2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 12:24 PM
Towing Capacity

Hello,
so I learned last night that I need to make a 3000+ mile trek across the country in 6 months. Ideally I don't want to get a moving truck, but the trailers seem like a great option.

So, now the question is, what can our little fits carry? I've accepted I'm gonna get shit fuel economy doing this and will need new oil and brakes before hand.

I wouldn't be carrying much. We are just taking clothes, household items, and electronics (2 TVs). No furniture it's all Ikea shit.

We are looking at a 4x8 or 5x8 uhaul trailer.

Thanks to anyone helping!

Old 03-21-2019, 05:01 PM
Our Fits are not tow-rated, at all. It even says so in the Owner's Manual. That being said, you could probably get away with it. What I remember about UHaul trailers is that they are ridiculously heavy (for their size). Not only that, UHaul dealers may not let you tow with anything less than a Class Three hitch. The only hitches that fit our Fits are Class 1 (also, 1 1/4" opening vs 2").

Old 03-21-2019, 05:30 PM
Fill the Fit and tow it behind some other car. If the owners manual says not to tow anything and you get into an accident...

Old 03-26-2019, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by marmaladedad
Our Fits are not tow-rated, at all. It even says so in the Owner's Manual. That being said, you could probably get away with it. What I remember about UHaul trailers is that they are ridiculously heavy (for their size). Not only that, UHaul dealers may not let you tow with anything less than a Class Three hitch. The only hitches that fit our Fits are Class 1 (also, 1 1/4" opening vs 2").
False. I just put a 2” hitch on my Fit. Torklift central sells it. “ EcoHitch part number x7286 (2”)”.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by OllieP
False. I just put a 2” hitch on my Fit. Torklift central sells it. “ EcoHitch part number x7286 (2”)”.
That is a great find. But $300 is about thrice what I paid for mine. What do you plan on towing?

Old 03-27-2019, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by OllieP
Thank you for this! I looked at U-haul and they said 1 7/8 - 2".

Would something like this sportframe and 1 7/8" Tow Hitch work for the 4x8 trailer? It has a max load of 1650, and honestly its gonna not even be filled. Really just clothes (partner refuses to part), electronics and a few ikea pieces.

As far as towing or not, I cant afford to spend $2000+ on a moving van, so if its not practical ill just have to throw stuff away or ship it.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
You risk destroying your transmission, not being able to brake in emergency and might damage your motor...

Old 03-27-2019, 01:39 PM
Your Fit is really not rated for towing as stated in a previous post. Our Fits have a cargo capacity of 850lbs. Subtract that amount with the weight of your hitch, tongue weight of your trailer, weight of your cargo and you will find that you will be in the negative. Yes you can tow, but it REALLY isn't rated for towing and it would definitely be unsafe for you, your family, and anyone else on the road. I would consider renting a truck or something else other than having the Fit tow a trailer.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:02 PM
Directly from the owner's manual: page 238

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...9/K60909OM.PDF

Towing a Trailer Your vehicle is not designed to tow a trailer. Attempting to do so can void your warranties.

While I doubt your fit still has any warranty coverage, our cars are not designed to tow a trailer. Yes, there are hitches for sale for our vehicle, but most likely for a bike rack, something light.
That being said, your car, your choice. I have a trailer hitch on my 2009 Honda Fit, it was installed by the previous owners. Not sure what they towed however car is still on original engine, clutch, trans, etc..

if you do intent to tow with your fit, make sure your trailer overall weight (with items on it) doesn't surpass your vehicle's weight.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:10 PM
Got it. So the consensus here is throw everything out and just move with what fits in the back.

Thanks

Old 03-27-2019, 06:27 PM
Here is another thought - there is someone selling a Yakima roof rack, cross bars, and a cargo box (rigid) on FF. Or you could even strap a soft-sided cargo carrier to the top of your car to enhance your carrying capacity.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:54 PM
I put the hitch on my car for my kuat nv 2 bike rack. My car is 5 speed, so I might tow my trailer with my Vespa on it from time to time. My dad used to tow some serious stuff with his 1978 Volkswagon rabbit, so I’m not to concerned.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:38 PM
I have a GK, but dont be afraid to tow. I have a 6MT and a 5x8 trailer

Tailgating Party with Trailer.

~700 pound lumber run

Trailer

furniture haul 02

tongue toolbox

furniture haul 01

tongue weight empty

This is before I got the air shocks installed. its squatting somewhat, not anymore with the monroe air shocks.

Old 09-02-2019, 05:33 PM
Which hitch did you install on your GK? Any ground clearance issues when backing down driveways? Any side view pictures to show distances? I"m considering a trailer hitch on my GK for an existing hitch bike rack.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by Jazu
Which hitch did you install on your GK? Any ground clearance issues when backing down driveways? Any side view pictures to show distances? I"m considering a trailer hitch on my GK for an existing hitch bike rack.

Curt Hitch

Old 09-09-2019, 07:56 AM
Getting it moving isn't really there issue... Transmission should be low on the list. It's brakes that are the problem. If you declined a large hill you will for sure over heat them. Then the fear of getting it sideways. The fit is very light in the rear.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by Flashesbuck
Getting it moving isn't really there issue... Transmission should be low on the list. It's brakes that are the problem. If you declined a large hill you will for sure over heat them. Then the fear of getting it sideways. The fit is very light in the rear.
To add to this, it's not just the declines, but the inclines as well. Your engine may overheat.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
If the Honda Jazz can tow things, so does the Honda Fit

https://www.carsguide.com.au/honda/j...-capacity/2013

People in North America are really shy of towing anything behind something smaller than a F-250.

I've towed a 4X6 trailer full of fire wood many times without a problem. Would I do it on a mountain pass? Probably not without caution.

Old 09-09-2019, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by carotman
If the Honda Jazz can tow things, so does the Honda Fit

https://www.carsguide.com.au/honda/j...-capacity/2013

People in North America are really shy of towing anything behind something smaller than a F-250.

I've towed a 4X6 trailer full of fire wood many times without a problem. Would I do it on a mountain pass? Probably not without caution.
Have you seen these American drivers... Some of the dumbest people be hind the wheel.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Flashesbuck
Have you seen these American drivers... Some of the dumbest people be hind the wheel.
Hahaha. I'm sure America doesn't have the monopoly on dumb drivers. However, It seems easy to sue anyone for anything.

I can see Fit owners suing Honda because the car couldn't climb mount Washington for the 10th time in a row towing a 1500 lbs trailer because the automatic transmission overheated. (we all drive autos in N-A). Then the car started going backwards, fell off a cliff and started a major fire.

Quick Reply: Towing Capacity