2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just had #2 and #3 spark plugs loosen

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 09:35 PM
Just had #2 and #3 spark plugs loosen

Took out the coils as well. Some searching on the web said this is the place to find out if this is a common problem. 47700 miles.
I bought the Fit Used from a Honda Dealer with only 3,000 miles on it. It was returned from lease by an elderly couple that found it too small and wanted a CRV.
Only Maintenance to date is routine Oil/Filter changes, Recall for Air Bag, and Struts/Shocks replaced.
Is this a common problem with the Fit and some other Honda engines? Some results on Web indicate there have been complaints to NHTSA about this. Could they have not been properly tightened at the factory or is this something that I just need to add to my routine maintenance list (periodically tighten spark plugs)?

Thank you

Old 03-23-2019, 02:00 AM
5 Year Member
Hi- Welcome to the forum. Yes this is unfortunately a common problem with Honda Fits. I encourage you to use the search bar on the upper right- there are a lot of posts on this forum on that subject.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:29 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, this is common.

Root cause is unknown, although my guess is aluminum block has something to do with a torque rating that should be tighter.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:10 AM
Had the same issue and fixed it this week. I made a thread
about it but for some reason it didn't post or wasn't approved? Dunno anyways mine was #1 and #2 cylinders.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
In recent threads you will see an image of revised torque spec instruction which might have come from a Honda dealer but use at your own risk. We used that image for recent Fit spark plug change (cleaned threads and used a small amount of anti-seize per the specs on the image). This seems near the extremes of practical torque (based on a quick scan of typical alu head spark plug torque specs from both car and spark plug companies) so I think there is little tolerance for error.

For sure, you need to have very clean threads and use a good torque wrench delicately. Note the anti-seize reduces friction, significantly increasing clamping force. If you don't have a lot of experience with a torque wrench, do some research on-line for best practices as that really matters here. Practice on non critical applications first. I have seen people complain cheap torque wrenches are well out of spec or don't work so overtighten to failure. I have a few years of experience with torque wrenches so that helped a bit but frankly nobody can feel torque with precision so there is little room for error in technique or torque wrench failure IMHO.

I don't see Honda recommending Lock-Tite or similar. The ones I researched had relatively low thermal tolerances. Obviously a potential issue if you try to remove spark plugs down the line.

Worth researching extensively as the consequences of improper install & torque both ways are expensive. And the plugs are so difficult to get to checking torque frequently is impractical.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:09 PM
Thanks everyone.
We are out of town (by 3000 miles) so I had this done at the Dealership.
I had the Service Guy print out the page of the shop manual indicating spark plug replacement.
Indeed the torque is recommended @ 20 lb/ft with a small amount of anti-seize.
The plugs that were in there I suppose were factory original.
I bought the Fit used from a Honda Dealer in 2015 with 3,000 miles on it so I can't imagine that dealer having done anything to the Spark Plugs. They did tell me they did an oil/filter change and inspection.
Thus if the specification for torque has changed since 2013, then the plugs which loosened probably were torqued at the factory to the old specifications. That would explain them loosening. Hopefully will not occur again. I will check them again in another 40,000 miles.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
Good post chiilman, thank you. That's now two sources that absolutely confirm a new Honda factory torque specification at 20 LB/FT.

Old 03-24-2019, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks Chiliman. Additional confirmation of Honda Fit's revised spec to 20 LB/FT with anti-sieze in this printout:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ml#post1421486