2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0171 Code after intake install. Too much air flow bad for engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 08:42 PM
P0171 Code after intake install. Too much air flow bad for engine?

Hello. So I recently installed a K&N short ram intake. I made sure everything was hooked up correctly, no leaks, I have a new fuel pump, and MAF. So my only guess is to much air flow. My question is, will running it like this cause any problems? The CEL just bothers me honestly. I have felt nothing negative. Engine feels more responsive now. Will it be fine? Can i just clear the code? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by JMR808; 04-03-2019 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
A P0171 does not really mean too much air, it means the ECU isn’t providing enough fuel for the air it supposedly measured coming into the engine.

Despite what you said, you either have a leak around/after the MAF (more air is going into the engine than is being measured) or your fuel pump isn’t providing enough fuel.

Purposely running lean at controlled ratio close to stock is fine... And the only way to get a lean condition without an error is to purposely reflash the ECU (or use a piggyback that also intercepts the return signal from the O2 sensor). Anything else (that triggers a P0171 code) means it’s uncontrolled and could easily runaway into irreparable damage.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:10 PM
Would you recommend replacing fuel pump and fuel injectors maybe? And if i were to re flash the ECU how would I go about that? Thank you!

Old 04-03-2019, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
Check carefully for vacuum leaks with a cigar or smoke box. You might have inadvertently knocked off or split a connector/hose.

Why did you replace the MAF?

Is the new MAF Honda? On many cars, non-OEM MAFs are notorious for poor quality. There is a chance non-OEM MAF failed out of the box or is just too far out of calibration. Possible new OEM fails but lower probability.

Same questions on fuel pump.

You might want to get a decent OBD reader to look at some basic operating parameters at idle and accelerating. That can help you troubleshoot.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:48 PM
Well not exactly new at this point. Bought the car at 56k it's at 75k now. The guy I bought it from said he replaced those, so I don't know if they are OEM.

If anything I can go ahead and get OEM replacements. And I checked with incense, no leaks. I had some spare from checking airflow for my PC.

Also I still have OEM intake.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
If you didn’t have the code pop up before going with the K&N filter, then it doesn’t matter what previous owner did (within the scope of this topic).

Did you change the diameter of the tube where the MAF mounts?

For clarification, did you replace the MAF and fuel pump, or are those parts on there now, what the previous owner installed?

Old 04-03-2019, 11:10 PM
Everything was fine before hand. Only after installing K&N intake.

Sorry forgot to clarify, it is a Short ram intake. So im guessing the diameter may be different from stock. Maybe the source of the problem?

Previous owner installed, or at least says he replaced. I just took his word for it.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
If the diameter change, it could be a source of the problem... in which case, you can only hope a ECU reset to relearn the idle procedure helps.

But, looking at the product page, the diameter doesn't appear to be any bigger than the stock tubing. Their FAQ says if it triggers a CEL, something is wrong.

At this point, I would suggest one of two things... clear the DTC and hope it doesn't come back, or swap back to the OEM air box (and clear the code) to see if the code is indeed related to the k&n filter.

Old 04-09-2019, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
I just went through this same issue with a K&N short ram intake with the same P0171 code. I bought the intake new, installed it, and threw the P0171 code within 50 miles. My car has 21K original miles on it and has never thrown this code before. I had the intake on and off the car 3 times- each time looking for the source of a vacuum leak. After each installation, I cleared the code and the code came back on within 50-70 miles.

I finally contacted K&N at their office in Southern Ca. and discussed the problem with their warranty people. They acknowledged this lean condition check engine light after the installation of the short ram on some applications. I liked the way the car ran with the intake on it so I continued trying to solve the code issue myself. I bought another same-brand oem oxygen sensor and installed it with the same results. I never was able to solve the reason for the lean code condition, but I suspect it is due to the close proximity of the primary oxygen sensor’s location in the exhaust manifold right next to the back of the head. In the end, I took the K&N off my car and re-installed the stock airbox and have not thrown any codes since.

If you bought your intake new, contact K&N’s warranty people- they will warranty your intake.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
I put an HPS short ram intake on my GE08 over a year ago. No codes at all and I love the sound.
I tried a K&N intake on a Ranger that I had a couple years ago and was constantly getting cel codes. Tightening the clamp would work for a week of so and then reappear.
Finally gave up with the K&N and sold it.

