2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

English DIY maplight in base GE

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 04:30 PM
is anyone in the Miami, area willing to help me do this for some money?

Old 11-27-2011, 07:13 AM
KHX
Thanks for the guide. Followed it today for a 2012 base Fit (USA).

Took longer than I thought (paranoid about cutting too much of the headliner), but it worked out fine. Mixed up the pink and blue wires at first - if both lights come on at half brightness when you turn on either switch - that's what's wrong!

I used 0.11" female disconnects (e.g. these) to avoid soldering to the pins in the map light base. I couldn't get fully insulated versions locally, so I shrunk little bits of heatshrink over the exposed tips to prevent shorting.

I also used only 18 gauge wire. The wires feeding the dome light seem about 22 gauge, so that's going to be the limiting factor. (18 gauge was the narrowest I could get my hands on - would have used 20 or 22 otherwise).

Update: Make sure you use a fresh sharp blade to cut the headliner. Now that I've seen the results of my work in daylight, I can see a few minor creases in the headliner from the pressure needed to cut it, even though the box cutter blade I used was reasonably fresh. Heavy duty scissors or a snipping tool might be a better choice, once you've made an initial cut.

Last edited by KHX; 11-28-2011 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Updated with suggestion to use a fresh blade when cutting the headliner
Old 12-17-2011, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
Did this today (09 Base).

Parts were $45 including shipping from Majestic Honda.

Additional solderless connectors and 18guage wire from pep boys was $16 (sheesh, a lot for a few trinkets). Radio shack is a few dollars less.

Couple observations:

An X-Acto hobby knife is perfect for cutting the headliner. Make sure you have fresh blades. The roof liner is about 1/4" thick: don't think scissors would work.

There was a lot of resistance pushing the coat hanger through to snake the wire. A thin coat hanger wasn't strong enough. I wound up using a brass rod I had lying around.

The male connections on the map-light fixture are fragile. pushing the female connectors on was easy enough, but pulling them off may cause the male contacts to bend. Be careful. I pulled one almost completely out but was able to bend it back to position.

The splicing connectors available from auto stores and radio shack need some fiddling to get to work. Try to find something for small gauge wire. Somebody mentioned it's probably 22 gauge to the existing dome light; that's about right. Might be thinner (higher gauge).

I used solderless "speaker" female connectors for the map light ends (couldn't find solder type) but I still tinned the ends of the wires before crimping. (you might need a crimping tool, another $8.)

Allow a couple hours. It's really only a 30 minute job, but if you've never done it before (like me) don't rush it.

And I wouldn't mess with it without disconnecting the negative cable from the battery under the hood. The "pink" wire is constantly hot otherwise.

Last edited by Steve244; 12-17-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
im really excited yettttt also scared

the one thing that REALLLLLLLLY bugs me about my 09 base is the lack of maplights. i mean really. but i am not exactly experienced with electronics and afraid i might jack this up...

anyone in dallas wanna help out? i am willing to pay in cash or beer!

Old 01-11-2012, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kostar
im really excited yettttt also scared

the one thing that REALLLLLLLLY bugs me about my 09 base is the lack of maplights. i mean really. but i am not exactly experienced with electronics and afraid i might jack this up...

anyone in dallas wanna help out? i am willing to pay in cash or beer!
If I come to the dallas area in the next month or so I'll hit you up. It's really easy to do, just take your time and DO NOT rush.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:28 PM
Bought my first Fit in December 2011 and I thought it was odd there was no map reading lights. But reading the forum I discovered that Fit's shipped to Canada do not have map reading lights. I also discovered this DIY thread.

My question is this: Will the parts listed in post #1, fit the 2001 Honda Fit? I am travelling to the US in early April and I would order the parts prior to leaving and take them back with me.

Does anyone have a preferred Honda parts dealer they use online? I will be in Florida if that make a difference.

Thanks,
Paul

Old 01-14-2012, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pbd1963
Bought my first Fit in December 2011 and I thought it was odd there was no map reading lights. But reading the forum I discovered that Fit's shipped to Canada do not have map reading lights. I also discovered this DIY thread.

My question is this: Will the parts listed in post #1, fit the 2001 Honda Fit? I am travelling to the US in early April and I would order the parts prior to leaving and take them back with me.

Does anyone have a preferred Honda parts dealer they use online? I will be in Florida if that make a difference.

Thanks,
Paul
Cflhonda.com is my preferred place. They are located in Florida. As for parts fitting I don't know about that. They may have them for the GD model if you search.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
Paul, part numbers listed will fit your 2011 no problems. Just follow procedure in this thread and all will go well. Just about any honda dealer can do and parts will average around $40-45 delivered. Might be better to order in advance before you make the trip and then pick up when you get to the respective dealer in US.
John

Old 01-15-2012, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by yuwan63755
Paul, part numbers listed will fit your 2011 no problems. Just follow procedure in this thread and all will go well. Just about any honda dealer can do and parts will average around $40-45 delivered. Might be better to order in advance before you make the trip and then pick up when you get to the respective dealer in US.
John
He said its a 2001 fit though.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, I saw the reference to 2001 also, but I assumed that was a typo. While fit was introduced in 2001(Japan only I believe), I don't think it hit the states and canada till 2006, so I assume he was speaking about his earlier referenced 2011. Thanks.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pbd1963

Thanks,
Paul
Where in Canada Paul?

