Running power wire for amp

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Running power wire for amp

Okay I have a 2008 Fit, i have everything hooked up for my subs but i cant seem to find anyplace to put the wire through to connect it to the battery. preferably would rather not have to drill through the firewall, is there a plug im missing anywhere to make this easier on myself? Thank you in advance for the help

Edit: Sorry if this has been posted and answered before, i looked around already and couldnt find anything on here about it

Last edited by iFit08; 03-11-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
Where can you pull a power wire for your Amp. through the Firewall??
^click on the folder,

The same question was asked here. If it's an A/T where the clutch goes through is right behind the battery. And a gromment from the local H.W. store and it's done. GL
Big Mike

Old 03-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Perrenoud Fit
Where can you pull a power wire for your Amp. through the Firewall??
^click on the folder,

The same question was asked here. If it's an A/T where the clutch goes through is right behind the battery. And a gromment from the local H.W. store and it's done. GL
Big Mike

thanks for the quick response, but what is the A/t you are talking about?

Old 03-11-2011, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
Talking

Originally Posted by iFit08
thanks for the quick response, but what is the A/t you are talking about?
A/T = automatic transmision

Old 03-11-2011, 07:32 PM
A/T = automatic transmision
thought that was what it was but i didnt want to make myself look like an idiot, guess i did anyway lol.

but my car is a 5 speed, there is a small plug near where the brake is but when i pop it out there is a peice of metal about 2 centimeters in and that is the only one i can find.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
Arrow I had to drill it.

thought that was what it was but i didnt want to make myself look like an idiot, guess i did anyway lol.

but my car is a 5 speed, there is a small plug near where the brake is but when i pop it out there is a peice of metal about 2 centimeters in and that is the only one i can find.
5speeds are nice. If ya drill a 1/2" hole a 3/8" hole gromment will fit I found that this was the shortest distance to the amp. What gauge wire are you using? and what is ths max amp draw of your amp?

Old 03-11-2011, 08:16 PM
5speeds are nice. If ya drill a 1/2" hole a 3/8" hole gromment will fit I found that this was the shortest distance to the amp. What gauge wire are you using? and what is ths max amp draw of your amp?

i beleive it is 6g wire, and im a noob with anything electrical, its a sony xplod 1000w if thats what you where asking

Old 03-11-2011, 09:00 PM
No need for drilling!!!

I also own an 08 MT fit that I had to fish an amp wire through to the battery. There is no need to drill a hole! I'm a fairly large old person with big hands and it took about 5 minutes to get through the driver's side wiring grommet which comes out behind the driver's side strut tower in the engine compartment right behind the battery. Above your pedals get a flashlight and look up and to the left. Removing that panel below the steering wheel makes it much easier. There are two grommets already made for running the fit's wiring through the firewall. I gently used a standard screwdriver to pierce a small hole in the grommet and ran the power wire along side the Honda wires. Go look and see. The driver's side grommet is not that hard to see or get to and after I removed the battery pulling the wire through from the engine side is a breeze. No need for drilling!

Old 03-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by feddup
I also own an 08 MT fit that I had to fish an amp wire through to the battery. There is no need to drill a hole! I'm a fairly large old person with big hands and it took about 5 minutes to get through the driver's side wiring grommet which comes out behind the driver's side strut tower in the engine compartment right behind the battery. Above your pedals get a flashlight and look up and to the left. Removing that panel below the steering wheel makes it much easier. There are two grommets already made for running the fit's wiring through the firewall. I gently used a standard screwdriver to pierce a small hole in the grommet and ran the power wire along side the Honda wires. Go look and see. The driver's side grommet is not that hard to see or get to and after I removed the battery pulling the wire through from the engine side is a breeze. No need for drilling!
if it wasnt so dang cold and windy out id go finish it up right now, the exact kind of answer i was looking for, thank you very very much. ill post here and let ya know how it goes tomorrow, thanks again

Old 03-11-2011, 09:57 PM
relatively easy

if it wasnt so dang cold and windy out id go finish it up right now, the exact kind of answer i was looking for, thank you very very much. ill post here and let ya know how it goes tomorrow, thanks again
I used 4 gauge but 6 gauge ought to be close enough. Some people use a specifically made "fishing wire" for taking the wire through tight grommets. Thick wire should be good enough (stiffness) on it's own. After gently poking a hole in the grommet, from the driver's side of the firewall I covered the end of the power wire in electrical tape, greased it a little and pushed it through the newly made opening in the grommet. With the battery removed (have your radio code ready!) reach around the strut tower and you can feel the wire. I'm not small or flexible and have big hands. Still it was not very hard at all! Good luck!

