2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Mini-Sub Box Design

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 07:41 PM
Mini-Sub Box Design

I did some research and found a Fosgate Punch 8" woofer that only requires a 0.23 FT^3 sealed box. I designed this with help from their web site that gives details on this P1S48 model. However, I changed the dimensions to fit in the tailgate area on the right where there's a little cubby. It will stick out a few inches but it will be off the floor and I plan to strap it in using the front and back cargo rings on that side. What do you think?

Old 03-13-2010, 10:35 PM
Ordered it

I went ahead and ordered this little puppy from Crutchfield.ca for $69 and here is what it looks like...

I going to start building the box tomorrow and will put up some construction pix as I go.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member
In for pics.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:38 PM
Rough Box

Here is the rough box. Glued, nailed (102 to be exact) and calked. I'll will try to carpet it tomorrow and find some poly fill. I'll post those too when it's done.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:59 PM
So far so good. I was just doing the research on an 8" small volume enclosure. This is by far the smallest I have heard of. I really want to read your impressions of the finished unit and the sound. Keep us up to date on the progress please.
BTW what are you using for and amp for this box?

Old 03-16-2010, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member
Cool project, yeah let us know how it sounds.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by seeremlive
...BTW what are you using for and amp for this box?
I have a JBL BP150.1 that will be 75 watts at 4 ohms. This will put me at half of what the woofer can handle. I'm having trouble finding some box carpet. Home Depot had in/outdoor that looked okay but it was a little thick. I'll try a local car audio shop today. BTW, Clutchfield shipped my little baby yesterday so it could arrive any day now. Also need to think about where to hide the amp. It's only 8-3/4 x 8 x 2-11/16".

Last edited by olias; 03-20-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:45 PM
So I found the carpet at my local car audio shop and did the box as well as a mounting board for the amp. I routered out the tire bolt tee handle because this gave me another 1" of depth and made it more stable.

The box will be strapped here and this will clear the tire access panel...

Old 03-16-2010, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
i think the sq10 from elemental designs is a bit slimer and needs about the same space. i will be making a box to to a stealth install where the spare goes.

good idea though, i like the way you put your amp

Old 03-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Update

The woofer showed up the other day but I only have the factory deck. So I tried it with the 75 watt amp in my son's Civic. He has a Pioneer with a 10" sub so I just unhooked his amp and connected the RCA jacks and power to my amp and sub. I was blown away by the clean punchy bass this little shoebox sub puts out. It was shaking his licence plate and mirrors.

After hearing that, I couldn't deal with hooking it up in my Fit with a line-out converter so I ordered a Pioneer head unit from Sonic Electronix. The price was right and they ship to Canada. Its a Premier FH-P800BT double din and for an extra $22.99, they give you the Scosche parts as well. They have already shipped it so in the mean time I will finish the sub and amp install.

One thing I had to do for mounting the sub was to install a metal bracket above the box. I did this by removing the plastic quarter panel and using an existing 1/4" hole in the car body's inner frame. I bent a right angle so that it would stick out just above the sub. I'll upload some pictures.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:09 AM
Sub Mounting

Here's the bracket, solid as a rock...

...and here's the bungie cord setup. It clears the spare tire access panel by 1/2" so I'm thinking of making a grill. I'm going to refine the bungie cord with at least black ties and maybe straps instead.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Nice and clean, no wires showing and if you have to remove it, just unplug and unstrap. Like you said, a grill would help protect the cone and a black strap would blend a little better.

Let us know how it sounds in the new fit with the new deck!

Old 03-18-2010, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
Wow it looks really nice. Let us know how it sounds.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:30 AM
5 Year Member
Looks nice and clean... keep us up to date with your project!

Old 03-20-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm still waiting for the Pioneer head unit but I did try the sub in my son's Civic and it sounded clean and punchy. I had my younger son do a video because it was easier than uploading many pictures. This shows the final install of the sub and amp.

YouTube - My Dad's Mini Sub.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:03 AM
That's awesome how out of the way it is! Way to go!

Old 03-25-2010, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback. I received the new Pioneer FH-P800BT head unit yesterday and installed it today. The system is unbelievably clear, tight and thumping. I have Alpine 6.5" components up front with 1" dome tweeters in the dash. Here is the video link below. Let me know what you think?

YouTube - Mini-Sub in a Honda Fit

Old 03-25-2010, 08:01 PM
Looks like it is moving quite a bit of air and that makes quite a bit of sound. It looks like a good setup and the install is nice and clean.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
Great job on the install! Looks good and I'm sure it sounds nice too.

Also, nice choice on the HU. We installed the same one in my Dad's Maxima a while ago. Very classy.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by olias
Thanks for the positive feedback. I received the new Pioneer FH-P800BT head unit yesterday and installed it today. The system is unbelievably clear, tight and thumping. I have Alpine 6.5" components up front with 1" dome tweeters in the dash. Here is the video link below. Let me know what you think?

YouTube - Mini-Sub in a Honda Fit

I think it's awesome! Great job! I would much prefer something like this rather than my system at this point...mine is too heavy, integrated, and I lose my spare. Especially because I would like to use my car for cargo/trips/other fun stuff. I think I would be happy giving up some thump to gain the flexibility of a system like yours.

Quick Reply: Mini-Sub Box Design