2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Two minor (yet pestering) with my FIT as of late..

Old 02-25-2019, 03:29 AM
5 Year Member
Two minor (yet pestering) with my FIT as of late..

Hi everyone need your tips on a couple issues that keep pestering me as of late..the fit remote, why do i always have to click once to open driver door then once more to open the passenger door? Is it rigged up like that or is there something i'm missing? My old lady has always got to wait before accessing the passenger door because i always have to remember to click twice on the remote which seems really stupid if thats how its rigged up..ive tried the door panel buttons to "open" or "close" to see if that would trigger an instant unlock of both ( all doors would be preferrable if thats possible) front doors..
Then the other thing, i recentley purchased the bigger tires for my fit sport (205/50R-16) stock alloy wheels after getting advise here and i recently moved to Cali from NYC which had horrible pot holes..the tire was inflated accordingly at 32 psi i believe..the roads are a tad better here, but i am wondering if i should add more air a quick visual inspection of most tires on the road looks like the tires are "fuller" than mine although i dont have concrete proof ofcourse.

As always, your tips cheerfully accepted.
zero2hero

Old 02-25-2019, 08:25 AM
5 Year Member
I believe you can program the remote to act differently but not sure if you can do it yourself or if the dealer has too.

I ran my tires around 38-40 pounds. I would go higher then 32 and see how it does.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
Check the owner's manual. You can change the remote behavior.

Old 02-25-2019, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
thanks- i'll check the manual and see if this subject is covered..for the record though, are any of you guys able to open both front, or all four doors simultaneously with one click ?

Old 02-25-2019, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
I rechecked the manual and you can change the automatic lock feature but I'm not sure you can change the remote behavior. I'll have to look into it.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
Carotman - So i assume in your case, you are unlocking " one door at a time"? I basically want to lock all doors at once, but want to unlock them all at once as well..i understand the possible child safety feature on the back door, maybe thats the issue but still, that would be assuming everyone has a baby in the back, - appreciate your efforts.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
The answer to your question about unlocking all doors on your Fit with one push of your key transmitter unlock button- apparently the answer is no.In the ’09-’12 Honda Fit factory service manual, the manual explains the “Keyless Entry System” in a sub-heading in the “Body Electrical” section of the manual in section 22-124. The manual says the keyless entry system is integrated with the multiplex integrated control system. The multiplex integrated control unit (MICU) receives lock, unlock and panic signals from the immobilizer-keyless control unit (keyless receiver). The keyless entry system allows you to lock and unlock the vehicle with the transmitter. When you press the lock button, all doors lock. When you press the unlock button once, only the driver’s door unlocks. The other doors will unlock when you press the unlock button a second time. Note: I didn’t use quotation marks above because this info is not verbatim from the manual- but it’s close.I’ve owned several Hondas over the years and all have worked this way with the keyless entry transmitter. Because of the integration of the keyless entry with the immobilizer system my guess it’s not a programmable option to change the system to unlock all doors with a single click of the unlock button.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:32 AM
5 Year Member
56chevydan- thanks for that long and detailed explanation, still strange that in 2012 honda didnt consider opening two front doors with one click would be important for many owners. I wonder if most other cars (of similar year) are rigged up the same way..i suspect not.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:34 AM
5 Year Member
I have a remote starter on my Fit, and when I use this remote, all doors unlock at once. When I use the Honda remote, I have the same behavior as you.

Having an aftermarket remote is a way of fixing it, but kind of expensive just for that purpose. If you can use a remote starter, then it might be worth it.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:01 AM
To my understanding, all factory installed remote key fob to unlock doors is always 1 click for driver and 2nd click for all doors
- reasoning behind it is majority of the time, it is the driver that is present to get in the car.
- also, as an added safety, if you are being followed or need to get in the car asap, by pressing the unlock button once, will only allow the driver to get in and prevent an assaillant from entering the vehicle through the other doors.
- also, this would prevent those sneeky gas station thefts where driver is pumping gas and someone opens the doors on the passenger side to steal said items from your vehicle.

Then again, I could be wrong,

Old 02-26-2019, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
Frenzal- Living in Cali means no brutal winters so a remote starter may be a stretch if its only for opening doors but i'm curios how much it set you back?

Digitized- Indeed most of the points you make have also crossed my mind but its the fact that Honda did not present a choice/option for those that would still want both doors unlocking at once, that is disappointing.

