2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Jonesing for a mirror with temp and compass...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 02:06 PM
Jonesing for a mirror with temp and compass...

I would like some advice from some persons who
have had such a critter installed.

There seem to be a couple of candidates:

Gentex GENK20A and GENK21A ( what is the difference?)

Also

CIPA 3640.

Any input would be appreciated...

The local Honda service manager did not think there should
be any problem with the wiring.

Thanks

Jerry

Old 10-02-2012, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
I have a CIBA in my Fit and a Gentex in my wife's Mazda 3. All things being equal I recommend the Gentex, but if the CIBA is cheaper, there is nothing wrong with it.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
grayfox- just a question, but do you have a smart phone? if so, i use an app on my droid that has both compass and weather along with convenient nav and other app buttons. much cheaper and convenient to have, if you already have a smartphone.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:37 AM
Tk3
5 Year Member
I'm also shopping for mirrors but I haven't decided which brand to get.

Originally Posted by Grayfox
Gentex GENK20A and GENK21A ( what is the difference?)
I found this information on a website that sells Gentex:

Please note that some of the 50-GENKxxA part numbers use the same mirror and indicate only a difference in the wire harness included with the mirror. For example the 50-GENK50A and 50-GENK51A both use the exact same mirror but include different harnesses. For these mirrors the "0" in the 50-GENKx0A part number indicates an aftermarket harness that uses heavier gauge color coded wire and includes in-line fuse holders, the "1" in the 50-GENKx1A part number indicates a harness manufactured by Gentex that uses smaller gauge black wire without the in-line fuse holders.
I assume this also applies to the Gentex GENK20A and GENK21A (the difference is probably wiring and fuses)

Originally Posted by Grayfox
Also CIPA 3640
On another thread, I read a post from someone who really likes their CIPA. The only complaint I've read was that the instructions tell you to place the temperature sensor where it can get air (like in the grill) which can result in warm readings after idling for a while. I guess that could be a problem with any of these if you mount the temperature sensor where the engine could heat it up.

The main reason I hear people give for buying the CIPA over the Gentex is price. I'd like to know how they compare in regards to quality and accuracy (regardless of price).

-TK3