pictures of how I did it tonight.

No, unfortunately the wiring isn't in place already.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
Oh well, glad to hear it was easy to route the wires.

Curious to see whether your tweeters are mounted under the factory grills or not. I have some Pioneer tweeters that would have to be mounted in place of the grills.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:15 AM
I'll take a picture in a sec when I go out to the car to drive to work. I'll try to post it when I get there.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:45 PM
If it stops pouring now......

Old 09-18-2009, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
I've been waiting a week!!

Old 09-18-2009, 09:21 PM
lol.

My camera is dead, I'll get some better pictures when it's charged.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
so you mounted them to the stock grills?

Old 09-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Yep. I used high-temp glue. "Loctite Stik'n Seal ULTRA"

I cut them down about halfway on the back-side so they would project properly.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
Besides the pictures.. how about some step-by-step instructions?

Run the wires to... what? Run them through.. what? connect them to the radio.. how?

Old 09-23-2009, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
I decided to stop being lazy and pop the tweeters out myself... AND take pictures. For your viewing pleasure:

Name:  IMG_0238.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  51.3 KB
Name:  IMG_0239.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  71.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0241.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  80.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0253.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  111.3 KB

This Pioneer tweeter is from a set of 720PRS
Name:  IMG_0247.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  131.3 KB
Name:  IMG_0249.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  87.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0250.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  74.6 KB

As you can see here, the Pioneer tweeter will not mount into the stock hole by itself (I was hoping it would)
Name:  IMG_0245.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  65.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0244.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  64.6 KB
Name:  IMG_0243.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  51.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0246.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  77.5 KB

I'm still thinking about how to mount it. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:27 AM
You could always hack up the plastics for the tweeter covers, similar to what I did, and some other guy who installed rainbow tweeters.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah that was my first thought, and it's the way I had em mounted in my last car. But the Pioneers are so big it seems like they'd have to mounted above the tweeter panels with the lip of the tweeter resting on the outer panel, showing off all that bling factor unfortunately.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike2100
I decided to stop being lazy and pop the tweeters out myself... AND take pictures. For your viewing pleasure:

As you can see here, the Pioneer tweeter will not mount into the stock hole by itself (I was hoping it would)

I'm still thinking about how to mount it. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions.
I think you're just teasing us cause you have a Sport, and not a Base... and already have the proper wires in place!

I think you need to apologize to me by sending me your factory tweeters when you're done installing these.

As far as suggestions go... I suppose it depends upon what you want it to look like.

I would guess your options are either metal appearance, or plastic/dash like appearance.

If you chose metal, I might suggest that you go to a hardware/home improvement store (home depot, lowes, etc.) and get some aluminum roofing flashing and create something to cover the hole in a pleasing pattern... you could go with a simple round, or do something a little more complex and artistic like sunbursts or flames or something ringing the tweeters. If you don't think you could pull off something with this nice enough, perhaps you could find someone who does jewelry making or sculpture as a hobby or vocation..

You might also simply try looking at all sorts of large metal discs... washers of all sizes, etc.

You may also be able to find these in painted or anodized colors, or even rubber or plastic coated... or you could screw around and do one of those things yourself.

I also assume that you could find plastic material to do something suitable, too if you just wanted to go with something more easily blended into the dash..

Or HERE's an idea... The GRILLS themselves fit and totally cover the hole... right?

How about do something semi-obvious... (although destructive to your original grills..) and simply cut hole in your grills so that you can mount your pioneer tweeters on-top of the grills yet the grills still mount properly and pleasingly against the dash?

Old 09-23-2009, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by interestingstuff

Or HERE's an idea... The GRILLS themselves fit and totally cover the hole... right?

How about do something semi-obvious... (although destructive to your original grills..) and simply cut hole in your grills so that you can mount your pioneer tweeters on-top of the grills yet the grills still mount properly and pleasingly against the dash?
That's probably what I'll end up doing. lol, thanks for all the good ideas... and just for devoting all the energy I might sell you my factory tweeters Honda sells them for $20 each so I would want to get at least half that in case I ever need to go back to stock

BTW, did you guys know that the tweeters and speakers are made by Foster Culver? And did you know that all 4 door speakers are exactly the same? I might have to see how they sound with more/cleaner power going to them. The stock head unit might be made by Alpine, but I doubt it employs the same tech they use in their aftermarket head units.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:24 AM
I say hack up the tweeter covers, they only cost about $2.30 each. Beware though, they're a special order and nobody stocks them in the US.

(Can you tell I've done this before? lol.)

Old 09-24-2009, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
Did you try Majestic Honda by chance?

Old 09-24-2009, 12:54 PM
I might have to see how they sound with more/cleaner power going to them.
Alot of what I've read on fit ICE suggests that a head-unit swap is step 1 to better sound in the car. I'll be installing my new HU this weekend, and I'll try to give a detailed impression of the sound before/after.

... now back to the thread:
If your tweeters could be secured underneath the stock grills (with the stock tweeters removed) would that put them too far into the dash for a reasonable SQ? It may take some grunt work, but if you disassemble enough of the dash to get them up there, you could epoxy/screw/duct tape (j/k) a bracket to the underside of the dash to support them. This is assuming, of course, that they are light enough to be supported this way.

It would keep that stock look that attracts less unwanted attention, but it may not be the best placement for your listening enjoyment. Just a thought.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bikethis

... now back to the thread:
If your tweeters could be secured underneath the stock grills (with the stock tweeters removed) would that put them too far into the dash for a reasonable SQ? It may take some grunt work, but if you disassemble enough of the dash to get them up there, you could epoxy/screw/duct tape (j/k) a bracket to the underside of the dash to support them. This is assuming, of course, that they are light enough to be supported this way.

It would keep that stock look that attracts less unwanted attention, but it may not be the best placement for your listening enjoyment. Just a thought.
No it's actually pretty good placement because the path length difference between the two tweeters is minimized. Closer to the windshield would be ideal so that the sound waves that bounce off the windshield wouldn't arrive that much later than the waves coming at you straight from the tweeter.

Quick Reply: Installing Tweeters in Base GE/09?