Cheers

Old 02-27-2019, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Digitized
To my understanding, all factory installed remote key fob to unlock doors is always 1 click for driver and 2nd click for all doors
- reasoning behind it is majority of the time, it is the driver that is present to get in the car.
- also, as an added safety, if you are being followed or need to get in the car asap, by pressing the unlock button once, will only allow the driver to get in and prevent an assaillant from entering the vehicle through the other doors.
- also, this would prevent those sneeky gas station thefts where driver is pumping gas and someone opens the doors on the passenger side to steal said items from your vehicle.

Then again, I could be wrong,
nailed it.
And who knows, maybe making this method of unlocking mandatory was a way of improving their vehicle safety rating.​​​​
​​​​Its not your fault the lady has to wait.

As for the tire pressure, 32 psi. different tires have different sidewall thickness. Firmer makes the ride more stiff, you'll encounter it on performance oriented tires. On things like all seasons (no seasons) youll see that comfortable squish, which also reduces tire weight, improving fuel economy. 32 psi is the general go to, as it's a good balance between load/weight capacity and grip.
Function over form, always.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:28 AM
5 Year Member
Recommended tire pressure is written on a sticker inside the driver side door. Just go with that!

Old 02-28-2019, 08:23 AM
5 Year Member
Or you could open your lady's door for her like a gentleman... The last vehicles I've owned, it's operated as you described. One push for driver door, two push for all doors to unlock.

I have 205/50/16s on my stock rims and I run 35 psi. It's not any worse than running 32 psi

Old 02-28-2019, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
guys - thanks heaps as usual..if i could throw this in the mix..another thing i noticed today, my radiator has just water (apparently unless there is another reservoir for the coolant) in it..i know the lady who owned it before always did the maintanance at the dealership so the question i have is, am i missing something or is there a separate anti freeze holder ? As many of you know, i purchased the car in NYC so whilst i am now in sunny CA..i am still curious why a car with only 36K had only water in the radiator.

cheers

Old 03-01-2019, 01:24 AM
5 Year Member
That just cant be. In NYC you'd have freezing issues near winter.. beyond that it is unlikely that you could make such a trip on just water. Water is a better coolant than antifreeze as far as heat transfer is concerned, but has a lower boiling point and a higher freezing point than anti-freeze. Running just water (which I've done in a pinch) will rust the hell out of your water pump, generating pump whine and increasing the noise caused by coolant flow which you'd hear under the hood.. all based on limited first hand experience but some aspects here have been verified by professionals. Anti-freeze functions also to prevent said corrosion and lubricate the pump. Apologies if this is scatterbrained.

If I may, there are different colors of antifreeze, one of the light ones being pink. Can check the color of hondas tomorrow just to be sure.. at any rate, dip a finger into that coolant and give it a taste. If its bitter in a way that could only be chemicals, well, you know.
stuff used to be sweet sweet poison, but I guess between being used for killing neighborhood pets and in atleast one case that I know of, a spouse via mixing with gatorade, it has since been made to taste god awful. Just a little trivia for yuh.

and no, a taste wont kill yuh, nor will swishing and spitting whiskey get you drunk.

Edit: you could pair that with a funky smell and rubbing it between your fingers to see if it feels like a super thin oil.. water will still feel, taste and smell pretty close to normal water..
if its just water, we should tend to this issue straight away.

Last edited by Pyts; 03-01-2019 at 01:27 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member
Pyts- thanks for that illumination but just to be sure about this..the only place to check the coolant is the radiator right ? I would be shocked as well if indeed drove the car with no coolant, for a car with this low miles, and original owner being a female and having it maintained by dealer, it would really shock me if that were the case but my initial test showed nothing resembling " green" hence my concern but i will check the color again to see if it is anything other than plain water and i will conduct the taste test (if no other test is available te-hehe) in daylight tomorrow.
thanks

Last edited by Zero2Hero; 03-01-2019 at 01:51 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member
Oops! just read the "edit" part, ok two tests to conduct tomorrow - feeling fidgety about this already, lets hope she didnt drive the car with just water all of the 36K miles

Old 03-01-2019, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member
Oh and for the record - my Fit was trucked from NYC to CA.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
Okay, found a minute.

Theres your coolant reservoir. Based upon the perspective shown in the image you can see your coolant level on the lower left side.

Heres the single bolt holding it in place. Can slide the reservoir up if you want to get a better look.

Heres the coolant color. Keep in mine that the inside of the radiator is black and the reservoir.. well, the reservoir is young enough to still show the proper color.
Filling and checking the coolant is done only at the reservoir. It has a hot and cold line to indicate where the level should be based upon whether or not the cars been driven recently. This is a link for a step by step guide.
Edit: Click or tap on the image for the fluid color, the image uploaded weird.

Last edited by Pyts; 03-01-2019 at 07:13 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Two minor (yet pestering) with my FIT as of late..