2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about ATF Fluid (DW-1)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 01:52 PM
Question about ATF Fluid (DW-1)

Hey all.

Ive been looking through the forums and everyone seems to use the Z1. I bought the DW-1 and was wondering if that is not the correct fluid, or just a newer formula.

I plan on drainin and adding a couple of quarts today, but just wanna make sure the DW-1 is safe to use before I start.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
there should be a section in the back of the manual that has specifications for all the fluids and amounts for the car. check there. other people might be using other types because they have different years/models.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:36 PM
DW1 replaced Z1. Supposedly can be mixed.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:48 PM
Supposedly, eh? Lol

Thanks, man.

Ill give her a shot.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
Bernardi Parts - DW1 and Z1

Reads "ATF DW1 - Automatic transmission Hondas (Replaced Z1)" Yep, DW1 is the stuff.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:35 AM

Dayum
I put a few quarts of it in yesterday oh, and I must say that I'm impressed. Even with only 25% dw1 fluid in there, I noticed an immediate difference as far as smoothness goes in shifting overall.

Last edited by ChuckDustin; 04-11-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:08 PM
Wow, the jar on the right looks like coffee.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
The DW1 is indeed a nice improvement over the Z1

Old 04-11-2019, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
ATF DW1 is indeed Honda's direct replacement for ATF Z1 that was released around 2010 (+/- one year)... I don't care to run it in my personal vehicles though. I'm just not fond of the softer shifts from DW1 so I run AmSoil Signature Series ATF (closer to Z1 but shifts as almost smooth as DW1 but firmer).

From what I've noticed, DW1 is a lower viscosity fluid than Z1 along with doesn't withstand heat as well as Z1... BUT it (DW1) does give smoother shifts, is more consistent throughout its service life and doesn't degrade as badly when nearing the end of its service life or due for replacement compared to Z1.

With that said, if you're situations were you are seeing frequent loads that keep ATF temps fairly high then you may want to consider running say AmSoil Signature Series ATF or Redline ATF? Those fluids have characteristics that are closer to ATF Z1 but can withstand heat better than both Honda fluids (depending on your ATF choices). A lot of people have experimented with Redline & AmSoil ATFs vs OEM Honda fluids in other models in the past, here's a chart that you some of the others may find interesting and helpful.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:18 AM
5 Year Member
Dealer charges ~$100 to drain / refill ~3 qts of DW-1, so rather than do that I buy a 12 pack of DW-1 qts (~$95) and do a nearly complete flush (~95% new fluid) on both our CIVIC and FIT every 30,000 miles.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by Hootie
ATF DW1 is indeed Honda's direct replacement for ATF Z1 that was released around 2010 (+/- one year)... I don't care to run it in my personal vehicles though. I'm just not fond of the softer shifts from DW1 so I run AmSoil Signature Series ATF (closer to Z1 but shifts as almost smooth as DW1 but firmer).

From what I've noticed, DW1 is a lower viscosity fluid than Z1 along with doesn't withstand heat as well as Z1... BUT it (DW1) does give smoother shifts, is more consistent throughout its service life and doesn't degrade as badly when nearing the end of its service life or due for replacement compared to Z1.

With that said, if you're situations were you are seeing frequent loads that keep ATF temps fairly high then you may want to consider running say AmSoil Signature Series ATF or Redline ATF? Those fluids have characteristics that are closer to ATF Z1 but can withstand heat better than both Honda fluids (depending on your ATF choices). A lot of people have experimented with Redline & AmSoil ATFs vs OEM Honda fluids in other models in the past, here's a chart that you some of the others may find interesting and helpful.

Sound like an AmSoil salesman LOL.

Im too pleased with the DW-1 that I just ordered a case and will be doing the honda reccommended "flush" this week.

Definitely may try the AmSoil next go

Old 04-12-2019, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member

This is suppose to be longer lasting . Replaces DW-1 + Z-1 . https://www.idemitsulubricants.com/i...tf/type-h-plus . Can buy for under $8 a quart . Click on BUY NOW to purchase at NAPA , AAP , AUTOZONE or AMAZON . Plan to get this for next ATF drain and fill . Gets many good reviews .

Last edited by Odie; 04-12-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
Spike5, what do you do to dispose? Upfront cost same. Disposal costs are the thing I always forget about, to my detriment.

Irritatingly, my town does not have a waste center or similar ... If you have something to dispose of you find a place yourself that will take it, free or for a price. Kinda stinks...

Old 04-12-2019, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
Pay attention to Hootie's post. A very good friend did a complete fluid change to DW-1 on his older driver/beater Civic only to end up with shift flares and slipping issues.

A change to a Redline fluid that closer matches the specs of his original fluid brought his transmission back from certain death.

Me personally, if I had an older auto vehicle of any make, I would find the fluid that closest matches the original.

These new fluids work great for the newer stuff, but I would not run them in transmissions (or motors for that matter) that weren't designed for them.

Similar to putting 0w-20 in a GD Fit just because it's recommended for new Honda's.

Old 04-13-2019, 12:21 AM
I dunno what all the hype is about.

Dw-1 is the official replacement fluid for vehicles. Has great reviews and doesnt seem to cause any issues.

If your transmission slips after a change, probably had gone too long or had some internal components damaged from excessive heat.

If the fluid itself was the culprit behind transmission slips, I dont think they wouldve replaced the z1 altogether. Its an improvement.