Old 01-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Did the install with two wires from overhead light to Map base and get lights now only when they are turned on - not when doors are opened or when I turn the ignition switch off. Anyone have an idea what I did wrong? Thanks.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by EQB356
Did the install with two wires from overhead light to Map base and get lights now only when they are turned on - not when doors are opened or when I turn the ignition switch off. Anyone have an idea what I did wrong? Thanks.
I don't think they come on with the doors/ignition off. At least mine don't.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
The map lights do not come on in factory installed sport applications; however, when I installed mine in my 2010 base, they came on with key, door open which I liked better than my 2011 sport which is as stated above. Try this:
Canadian?
I'm in Sask. and I completed the map light DIY myself using these instructions. Not to worry, even the Canadian models have the mounding screw holes in the roof. THe only other sudgestion I have is to run 2 wires in stead of one. Both the Blue and the Pink because then you have both the function of the individual lights, and they also come on when the doors are opened or the keyless entry is activated.
It works in Canada!

Good luck my friend.
John

Old 01-29-2012, 07:07 AM
5 Year Member
Did you connect to the correct posts? Scroll back a page to see where the second wire is suppose to connect. Check you connections too.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Did you connect to the correct posts? Scroll back a page to see where the second wire is suppose to connect. Check you connections too.
Yep - all the connections are correct as were given earlier in the thread. Discovered that the maplights will work with only pink and ground connected.
But a new twist - now the key transmitter won't work either. I'm thinking that I've blown a relay somewhere and, as yet, I don't have a Helm manual for this vehicle, a 2012 Base, so I can check the schematics.

Thanks for your responses - this forum and the entire site is amazing. I'm astounded by the creativity, ingenuity, and generosity displayed by the members.

Will

Old 01-29-2012, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
Yep - all the connections are correct as were given earlier in the thread. Discovered that the maplights will work with only pink and ground connected.
But a new twist - now the key transmitter won't work either. I'm thinking that I've blown a relay somewhere and, as yet, I don't have a Helm manual for this vehicle, a 2012 Base, so I can check the schematics.

Thanks for your responses - this forum and the entire site is amazing. I'm astounded by the creativity, ingenuity, and generosity displayed by the members.

Will
No idea then why it won't work unless it is the blown fuse when you were messing around hooking it up.

Here is a pic of my 09 fuse box. Yours is the same I suspect. See the orange in top left? THere is a 15 amp fuse under there that controls locks, dome light etc. The fuse puller is inthe bottom ringt - it is white. Once you hae replaced the fuse all may work.

Where is the fuse box you ask? Try the panel to left of steering wheel at the bottom of dash. It just pulls out. Give it a yank.

bill

Old 01-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by Black3sr
No idea then why it won't work unless it is the blown fuse when you were messing around hooking it up.

Here is a pic of my 09 fuse box. Yours is the same I suspect. See the orange in top left? THere is a 15 amp fuse under there that controls locks, dome light etc. The fuse puller is inthe bottom ringt - it is white. Once you hae replaced the fuse all may work.

Where is the fuse box you ask? Try the panel to left of steering wheel at the bottom of dash. It just pulls out. Give it a yank.

bill
Thanks, Bill. Different fuse box. I've sorted thru all the fuses related to the doors and lights - all good. Having to resort to the dealer, I fear. I stiil think it's a relay problem, or as Honda quaintly calls it - the MICU which evidently has a mind of it's own. And since this vehicle is a bit more complicated electronically than the one it was to replace, a '87 Civic Wagovan I bought new, I'll have to depend more on the dealer's computer gizmos to diagnose.
Looks like I may be rather limited in maintaining this one. Did everything to the '87.

Best to you,
Will

Old 01-31-2012, 04:29 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks, Bill. Different fuse box. I've sorted thru all the fuses related to the doors and lights - all good. Having to resort to the dealer, I fear. I stiil think it's a relay problem, or as Honda quaintly calls it - the MICU which evidently has a mind of it's own. And since this vehicle is a bit more complicated electronically than the one it was to replace, a '87 Civic Wagovan I bought new, I'll have to depend more on the dealer's computer gizmos to diagnose.
Looks like I may be rather limited in maintaining this one. Did everything to the '87.

Best to you,
Will
You have a GD? If a 2012 it should be the same as mine. If it is a GD then I am no help. Good luck with dealer.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
Does anyone know if the dealership would install it for me? Or maybe body shop?
If anyone live around LA area, I would be willing to pay you to do it for me haha, I have an month old 13' Fit Base :P

Quick Reply: English DIY maplight in base GE