2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Mount Diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 12:54 AM
Motor Mount Diagnosis

Hey, all.

I was inspecting my mounts today because I realized it was something I hadn't checked after the wreck I had last January.

I can only seem to find to mounts one on the left side front passenger and one on the right side driver front.

I found that the plastic part was cracked and put some hondabond on it for now. Why not eh?

this is the driver side. The plastic piece coated in hondabond i could move with my fingers. Also notice how big the gaps are

Time to get some new mounts?
These are mounts, correct? Lol
Thanks in advance for any insight.

Last edited by ChuckDustin; 04-08-2019 at 12:57 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
That rubber strap that has split on your passenger side mount is just a bumper I believe. The actual mount that you need to be concerned about is that black can . The other motor mount is located under the battery area. There is also a transmission mount under the car . So three mounts total for the car. Have someone start the car and rev the engine with the brake on and stand off to the side. Observe if the engine jumps excessively. You might also notice a clunking noise whenever accelerating the car. Mount under the car just inspect the rubber portion and check for cracks or splitting.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:29 AM
Thank you sir, will look at it when my wife gets home.

The reason I'm even posting about this it's because when you look at the engine win the car is running, the engine itself, the throttle body and it airbox are all noticeably vibrating. Is there some sense of this that is normal?

Old 04-08-2019, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
Your driver side mount looks like it needs to be replaced, hard to tell with all that HondaBond on it ! But if it is split like you had mentioned it’s time to replace it. My experience with mounts is that once one fails the others soon will also due to extra stress or load being placed on the remaining mounts. Like I mentioned, start the engine, place in drive, foot firmly on the brake and rev the engine. While you are observing from the side of the car with the help of someone notice if the engine is moving up & down excessively. If you are getting excessive vibration even at idle as you described that’s not normal. Hope this helps..

Old 04-08-2019, 12:39 PM
Helps a bunch.

Ill test that later and report back.

Thak you.

I might also mention that when the car is turned off, I can literally put a little pressure on the engine and wiggle it back and forth and it Teeters slightly. I got in a wreck last year that shifted d entire engine to the right. That probably has something to do with why they're so worn after only 90k miles

Old 04-08-2019, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, if the engine was shifted slightly after your accident that would make suspicious of all the mounts. Good luck .

Old 04-08-2019, 01:40 PM
If the engine starts to move under a load then it's time to replace. So you have something to base your guess on, here's a video of my broken driver's side motor mount, shifting from Park to Drive.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:22 PM
Very helpful!

Thanks!!

I found a whole set of mounts on Amazon for $75. They claim to be OEM but I'm not sure about it. I guess I'll go ahead and gamble on it.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
That’s really cheap for all three mounts. Might want to look around some more, get what you pay for..
Depends on how much longer you are planning on keeping the car and your budget. Check Rock Auto just
as a comparison.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:16 PM
Rock auto has them for $25 a piece, same part numbers.

Thats not nearly as bad as I thought.

Ill probably just go ahead and replace all 3. Now just need to lookup a DIY unless its as easy as jack up engine, remove and replace.

Assuming all i would have to remove is the air box and maybe battery.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Old 04-08-2019, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
Ok sounds like the Amazon mounts might be a good deal after all. I have never replaced the mounts on my 09 Fit, but I have replaced mounts on four Honda’s. Three Accords and one Pilot. Pretty much like what you had mentioned, floor jack under the oil pan with a short length of 2x4 between the jack cup and the pan. Raise jack just enough to take the load off the mounts, Bolts are normally pretty tight, air impact helps but hand tools and breaker bar will get the job done as well.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:48 PM
Awesome.

Amazon Amazon

Theres a link to the mounts. Dunno if theyre the ones I will need or not.

So I jack up the mounts themselves, and not the engine? Im assuming one at a time. I just watched a youtube vid on it where the dude was raising and lowering the actual engine itself.

Thanks so much for your input

Old 04-08-2019, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, it appears that those match just looking at the pictures and fit check confirms that for what that is worth. Five year warranty so give them a shot. One thing I have noticed about some of these after market mounts is the mounting plate thickness is slightly less than OE Honda. I did have a bolt hole fit up issue with one mount that I purchased and had to elongate one mounting hole. Hopefully everything fits good with these.
Yes, just use oil pan as your jack point with a piece of 2x4 in order to cushion the pan. Just do one mount at a time.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:06 PM
Ah ok,

So put the 2x4 inbetween the jack and the oil pan, and jack up the oil pan as my jack point for all mounts.

Sweet. Will give them a shot and will report back after seeing how they fit.

Thanks a lot for your help, good sir.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, you got it. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
You are welcome.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:42 PM
Little Update

Wife got home and when she pulled in the driveway and had her shift gears while I looked at the drivers side mount. Pretty much exactly as the video above shows, maybe a little less. Whenever she shifted from P to D, and then back, the engine shifted id say an inch and a half or so away from me, and then forward.

Im going to order the mounts tomorrow, but for now I got a 5/8 sparkplug socket and used big daddy breaker bar and tightened all of the chassis mounting bolts. I was able to get about a quarter turn out of each one. Hope that at least helps some while I wait on the new mounts.

Ugh

Old 04-09-2019, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ChuckDustin
Very helpful!

Thanks!!

I found a whole set of mounts on Amazon for $75. They claim to be OEM but I'm not sure about it. I guess I'll go ahead and gamble on it.
I just want to make sure you understand that those mounts are aftermarket and not OEM. They are OEM type mounts, but that is NOT the same as OEM. Super low quality Chinese junk can be considered OEM type.

The OEM mounts are darn near $500 for the set of three so I'm not telling you to not buy those cheap ones on Amazon. Just don't want you thinking they are OEM as in made by Honda.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:10 AM
Haha, thanks for looking out.

I assumed they werent from honda just based on the price. I figure id take the gamble since they offer a moneyback guarantee.

If they end up not cutting it, ill have to go through honda. 🤢🤮

Old 04-12-2019, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
Not sure how I missed this thread.
Check out innovativemounts. Itd be stiffer than OEM but seem pretty badass. I've had people chime in previously saying theres fitment issues, but I'm fairly sure theyve revised the mounts since. If i had 300 buckos to spend on mounts.. itd go to something else. But if mounts were needed! They seem nice.
Polyurethane mounts are kiiinda a performance mod. Require occasional lubing to keep quiet but last longer than squishy rubber, not to mention youd get free replacement bushings for as long as innovative stays in business. Cant think of any significant cons. If you do go with oem at some point (i sure wouldnt chance aftermarket since the job isnt fun) do some shopping, check advanceautoparts n rockauto, figure out who makes the oem stuff and order that way, likely save a couple hundred.