2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Radio Replacement Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Radio Replacement Questions

Hello all! 2 days ago I became the proud owner of a new 2011 Fit Sport w/o Navi.

Ideally, I want to put in a new head unit with a screen that will have iPod connectivity and play .AVI/.DIVX video. I don't really care about DVD or GPS.

Unfortunately, my operating budget won't be very much for this project, so I wanted to ask some questions from you fine folks.

I found this panel replacement on Amazon. From what i've gathered, even though this is labeled as for a '09 it should fit my '11, right?

Amazon.com: Axxess 99-7877S Honda Fit 2009 DIN and DDIN (Silver): Electronics

So, my question is, could I use this kit along with pretty much ANY double din head unit?

I'm a gadget guy by heart, but I know absolutely nothing about Automobile electronics.

Thanks so much for any help/advice!

Old 03-27-2011, 02:02 PM
that looks exactly like my metra dash kit so it will work. if you scroll a bit further down, you'll see that you can buy the wire harness and antenna adapter as a package. you'll need all three to properly wire up an aftermarket radio. I suggest buying an axxess steering wheel remote module as well if you ever want to wire up steering wheel controls to your radio.

since you mentioned that you have an iPod, you may want to look at pioneer's new decks. they have many models that are very iPhone-centric.

good luck!

Old 03-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the advice!

I have a iPhone 4, iPad and iPod Classic. Any deck I could get that integrates well with any/all of those would be fantastic.

If I may ask, what features are you talking about with the new Pioneers integrating well with iPhones?

Old 03-27-2011, 06:14 PM
a couple of weeks ago, I installed a pioneer avh-p3300bt double din deck to replace my aging alpine single din. I absolutely love it. it has built in Bluetooth for calls and it works very well. it has a DVD player which I won't use very often but it's nice to have. it has an optional GPS unit which I did not purchase sine I use navigon on my iPhone. it has an awesome pandora interface that gives you access to your lists and the thumbs up/down feature.

best of all, it has app-mode. basically, what it does is enable any iPhone app with video out to use the deck's monitor. here are some examples:
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

YouTube - MotionX-GPS Drive

some of the things I don't like about the unit is that the iPod cable has to be plugged into the face and that the BT is for calls only, no streaming A2DP. if you spend more for the higher end models, these issues are addressed. I really don't have too many complaints since this unit is available on amazon for only $350.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:19 AM
Have an extra brand new dash kit that came with my Crutchfield order and I'd be glad to let it go for less than that amazon kit. Let me know if you're interested and I'll ship it out to you.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neil patrick harris
a couple of weeks ago, I installed a pioneer avh-p3300bt double din deck to replace my aging alpine single din. I absolutely love it. it has built in Bluetooth for calls and it works very well. it has a DVD player which I won't use very often but it's nice to have. it has an optional GPS unit which I did not purchase sine I use navigon on my iPhone. it has an awesome pandora interface that gives you access to your lists and the thumbs up/down feature.

best of all, it has app-mode. basically, what it does is enable any iPhone app with video out to use the deck's monitor. here are some examples:
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

YouTube - MotionX-GPS Drive

some of the things I don't like about the unit is that the iPod cable has to be plugged into the face and that the BT is for calls only, no streaming A2DP. if you spend more for the higher end models, these issues are addressed. I really don't have too many complaints since this unit is available on amazon for only $350.
I'm in the planning stages for an install. I've found the Pioneer FH-P8000BT. Has anyone installed one? Any thoughts on this unit?