2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weak/ambiguous clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 04:46 PM
Weak/ambiguous clutch?

Does anyone else find the clutch kinda tricky to operate? It feels very weak to me, almost like delicate or precious. Like if I release slightly too quick, the car would buck and it wouldn't be smooth. If I'm slightly too slow there would be way too much slipping and I feel I'm just wearing the clutch.

I got my 2010 fit used at 150k and apparently the dealer I bought it from replaced the clutch, so I don't know if this is normal or what. It also shudders/shakes the car sometimes when engaging 1st gear from a stop. Only sometimes. But I guess that could be a characteristic of a new clutch?

I also know that the stock master cylinder has the delay thing going on, could that be all I'm experiencing?

All my cars in the past have been manual and I consider myself an above average driver, so I'm just looking to see what others experience. Thanks !

Old 02-22-2019, 06:33 PM
The Fit's clutch a long with many other modern small cars with manual transmissions is extremely light without out much or any feel when it engages. Will probably take some getting used to. Also the gear ratio between 1st and 2nd is tight so getting a super smooth shift was difficult at first. You use 3rd a lot more in this car.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
I found it shifted more smoothly when you revved it out a bit (4K). Removing the delay valve is suppose to help!

Old 02-25-2019, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FullEffect256
It also shudders/shakes the car sometimes when engaging 1st gear from a stop.
That sounds like a master/slave cylinder issue. I replaced mine (also a 2010) around 155-160k, and had replaced the clutch maybe 20-30k before that.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by punx45
That sounds like a master/slave cylinder issue. I replaced mine (also a 2010) around 155-160k, and had replaced the clutch maybe 20-30k before that.
Interesting.. so you put a new clutch, got the same shuddering, and then fixed it by replacing the master/slave cylinders? I can tell the slave cylinder has been replaced, but I can't see the master cylinder to tell. Maybe I should just replace that with one of those older Civic ones that don't have the delay?

Old 02-27-2019, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
01-05 civic if memory serves. Here is a link to the full write up, and its slick. The 01-05 is a direct bolt on, no bending of anything. Reasonably priced too, Nissin i believe is the oem brand and i got mine new for like 40 bucks or something.
it gives you clutch feel.
​​​​​​it really works. But the clutch is still a soft touch.
continuing to try to resolve this issue on my own I found improvement via basic maintenance, ie: nice plugs, clean filter, premium fuel. The tinsy bit of power helps the engine compete with the clutch's aggressive grip. I honestly believe the thing is too damned grippy, even nearing 70k it takes some heat to smooth it out.

other stuff! Struts struts struts. If you want, get checked for jacked up struts. I honestly couldnt tell, the dudes at evans caught it for me. No oil leak or nothin, but after I installed the new ones I saw more reduction in shudder.

Also adjusted the clutch pedal to its lowest position to shorten throw of the thing. Having to touch your knee to your chest with the stock position is ridiculous.
Paired that with actually sitting upright and proper, and also a headrest from.. I think it was an 07 accord coupe. The coupe one doesnt push your head forwar, so sitting upright can actually be a thing.

most recently, I installed the T-rev advertised in another thread in this here ge8 forum, near the top actually. It helps with that whole rpm drop off when engaging the clutch.. I'm convinced of that one, truly, but we're still verifying actual numeric results and deciding on the best permnant mounting location.

​​​what a list for a simple issue, right?!

When it comes time for the clutch I sure as hell wont get the oem. Might go with Spec's stage 1. They've claimed its engagement is smoother than stock.

if you stumble upon a 100% tighten this one nut kinda fix, you gotta let me know, man. Besides all mentioned, yeah, its still a soft touch. All that stuff makes it a lot less awful though..
be sure to check the struts though. In a few cases, mine also, they go out as early as 50k
Maybe less.
​​​​​​

Old 02-27-2019, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
Tallied all that up.. 90+shipping each for the kyb excel-g struts via rockauto.. 45 each for matching rear shocks (doesnt affect shudder). 50+shipping for the t-rev.. 35 for the headrest via ebay. The nissin cmc was around 40, ebay, new.
grand total..: right around $320. 420 with those rear shocks..
​​​​

