2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Pioneer HU and door locks stopped working!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Pioneer HU and door locks stopped working!

I have had a Pioneer F90BT, Polk Audio 1100.5, Infinity speakers with a 9 inch drop down screen for the past year and a half and everything has worked fine except that I am on my third drop down screen, I think, due to the fact that I used the power antenna lead from the HU. The audio shop said that when the engine was on, it provided enough power, but when the engine was off, the voltage dropped to around 9-10 volts. Since it was a switched power source, I didn't worry about it since I wasn't going to turn the drop down screen on unless the engine was on. But, I suspect that the screens died because the voltage was not consistently in their operating range... but I am no expert. Soooo, I decided to get a new drop down screen, and run power for it from an unused slot in the fuse box (the one just to the left of slot 14 if I remember correctly), which I did. When I installed it, I had some problems trying to get the screen as close as possible to the factory dome light and had to take it down a few times, had some trouble with stripped screws, therefore, taking some time, maybe 30-45 min. give or take. I also wired the drop down screen light to go on with both the open door setting and the "on" button on the screen itself, which the car audio shop had also done. Well, I had my engine and system on the whole time with a movie playing. Just as I was screwing in the last screw, I heard an audio pop, and the HU went black. The dome light no longer works, although the screen shows a message that there is no video signal, so I guess it works. Oddly, the power door locks now only work when the engine is on, but not when it is off, nor do the transmitter key unlock/lock buttons work. I checked the fuses for the radio, all the door locks, and the new power lead fuse (including the inline fuse) and there are no blown fuses. I also checked the fuse on the HU, which was OK. I have always suspected that the Fit does not provide enough power for everything I have running when it is idling, and I think that this is what happened causing "something" to happen. The only problem is that I have no idea what that "something" is, and I don't know what else to check. I hope that I didn't do something very ignorant. Anyone have any ideas? Other than the above problems, the car seems to drive and operate normally.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
Did you ever upgarde the stock battery?

Ever do Big 3 upgrade?

Are you running 0 gauge to the amp?

When you install stuff, unhook the battery, it will solve alot of silly problems.

Why didn't you install it right the first time?

Old 07-31-2011, 10:31 PM
I just wanted to update my situation. Just three days later, the problem was found. It turns out that the upper most left fuse in the interior fuse box was blown. It's the one partially obscured under the fuse puller. I changed the fuse and fixed the rigged wire by putting in an add a fuse instead of just sticking the bare wire under a fuse blade, which I think caused the problem in the first place. Everything works great now.

The big 3 is duly noted and I will do this sometime in the future.