2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to check timing on 2010 honda fit sport?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 10:42 PM
How to check timing on 2010 honda fit sport?

Hello,
I am looking for information on how to check the timing on a 2010 honda fit sport. I can't find anything on the internet and a search of these forums comes up empty for me, so I'm at a loss.

I know how to check the timing on vehicles generally, I just can't figure out where the marks are on this car. I've been searching the engine bay for hours and I can't see anything that looks like timing marks.

Also, is there anything specific about this car that differs from other vehicles?

Thanks!

Old 10-19-2019, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jbwaller
Hello,
I am looking for information on how to check the timing on a 2010 honda fit sport. I can't find anything on the internet and a search of these forums comes up empty for me, so I'm at a loss.

I know how to check the timing on vehicles generally, I just can't figure out where the marks are on this car. I've been searching the engine bay for hours and I can't see anything that looks like timing marks.

Also, is there anything specific about this car that differs from other vehicles?

Thanks!
Well, the Fit uses a timing CHAIN that's covered, you wouldn't see much of anything unless you take the engine apart. Its unlikely to need adjusting, short of someone taking it apart and then putting it back together in the wrong position.

The belt you see on the outside is an accessory belt to drive the few bits that don't care about timing.

Old 10-19-2019, 03:43 PM
OK, thanks. I would think that they would give some way to check the timing (although not necessarily adjust it) without taking the engine apart, just as a way to rule other things out.

For example, I currently just lost compression in all 4 of my cylinders. A quick timing check could rule a lot of things out (if the timing is off) or give me a lot more information about where to start looking (if the timing is on).

So taking adjusting off the table, is there any way to just check the timing? Or, I mostly just want to see if my valves are all closed at TDC, is there some other way to check this or get a sense of what's going on?

thanks!!

Old 10-19-2019, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
Unless you remove the timing covers you won't see any marks. Most Honda's have a mark on the crank pulley.

It has a chain though so unless someone messed with it there should be no timing issues.

Old 10-19-2019, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
This is a 1.4 bus should be similar.Have to pull the covers.

Old 10-19-2019, 03:53 PM
hm yeah that makes sense, I just wanted a quick way to rule out the timing having jumped a few teeth as a reason for the zero compression. It's basically the only reason I can think of that would make all of the cylinders suddenly and uniformly drop down to absolutely no compression whatsoever. So you're saying that this fit does or does not have timing marks on the crank that I can use to verify the timing?

thanks!

Old 10-19-2019, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
I am just going off of what I find. Don;t have personal experience with checking it on a Fit.

Ignition Timing Inspection (L15A)

Old 10-19-2019, 04:10 PM
Thanks. Yeah, I figured it should be something like this, but I don't see any marks on mine. thanks!!

Old 10-20-2019, 04:25 AM
5 Year Member
That PDF refers to both a Std and a CVT trannys. the 2010 has an auto or a std not a CVT so maybe marks are not visible.

Old 10-21-2019, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member
Our Fit engines are basically timed during the engine assembly process as shown in post #5 on this thread. The crank position and cam position relationship are kept in time by the timing chain. To align the correct relationship between the cam and crank for timing purposes, the process is explained in detail in the factory Honda Fit assembly/ repair manual in chapter 6- which is devoted to the head on the engine. After our engines are fired, the computer controls the timing.

In earlier engines that you have checked the timing on, those engines probably had distributors in them, and timing was adjusted by loosening the distributor and turning the distributor body slightly to correct the timing. There were timing marks visible on the harmonic balancer and a timing tab affixed to the timing chain cover, and you could adjust the initial timing manually by using a timing light on #1 cylinder. Our Fit engines do not have a distributor, and manual adjustments are not made like earlier distributor engines.

A description of what your engine was doing prior to your problem, what you've done so far to diagnose the problem, and those results, would help us make suggestions to help you diagnose your problem.