2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Cabin air filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
Cabin air filter

Hi everyone. I own a 2013 Honda Fit Base. I wanted to know where I could purchase an inexpensive cabin air filter? Thank you

Old 06-27-2019, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member
Buy a high quality cabin air filter. There is much more material on it so it lasts much longer so is not much more expensive in the long run.

A clogged cabin air filter can cause the fan motor to heat up and kill the resistor pack (and maybe the motor also). Those are rather expensive parts and the Fit has a history of blowing them.

So with some cars, a cheap cabin air filter is fine but those are false economies with the Fit.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
I use this one. I change it once a year. Filter looks great every time I remove it, with typical debris and no clogs.

https://www.amazon.com/ECOGARD-XC36080-Premium-Filter-Insight/dp/B00I8IU150/ https://www.amazon.com/ECOGARD-XC36080-Premium-Filter-Insight/dp/B00I8IU150/

Old 06-27-2019, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
Cabin filter

Thanks for the recommendation for Amazon cabin filter.I watched a YouTube video and it took the man about 25 seconds to remove and replace the cabin air filter

Old 06-27-2019, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pablolo
Thanks for the recommendation for Amazon cabin filter.I watched a YouTube video and it took the man about 25 seconds to remove and replace the cabin air filter
Yes. It’s very easy to swap out.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:15 PM
that ecoguard is not bad at all. pretty decently priced. i was looking at K & N cabin filters, but they cost upwards of $45... i dunno what they put it in their filters..

Old 06-27-2019, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member

I think I need some 'area denial' spikes on my cabin air filters to keep the mice off of them.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:27 PM
o.O how does that happen?

Old 07-12-2019, 02:02 PM
That's wild! A rodent problem in a Fit.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
I think I agree with the philosophy of not going too cheap on the Cabin Air Filter.
And the way I look at it, if you buy one yourself...online or at a auto parts store, even if you pay a little more, for a higher quality filter, and you install it yourself (easy), it's going to be a whole lot cheaper than a dealership doing it.

So I would look to buy a better quality filter, then just replace it yourself. It's not going to cost you too much. It's filtering the air you breath in the cabin. I think it's worth it.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
I own both a K&N re usable / washable cabin air filter, and also a ECOGARD XC36080

Every 12k I wash the k&N, and while its out drying I use the ecogard one as a one day stand in

The K&N was not cheap, but so far, I've already gotten 3 life cycles out of it, and once I wash/re use it a 4th time, it will pay for itself. by the time I hit 120k, thats 10 uses out of this thing .... and imo makes it worth every penny.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
I own both a K&N re usable / washable cabin air filter, and also a ECOGARD XC36080

Every 12k I wash the k&N, and while its out drying I use the ecogard one as a one day stand in

The K&N was not cheap, but so far, I've already gotten 3 life cycles out of it, and once I wash/re use it a 4th time, it will pay for itself. by the time I hit 120k, thats 10 uses out of this thing .... and imo makes it worth every penny.

OH its washable? hmm interesting ...i might actually try getting K&N next time

Old 07-13-2019, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
I also have the K&N cabin filter (as well as the K&N air filter). So far so good! (4th wash)

Old 07-14-2019, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member
I say just buy a NEW filter.- New is new.
I don't personally believe the concept that something that is being washed, the rewashed, washed again...doesn't deteriorate.

If it takes 4 cycles or more just to recover the cost of initial investment? That ain't worth it to me.
I feel better just treating the cabin air filter as a non-permanent, replaceable part. Feel better just installing a brand new, clean, NEVER washed and reused filter.

But to each their own.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
Washable filter seems like a good plan.

Good way to reduce waste in a world in which people think throwing everything away is totally okay...maybe if you're old & don't care for your grandkids.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by fitchet
I say just buy a NEW filter.- New is new.
I don't personally believe the concept that something that is being washed, the rewashed, washed again...doesn't deteriorate.

If it takes 4 cycles or more just to recover the cost of initial investment? That ain't worth it to me.
I feel better just treating the cabin air filter as a non-permanent, replaceable part. Feel better just installing a brand new, clean, NEVER washed and reused filter.

But to each their own.
How many cycles would you consider fair to recover the cost of initial investment? It's kind of nice knowing your filter is good for pretty much the lifetime of the car. I run a K&N drop-in air filter in my car and have zero issues.; just remove it every 10,000 miles and give it a clean and we're good to go again. I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't be able to discern a difference between a reused filter and a new one.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:25 PM
Does this washable air filter have to get cleaned and re-oiled? Not sure if that's better for the environment than throwing a replaceable one out and using a new one.
FYI even the replaceable ones can be taken out, banged a bit to dump dust off them, then replaced, until they fully need replacing.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:42 AM
5 Year Member
I bang mine out to clean until there's too much rat piss on them. Gross Then I'll change it out for another replaceable. BTW, I had a 'trap line' set up, plus electronic mouse repellent devices plugged into all four corners of the garage, so not 'wishing' the problem would go away, but it's on-going. I should make gloves out of each year's trappings

Old 07-15-2019, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
Does this washable air filter have to get cleaned and re-oiled? Not sure if that's better for the environment than throwing a replaceable one out and using a new one.
FYI even the replaceable ones can be taken out, banged a bit to dump dust off them, then replaced, until they fully need replacing.

you're not sure if rinsing it with a little water, (maybe some soap?) and a light coat of oil is better for then environment than whatever results from the manufacturing plant, shipping, packaging, retail store, driving to and from the store to buy it, and then throwing the old one (and the packaging from the new one) into a landfill, or incinerator?

Old 07-15-2019, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by punx45
you're not sure if rinsing it with a little water, (maybe some soap?) and a light coat of oil is better for then environment than whatever results from the manufacturing plant, shipping, packaging, retail store, driving to and from the store to buy it, and then throwing the old one (and the packaging from the new one) into a landfill, or incinerator?
Yeah, exactly. Especially if you also have a K&N drop-in engine filter and can wash that as well. Those kits last a LONG time.

Quick Reply: Cabin air filter