2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Picking out a HU?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member
Picking out a HU?

Well, I'm debating a screen with and without NAV. Went to best buy and saw a pioneer touch screen dvd HU for 399 and a step up model for 449, any experience with these units? They are online as well for viewing. I'll try to get a link up later. I worked carfi at best buy till March of this year and we didn't have those models. This is going to be my first mod, then replacing the stock speakers.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
Pioneer is good product, for myself however I have been a dedicated Alpine user for the past 10 years, simply because the product is superior to almost anything else sold in retail stores. Sure it may cost a little more but it's worth it in the long run, example is my current HU, its a 2004 model, one of the best they have made in a long time, and that's from many different people not just my own opinion. I have had ZERO issues with it, the only replacement part I have done is a new faceplate which I got for $55 off a car audio forum, and I replaced it because I had not taken as good of care of it as I should have, so it wasn't the units fault it was mine.

I would take a good look at all brands you have access to and then base your decision on what YOU like best.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
I have been using Alpine exclusively since 1996 when I started driving and bought my first car. It was probably worth more than my 1986 Jetta. However after working at Best Buy the last four years until I got my degree and my first real job post college, I must say the performance level and quality of Alpine just isn't there anymore. Its still a top 3 unit, but I really think Pioneer might be close to on par with them. Here is my dilemma if it can be called that, I have 200 dollars of Best Buy gift cards from Christmas, and I have a birthday in a couple weeks and will be getting more giftcards, however I don't want to spend 999.99 on a Alpine touch screen. The pioneer for 449 is very reliable and can be upgraded to GPS at a later time if you choose. I may wait and see, but I don't think I will go navigation and I don't want a single din Alpine either.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
Actually, Alpine quality has always been there if you are buying an upper end deck, and it's usually the same with most brands. However some even high end I wouldn't touch such as Sony. Over the 22 years I have been involved in the car audio industry I have used, pioneer, kenwood, clarion, eclipse and alpine. And in most cases it has always been a mid to high end deck and overall Alpine has lasted the longest and performed the best out of those brands listed.

Again it comes down to personal experience and taste, no one can tell you what to buy but you.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:54 AM
5 Year Member
I've got 8 years of carfi experience and would prefer alpine but I want a double din and I don't want to spend 1k on a alpine screen. I was mainly wanting to know if anybody knew anything about the PIO AVH-P3200BT. My main concern about single din hu's is purely cosmetic, mainly because i havent been able to see any pics with a pocket.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:05 AM
I would personally put the priority on the sound over aesthetics. I have a single din Alpine CDA-9857 HU and I used the Scosche dash kit with the pocket in my 09. Doesn't look as clean as I would like, but my ears are happy.