If you know your transmission is beat to hell, then yeah, fluid matters. But if there are no current trans problems and no metal in your fluid, safest route IMO is go DW1, especially since its compatible with the Z1.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
Spike5, what do you do to dispose? Upfront cost same. Disposal costs are the thing I always forget about, to my detriment. Irritatingly, my town does not have a waste center or similar ... If you have something to dispose of you find a place yourself that will take it, free or for a price. Kinda stinks...
A lot of independent car / truck garages have these 'used' oil-fired heaters like those by Clean-burn (Pennsylvania averages 6000 heating degree days / yr). They are always looking for a source of used oil / tranny fluid / bad gasoline mixed in / old parts cleaner fluids (without the sediment). You'll be banned for life if you mix in water / antifreeze. I have 4 x 5 gal buckets with snap-on lids / pour spout that I fill with a big open mouth funnel (oil drain pan can sit in tilted / draining). When all are relatively full, I go visiting to see who will take it. Always free and they are grateful for it. Any volatility issues are minimized when my stuff gets mixed in with their 200-300 gallons already in the tank. Independent truck garages are a good source for the buckets since an 18-wheeler needs 10 - 13 gallons of engine oil, which these guy buy in 5-gal buckets. Commercial garages might have buckets too that contained tranny fluid etc.

I recommend using these when doing energy / environmental audits (kill one and a half birds with one stone - still have some waste just not as big / costly plus they are spending for heat through their utility account) but more effective is a propane / natural gas-fired InfraRed heaters in big open spaces / welding operations (doors are cracked open all of the time - smoke) where any hot air gets blown out when moving work / car / truck in/out of the building. But need a higher ceiling or you'll bake the paint off anything on a lift.

Anyway, look around for a garage that has one one these waste oil heaters. They've got to have them in Mass.

Last edited by spike55_bmw; 04-13-2019 at 06:06 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ChuckDustin
Sound like an AmSoil salesman LOL.

Im too pleased with the DW-1 that I just ordered a case and will be doing the honda reccommended "flush" this week.

Definitely may try the AmSoil next go
Ha! Nah, I'm not AmSoil salesman... Just a guy who autocrosses an automatic Fit Sport and was annoyed with how DW1 doesn't fair too well with Houston heat and those AX events. Did a bit of digging on ATFs, happened to try out AmSoil ATF thanks to my discount at work and ended up liking it.

From what I've seen running their Signature Series ATF after DW1, that the SS ATF is the happy medium of the two fluids... BUT with a higher heat tolerance, firmer shifts at WOT and smooth shifts that are very similar to that of DW1 at light throttle when bumming around town like a semi-civilized driver. There is a low viscosity version that AmSoil offers called "Fuel Efficient" but I have no experience it along with a lower tier of ATFs they offer which gets reffered to as their "OE" series. I'm assuming that this low viscosity formula of AmSoil is likely an alternative to Redline's D6 ATF.

Originally Posted by ChuckDustin
I dunno what all the hype is about.

Dw-1 is the official replacement fluid for vehicles. Has great reviews and doesnt seem to cause any issues.

If your transmission slips after a change, probably had gone too long or had some internal components damaged from excessive heat.

If the fluid itself was the culprit behind transmission slips, I dont think they wouldve replaced the z1 altogether. Its an improvement.

If you know your transmission is beat to hell, then yeah, fluid matters. But if there are no current trans problems and no metal in your fluid, safest route IMO is go DW1, especially since its compatible with the Z1.
With ATF DW1 being a lower viscosity fluid there could be pressure related issues in older, worn transmissions and/or factory filled ATF Z1 transmissions... BUT truth be told, that can only properly be verified by pressure testing a transmission and doing Fluid A vs Fluid B tests

With that said and the keeping a more modern typical daily driver in mind, yes... ATF DW1 is plenty fine for the majority its consumers so long as they stay on top of fluid replacements.

Even with the more recent wave of Hondas that come factory filled with DW1, I've seen first hand on V6 equipped models ranging from 2011 Odyssey and Crosstours to the current second gen Ridgeline having issues with torque converter judder (much like on the Odyssey in the early/mid 2000s when running Z1) due to old fluid that is degrading. Granted... They're usually going beyond a couple of years or 15 to 20k beyond the recommended interval of 2 year or 30k mile interval when this happens.

Side note, on some DW1 filled cars there sometimes isn't a mileage interval for ATF in the maintenance section of the owner's manual. Usually a 2 year interval is recommended if the MMS doesn't prompt the 3 sub-code and sometimes an interval listed for if the vehicle gets flat towed behind a motorhome. In some Z1 filled cars, it is noted to have the initial ATF replacement at 60k miles then every 30k miles afterwards... which is entirely WAY too long for that fluid as well as DW1 in my honest opinion.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
I've been using Amsoil for more than 20 years, with great results (and of course I'm a dealer). I used Amsoil ATF in my Ridgeline, as well as gear oil in the diffs, and it seemed to shift better than with the Honda transmission fluid. Had more than 160k miles on that transmission when I traded it for the '18 Fit EX, with about 60-70k miles of towing my race car, and no problems. Their oils are well engineered, Signature Series is outstanding motor oil. I'm about to change the gearbox oil in the EX (at only 10k miles) to the Amsoil manual transmission fluid, as it is pretty notchy shifting on cold mornings with the OE Honda oil.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
@Hootie Where did that chart come from? It is great info.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:52 AM
currently using valvoline maxlife atf. i use it on odyssey van also.
works pretty good for me and alot cheaper. can do more change for less money.

thanks

Quick Reply: Question about ATF Fluid (DW-1)