The HPS was quite a bit less expensive than the K&N (from Ebay)

Last edited by steve37; 04-09-2019 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:52 PM
You know, i had a p171 code on my Fit as well, it developed somewhere around 110K. However my machine is stock. Would you believe it or not- after checking my exhaust and intake integrity i was about to give up and live with it.
One evening, i had to haul fuel for my cabin. Ive rigged up a oil barrel with a tire Schrader valve so i can apply air to fill my cabin tank from the driveway with a hose. Anyway, the rig worked well until the 600lbs of fuel in the hatch kind of pendulumed me right off the ice and into the ditch next to Ivory Jacks. At -30F the rubber valve snapped like plastic and flooded the car with all 45 gallons of heating oil. It sat until morning when i called for a tow.
After crashing the car into a ditch and spilling 40ish gallons of fuel in it... p171 went away and never returned! I am rolling around at 155K on the odometer and havent had a single check engine light since. Crazy, eh? I promise all contamination is gone and you wouldnt even know it.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:08 AM
P0171

Originally Posted by JMR808
Hello. So I recently installed a K&N short ram intake. I made sure everything was hooked up correctly, no leaks, I have a new fuel pump, and MAF. So my only guess is to much air flow. My question is, will running it like this cause any problems? The CEL just bothers me honestly. I have felt nothing negative. Engine feels more responsive now. Will it be fine? Can i just clear the code? Thanks in advance!
This code is a common fault on the ge8 I've had it come up twice cleared it both times, the second time I cleaned the maf sensor it made a noticeable difference in throttle response and fuel economy. I would definitely try doing that

Old 05-20-2019, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Luke Di Stefano
This code is a common fault on the ge8 I've had it come up twice cleared it both times, the second time I cleaned the maf sensor it made a noticeable difference in throttle response and fuel economy. I would definitely try doing that
Luke- Your suggestion of cleaning the maf sensor makes sense and couldn't hurt in any application, but the OP didn't mention having the code before putting the K&N short ram on his car- just after. This was the same thing that I encountered, as mentioned in my earlier post here. Per K&N, this lean condition has been documented by them in some applications and they haven't been able to correct it. When I pulled the K&N off my car and put the stock air box back on, I haven't thrown a code since. It appears the lean condition is inherent in the design of the K&N intake.

Old 02-09-2021, 09:39 AM
Having the same issue

Hey, i was wondering what was the outcome of your issue? I just recently installed the same K&N Short ram and encountering the same CEL P0171 lean 1.

Old 02-11-2021, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
Put the OEM intanke and get a K&N drop in filter...

Old 01-23-2022, 09:32 PM
I've had the same issue ever since I installed my 69 series k&n cold air intake. I couldn't find any vacuum leaks at all so I had my mechanic look at it and they weren't able find any either. What they thought was that the computer is basically just reading more air than it knows what to do with, and thus is throwing me a p0171 code.

I've been thinking about installing an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and seeing if I could optimize the air/fuel ratio that way.

I'd like to hear other people's opinions on this method

Old 11-02-2022, 10:03 PM
Hey, how's the HPS short ram behaving? still no cel codes? interested in swapping out my K&N for this one.

Old 11-02-2022, 10:12 PM
after cleaning the MAF sensor,did the code come back on? if so how many miles after? i cant pass inspection bc i have a CEL code.

Old 11-03-2022, 07:31 AM
5 Year Member
I mounted an RZCrew IM and "made by me" intake and My GK threw this code.... Since there's more air coming in, it will freak out the ECM, throw the code and start correcting for the alleged fault.... I have KTuner V.2 and saw the fuel trims went berserk.... Talked to my tuner and we're planning on a re-tune to fix this....

Old 01-13-2023, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by steve37
I put an HPS short ram intake on my GE08 over a year ago. No codes at all and I love the sound.
I tried a K&N intake on a Ranger that I had a couple years ago and was constantly getting cel codes. Tightening the clamp would work for a week of so and then reappear.
Finally gave up with the K&N and sold it.

The HPS was quite a bit less expensive than the K&N (from Ebay)
I'd also like to know if its still good.