2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Built my own quick release, powered enclosure

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 10:18 PM
Cool Built my own quick release, powered enclosure

Have a Bazooka but wanted something with a lot more authority that I could still just unplug and take out easily if I wanted more space. So found a solution, thought I'd share.
Wanted to keep space at a premium, so I chose the Sundown SD 8 inch subs, their specifically designed for very small enclosures, providing clean, tight powerful bass.

Each chamber is .30 ft3 using 3/4" Birch

The idea is to integrate an amplifier into the enclosure itself and use some kind of plug that will accept heavy gauge wire for power/ground/remote cables so that I can quickly disconnect from the back. This amp is 1500 watt RMS and extremely efficient, it won't even make the lights dim when cranked on stock battery and alternator.

I found these 3 prong plugs that accept 4 awg at Lowes. I used Knukoncept OFC wire. The white RCA is a Monster cable, used a Y-adapter from the HU to bridge both channels into this one RCA, so this way there is only one wire to disconnect.

Inside of the back cover, the female terminal and RCA Y adapter

Messed up the back panel a bit, came out too thick and doesn't form tightly around the amp but will be easy to make another. I added handles to each side so I could take it in and out when needed.

Plugged in. The U-bolt is for this bicycle lock to act as a tether and prevent theft. Again you can see where the back cover didn't line up but I'll redo it someday.

A little polyfill and sundown logo for show...I wish I put that sticker on top of the box actually but whatever. Also it's my first carpet job, wasn't too hard but could have turned out better.

Finished. For the size this thing pounds. Has a nice, tight punchy sound and compliments the sound of the JLA C3 speakers I have up front very well. So now if I need more space for groceries, it only takes me a few seconds to unplug it and set it aside in my garage. Alternativly I could probably use velcro straps instead of bicycle lock but figured I'd add a sense of security.

Hope you enjoyed looking at this as much as I enjoy listening to it and hopefully will give others some new ideas as well instead of relying on the weakly Basslink's..etc

Old 08-02-2014, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
I had the exact same idea but using insulated plugs. I used to run 8s back in my car audio days. Your setup looks great!

Gotta get off my butt and do my car.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:04 PM
Thanks. And if you need the smallest box possible, these subs are very impressive for the price. ($150 each and woofersetc.com got me fast, free shipping. If I had the money though, I would like to try the new Alpine T12's. They are shallow mount but also like $600 a piece.

I also think a single 12 in a ported box, perhaps sundown's SA line and a mini amp like RF's new Power mini amps probably wouldn't take up much more space than this. It's just a shame that no one really makes a legit quick disconnect kit for car amps but this plug from Lowes works out perfect. Vibe audio did have one but only sold in the UK.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
I actually purchased an Alpine Type R but the regular version. The new motor structures are very impressive. Gonna throw it in a prefab since I'm lazy. 1.5 @ 36hz models pretty well.

You make me want to try the sundown. I followed the development and it's an impressive beast of a subwoofer. Any fit owners crunched for space should seriously consider one.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
Great idea for a setup that can be removed quickly and easily. Nice job!

-Dustin

Old 08-09-2014, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Bama3Dr
Great idea for a setup that can be removed quickly and easily. Nice job!

-Dustin
Thanks. Today was actually the first day I needed to remove it, it's quite a convenience.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
Really liking that disconnect. Was looking to possibly use Molex connectors, but just have never gotten around to it. When going out on circuit, normally the night before I remove the small box I have and electric tape the wiring, pull the main fuse and just leave it hanging out.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
Really liking that disconnect. Was looking to possibly use Molex connectors, but just have never gotten around to it. When going out on circuit, normally the night before I remove the small box I have and electric tape the wiring, pull the main fuse and just leave it hanging out.
Yeah if you're not taking it out often, you're method is the way to go and it can be difficult to find very many options for heavy gauge wire molex, would be nice if more amp makers at least had quick disconnect on the amp itself. I have an older MTX x-thunder 300 watt amp that has it, not sure why they don't implement it on all their amps.
But I do believe the Rockford Fosgate "mini" amps have quick disconnect molex for the power, there may be others like it out there but none seem to be heavy gauge nor very powerful amps anyway.