2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Cabin air filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
I buy a TYC brand one from Amazon and it's less than $5. I'd have to buy them at least 8x to break even compared to buying a re-usable K&N. I bang them out to clean them periodically and replace them around every 15-20k. So I don't think it's worth it for me to use a re-usable one.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by mike410b
Yeah, exactly. Especially if you also have a K&N drop-in engine filter and can wash that as well. Those kits last a LONG time.
I'm running one of those at the moment. I prefer them because I can frequently clean them instead of frequently replacing my filters with non-reusable filters.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
I suppose I can't ultimately win the "ecological" argument if that's the card one wants to play.
But environmental idealism aside, I still like the idea of treating the cabin air filter as a non-permanent replaceable product. Given the rate of my replacement...I've only replaced once in 3 years, you'll excuse The Lorax and myself if I risk the devastating affects to planet earth- of simply replacing the air filter.

With the exception of the plastic casing, my guess is filter material, including the box it comes in, is all very biodegradable.
I don't think my decision to replace the filter as needed...with a new filter is going to be the tipping point for planet earth.
I don't think K&N filter users are saving the planet to any appreciable degree.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
I suppose I can't ultimately win the "ecological" argument if that's the card one wants to play.
But environmental idealism aside, I still like the idea of treating the cabin air filter as a non-permanent replaceable product. Given the rate of my replacement...I've only replaced once in 3 years, you'll excuse The Lorax and myself if I risk the devastating affects to planet earth- of simply replacing the air filter.

With the exception of the plastic casing, my guess is filter material, including the box it comes in, is all very biodegradable.
I don't think my decision to replace the filter as needed...with a new filter is going to be the tipping point for planet earth.
I don't think K&N filter users are saving the planet to any appreciable degree.
It isn't idealism, it is pragmatism. You're just looking to excuse your wasteful behavior.

Old 07-16-2019, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
jokes aside .... those cheap throw away ones should be fine

I simply prefer the k&n ones because I feel that over the life span of the car, I would end up spending less. I guess saving the planet is a bonus (disclaimer, I totally dont care about mother earth because my other car is missing 1 catalytic converter! moo ha ha)

Old 07-16-2019, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
disclaimer, I totally dont care about mother earth because my other car is missing 1 catalytic converter! moo ha ha

I'll be high flow cat soon. So that means I do kinda care.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
jokes aside .... those cheap throw away ones should be fine

I simply prefer the k&n ones because I feel that over the life span of the car, I would end up spending less. I guess saving the planet is a bonus (disclaimer, I totally dont care about mother earth because my other car is missing 1 catalytic converter! moo ha ha)
I have a high flow cat on my S2000, but I wouldn't be surprised if my high flow is doing the same job my 19 year old original cat with 150k miles was. Also that car is a proper sports car, removing a cat on an otherwise stock/near stock Fit is a pet peeve of mine lol.

For hobbies I can understand being a little wasteful, but doing something wasteful just out of laziness is big frustrating IMO. Most people just coast through life paying no attention to what they're doing, that's wack.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:19 PM
Where is the cabin air filter on my GE8 09 sport 5mt? Imma replace that fucker. As much blunt smoke has gone through it, its gotta be shot, especially being at least 2 years old.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
Behind your glove box, it is in your owner's manual & many threads on here.

Also, maybe don't brag about illegal activity & driving under the influence. It isn't cool.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GolNat

I'll be high flow cat soon. So that means I do kinda care.
I have a high flow cat on my S2000, but I wouldn't be surprised if my high flow is doing the same job my 19 year old original cat with 150k miles was. Also that car is a proper sports car, removing a cat on an otherwise stock/near stock Fit is a pet peeve of mine lol.

the crazy part is, an oem 2005 subaru sti comes with 2 cats... yet the same exact model year wrx has a 3rd cat in the up pipe / pre turbo .... go figure

when swapping my wrx turbo for an sti one, same time, I installed a free sti up pipe, which was in essence my "cat delete". but hey, it looks oem! moo ha ha

Old 07-18-2019, 05:00 PM
how abt no air filter for stronger air flow ?! (mind blown)

Old 07-18-2019, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by silverrose12
how abt no air filter for stronger air flow ?! (mind blown)
What I’ve read on the forum this isn’t a good idea. The cabin filter catches a lot of junk, that could eventually clog up the evaporator core.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by 2012FitFan
What I’ve read on the forum this isn’t a good idea. The cabin filter catches a lot of junk, that could eventually clog up the evaporator core.

hehe i was just kidding; i think for daily driving, it SHOULD NOT BE DONE !

Old 07-18-2019, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
You guys know cabin air filters were like a must have feature back when they came mainstream in like .... I dunno .. 2001? Whatever. Anyway the cheapest option is to skip it, like those bozos driving an 89 Buick Century (I know nothing about this ) Before that you breathed whatever the 17-wheeler in front of you was putting out. After, you still breathed it, but it smelled better because you have a filter.

If you're asking what is the cheapest option that works just as well as the Honda option, the answer is, the Honda option. I'm thinking you're seeing there is a spectrum here...

Last edited by fujisawa; 07-18-2019 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:49 AM
5 Year Member
It isn't idealism, it is pragmatism. You're just looking to excuse your wasteful behavior.
No, I just want NEW filter when it comes to filtering the air I'm breathing, instead of washing and oiling a "supposedly" re-usable filter.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
No, I just want NEW filter when it comes to filtering the air I'm breathing, instead of washing and oiling a "supposedly" re-usable filter.
You know more about filtering air than K&N.

hahahahaha

Old 07-19-2019, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
Or...

You know more about filtering air than K&N.

hahahahaha
OR I know as much about filtering as EVERY SINGLE OTHER MANUFACTURER THAT MAKES DISPOSABLE AND REPLACEABLE FILTERS.

hahahahaha....

Those K&N purchasers and users are never going to agree. I mean if you plunked down money buying into the product, I guess it comes with the directive that you must believe washing something and reusing it, doesn't come with a degree of deterioration. I'm sure K&N have tested their product. I'm sure they are viable for a very long period of time if properly maintained.
And I actually think K&N filters are probably fine.
But how much more ecologically friendly is a product that recommends the purchase and additional use of a cleaning kit, with two products (chemicals) in plastic bottles? Spray on cleaner, Spray on "Oil"......not worth it to me.
But again, as far as breathing clean air, and convenience?
I'm still for routinely buying a NEW filter (psst...they aren't expensive)....and enjoying the convenience and peace of mind that comes with knowing the filter I installed is brand new.

But you just keep using the non-disposable cleaning kit and enjoying the same filter over and over and over.
And after 1/2 a dozen cycles....you might break even.

Old 07-20-2019, 01:16 PM

After 2 years. Was definitely time to replace!