2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

has anyone tried to place a sub here?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 05:29 PM
has anyone tried to place a sub here?

I just bought a JL Audio 6w3v3-4 sub. I am exploring creative ways to mount this sub out of the way as I constantly haul things. I initially considered the spare tire mount but I wanted to run this by you folks. The driver is pretty heavy at 6lbs so I want the mounting to be SECURE. I don't want to injure or kill an occupant with a flying sub. I was thinking about a fiberglass enclusure in the small pocket behind the rear seat along the passenger side. I poked around in the plastic pocket and it is entirely too flimsy to support it by itself. I'd have to rivet/screw a steel frame around the box to the large vertical support to the right in the photo and the sheet metal on the left of this pocket.

The sub requires only .15ft^3 in a sealed enclosure. So, I am sure the enclosure will fit within this area if I remove the plastic pocket.

Gimme some feedback or suggestions before I go at it. Bad idea? Am I placing stresses on parts of the car beyond their designed purposes? Is this a liability on wheels? Has this been done before with any success?

*Photo used with permission from Black3sr*

Name:  fromBlack3sr.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  48.2 KB

Old 05-19-2011, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
It's relatively common to make a fiberglass bucket for a cavity in the hull of a car. Instead of dealing with fiberglass, I would want to make a small box for the sub out of MDF and figure out a secure method of fastening the box to the hull, such as metal brackets, rubber washers, and nuts with thread lock in them.

Is there a similar cavity on the driver's side? Two would be pretty decent bottom end.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:22 PM
There is a space on the driver side, but it's filled by the fuel fill box/hose. I considered this space for the same project myself, but the sub I had wouldn't fit nicely for me. The MDF is a good call, you want something much stiffer than a fg shell will give you. MDF encapsulated with fg is pretty good mechanically, the fg will seal any leakage, and also protect the MDF from condensation and subsequent damage.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
Could someone point me to more information on the spare tire mount?

Old 05-23-2011, 06:43 PM
I am putting the sub in the same space that you have here but im leaving the plastic in place i have photos on other threads, im still working on it i have a 12inch jl w3 going in place. Ill post pics when im done but this seems like the best spot

Old 05-24-2011, 07:14 PM
RE: Spare tire mount. Two options. Most common, remove spare tire and use resulting space, build enclosure to use entire volume or vast majority thereof. Option two, pick your sub VERY carefully to fit a tiny enclosure, then use the method here: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tons-pics.html to have your sub AND your spare.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kbri
RE: Spare tire mount. Two options. Most common, remove spare tire and use resulting space, build enclosure to use entire volume or vast majority thereof. Option two, pick your sub VERY carefully to fit a tiny enclosure, then use the method here: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tons-pics.html to have your sub AND your spare.
Thanks for the info.