Old 02-28-2019, 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by Pyts
Tallied all that up.. 90+shipping each for the kyb excel-g struts via rockauto.. 45 each for matching rear shocks (doesnt affect shudder). 50+shipping for the t-rev.. 35 for the headrest via ebay. The nissin cmc was around 40, ebay, new.
grand total..: right around $320. 420 with those rear shocks..
​​​​
Dude excellent post, thank you for all that info. I replaced the rear shocks but left the front ones. Very sure they're shot (150k) and it makes sense to me that would affect the clutch. Will do that and the cmc as you suggested. I'll report back when I get around to it.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:55 AM
5 Year Member
Interesting.. so you put a new clutch, got the same shuddering, and then fixed it by replacing the master/slave cylinders? I can tell the slave cylinder has been replaced, but I can't see the master cylinder to tell. Maybe I should just replace that with one of those older Civic ones that don't have the delay?
no I replaced the clutch because I blew it out. There was 0 disengagement 😎 I just mentioned it was new to take it out of the equation.

if the shuddering is what I think, it’s because of reduced pressure in the hydraulic system, so the clutch isn’t throwing out as far as it should, so when you go to let it out, it clamps down sooner than you expect. For me I also had to really slam the pedal to the floor, and it grabbed almost immediately when releasing the pedal.

I don’t recall if you can even see the master without moving the air box and stuff. It’s pedal height on the firewall.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
Dude excellent post, thank you for all that info. I replaced the rear shocks but left the front ones. Very sure they're shot (150k) and it makes sense to me that would affect the clutch. Will do that and the cmc as you suggested. I'll report back when I get around to it.
Happy to help, man!
Oh and here's the clutch pedal adj. and the cmc replacement procedures. Uhh. If theres any other part you need help with there in regards to pulling info for yuh (I know it refers you to other sections, but it's unlikely you need to see how to remove the wipers, yeah?)
No offense intended there.

In regards to firmness of the clutch pedal which I think the other gent was referring to, you can try using performance brake fluids provided they say they're safe to mix. Personally I ran bel-ray dot 5. It's sold for motorcycles (and I really like their lubes n such). Its a seriously positive feel, but it does soften up after a while. I don't recall when it started to soften up on me, but even when it gets squishy, it's squishy is about the same as Honda's firm. Worth it from my perspective, at the very least to demonstrates the variety of feels you can get out of different fluids, kind of like how different tires can be the difference between oversteer and understeer. the bleeding is such a small amount of fluid I had some left over from the little container, so it wont kill your wallet.

Now for the pedal adjustment which is pretty easy, albeit uncomfortable to perform, when you adjust it all the way down you'll be right around the threshold for engagement/disengagement. really, its right where you'd want it to be for a sporty car. Hey, throw a short-shifter in while you're at it! The buddyclub I picked up was pretty cheap and lowers the knob to, again, where it's supposed to be. None of these little mods will leave you dissatisfied.

Edit: Oh, and looking forward to hearing from you! I'm sure it'll be quite a while, but if you remember I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts on the stuff.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Clutch Pedal Adjustment.pdf (2.35 MB, 200 views)
File Type: pdf
CMC Replacement.pdf (2.51 MB, 120 views)

Last edited by Pyts; 02-28-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
I friggin hate the delay valve. Makes me shift like a newb, but I've been driving for 25+ years on multiple stickshift cars and my technique is fine. I hate the delay, I just don't have the energy to do the MC replacement.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SuperMacGuy
I friggin hate the delay valve. Makes me shift like a newb, but I've been driving for 25+ years on multiple stickshift cars and my technique is fine. I hate the delay, I just don't have the energy to do the MC replacement.
The job is much less painful than driving with that garbage every day. Think they wanted it to shift like an automatic or somethin. No rev matching, no aggressive, fun stuff. With the proper procedure and the direct swap cmc from the 01-05 civic, it'll only give you the trouble you bring yourself.
The "night and day" expression gets thrown around a lot, but fits like a glove here.

Oh, if anyones looking to buy a dusty ziplocked stock cmc, hit me up. Just pay shipping

Old 03-04-2019, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
I did't find it too annoying. I got used to it I guess. Maybe it was not annoying enough to go through the hassle of replacing the MC I did have an 01 Civic before my Fit and though it shifted better. The best was my 88 Accord.

My GTI has one also but all you have to do is remove a clutch line and pull out a orifice that is in the end.

Old 03-05-2019, 05:58 PM
Mine does this too. Kept thinking the clutch was going out. Once it warms up not so bad. Plus need more gas pedal. My fluid was low. I got some Prolong but now that it is full I haven't added it yet.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:52 AM
5 Year Member
I screwed up above. Buddy club ss is 130... sorry.
still worth each penny.
its funny, I confronted the local honda service manager, played it off like a real politician. Not like the weird engagement is a secret. Lost the OEM clutch P/N. wanted to cross reference it with other hondas to see if its a multi-application deal.