Old 03-11-2011, 10:12 PM
I used 4 gauge but 6 gauge ought to be close enough. Some people use a specifically made "fishing wire" for taking the wire through tight grommets. Thick wire should be good enough (stiffness) on it's own. After gently poking a hole in the grommet, from the driver's side of the firewall I covered the end of the power wire in electrical tape, greased it a little and pushed it through the newly made opening in the grommet. With the battery removed (have your radio code ready!) reach around the strut tower and you can feel the wire. I'm not small or flexible and have big hands. Still it was not very hard at all! Good luck!
i couldnt wait and went to go for it just now, i took off both those peices of dash (the one for the fuse box and the other panel) and i didnt see those two grommets anywhere around there. nowheres on the left side, what am i missin out on lol

Old 03-11-2011, 10:26 PM
fuse panel

It's above the fuse panel and to the left. Get a bright flashlight and look for the the wires converging to a single spot (the driver's side grommet). The grommet is about an inch in diameter (guessing). Your head will have to be about where your feet will normally be. Be patient! It's not all the way up on the firewall and really is fairly (not a total breeze) easy to access. By the way I should give credit to other FFers who gave me this info about 3 months ago. I'm no pioneer.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:03 PM
It's above the fuse panel and to the left. Get a bright flashlight and look for the the wires converging to a single spot (the driver's side grommet). The grommet is about an inch in diameter (guessing). Your head will have to be about where your feet will normally be. Be patient! It's not all the way up on the firewall and really is fairly (not a total breeze) easy to access. By the way I should give credit to other FFers who gave me this info about 3 months ago. I'm no pioneer.
theres no way i could even attempt to fit my small hand above the fuse panel lol, i took off the peice of plastic around the hood lever on the inside and around some of those wires i see what appears to be a grommet in the general area of the fuse box though. is that it?

Old 03-12-2011, 02:53 AM
5 Year Member
I just poked a hole through the grommet in the hole above the gas pedal. It comes out behind the air box but just loop your wire through a coat hanger and pull it through. Super easy and poking the hole with a coat hanger made sure the hole wasn't too big for the wire. I will say getting around under there is a pain in the butt though. And I am not a big dude by anyone's standards.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:38 PM
missing it

theres no way i could even attempt to fit my small hand above the fuse panel lol, i took off the peice of plastic around the hood lever on the inside and around some of those wires i see what appears to be a grommet in the general area of the fuse box though. is that it?
Somehow you're missing it. There's no need to take the fuse panel or the hood release cover off. The large plastic piece that's under the steering wheel is enough. I just looked at mine. From where the clutch actuator rod goes through the firewall go left 4 inches and up 6 inches and you'll see the grommet. My hands are large and they fit fine. It is an inch or so around with wires running to it. I made all these measurements without removing ANY trim pieces. Good luck. I find it hard to believe two 08 MT fits would be different.

Last edited by feddup; 03-12-2011 at 12:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-12-2011, 12:41 PM
tight

Originally Posted by Jamy
I just poked a hole through the grommet in the hole above the gas pedal. It comes out behind the air box but just loop your wire through a coat hanger and pull it through. Super easy and poking the hole with a coat hanger made sure the hole wasn't too big for the wire. I will say getting around under there is a pain in the butt though. And I am not a big dude by anyone's standards.
It's NOT fun for big people to get in there but if you want 35 or so MPGs AND you're a big person AND you work on your own car then there are going to be some NON comfy moments!