2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wont start, wont shift, Key stuck, Im stuck! plz help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 01:10 AM
Angry Wont start, wont shift, Key stuck, Im stuck! plz help!

Hey everyone! I'm new here so i hope im posting this in the right section. Recently I purchased a used 2010 Honda Fit (sport auto) with 69k miles on it. Im currently at 75k and ive had a bit of a mishap.

While driving home yesterday my car died. I dont know if it is transmission, driveline, electronic, or engine related. Here is what happened:
I was at a stoplight, facing uphill, and the road had some water on it (broken sprinkler or something, but the whole road was wet). When the light turned green I pressed the throttle (maybe 25%), and the wheels slipped as I loss traction. I let off to gain traction (without braking) and when I pressed the throttle again the revs shot up and the car shut off. There was a fairly loud clunk as it happened. I didnt get half way through the intersection. I pressed the brakes, turned the key, then put it in park. I went to start the car and nothing. I dont hear the starter motor and the engine doesnt turn, just nothing. I went to take the key out and it is stuck in the ignition. I tried to put it in neutral and it wont let me shift. I ended up manually shifting into neautral by pushing down on that button under the little cover on the shifter. When I do that the car lets me shift between gears but doesnt feel like it is engaging (almost like the shift detentes are bad), it just feels spongey. I can also go from neutral to drive, back to neutral, without pressing the button that allows me to shift out of park. The only way to remove the key is by disconnecting the battery. I towed the car from here.

When I looked under the car after getting home, the lower engine mount it broken in half. I also discovered a slight tear in the passengerside axle boot, and the outer cv joint may be bad but i am not sure. Also, while the front end of the car is jacked up, If either the driverside or passengerside wheel is spun by hand, the other one will spin as well. Unfortunately I disconnected the battery that first night to get my key out of the ignition, so there are no codes when i plug the scanner in. I am really at a loss, and am not sure what to do. I am a seasoned at home mechanic, so i plan on doing most if not all of the work myself, but being i dont do this for a living i dont know where to start for diagnosis. Also, both the engine oil and transmission fluid look clean. Taking any and all suggestions!! thank you!

Lower engine mount

Old 11-02-2019, 04:41 AM
5 Year Member
Sounds like the clunk was the mount letting go. But why the electronics all quit at same time is puzzling. Would the slight movement of the motor as the mount broke maybe loosened an electrical connection somewhere?

I guess a start will be to replace the mount.

Good lck and let us know once you get it running again.

Old 11-02-2019, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
That is very odd for the electronics to stop working. Something must have disconnected. Maybe try to disconnect the battery and do a reset.

If the wheel was hopping when you broke traction that can put a lot of stress on the mount.

Old 11-02-2019, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the input guys! As for the electronics, with the key in the ignition the dash and gauges still light up, and the radio turns on. Lights all still work as well, so its not like all electronic systems are down. I don't recall if i could hear the fuel pump priming though, ill check that next time I get a chance though.

Also we suspected that something disconnected as well, but I havent had the time to check. Maybe it is just the starter cables. Ill give it a walk through and check fuses next time I look at it.

What are the odds that the CVT is bad? When I look up "Honda Fit bad transmission" nothing comes up, lol. It seems like that just doesnt happen with these cars. The only thing I found is that people have issues with water collecting by the harmonic balancer on the axles, and rust eating away at it causing the axles to snap.

Old 11-03-2019, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
This generation of Fit does not have a CVT , it’s just a conventional automatic transmission.

Old 11-21-2019, 07:46 AM
Won’t shift

This sounds like the interlink which is a electrical device. This is deemed to be working when you press the brake with the ignition on you should hear a click in front of the auto selector, this releases a solenoid. This then enables you to put it in drive etc. If this fails it will stop you removing the key( to test this on a working vehicle turn ignition off in drive, try and remove the key, it won’t let you. Press the brake put it in park and it will let you.
Ben

Last edited by Brendan976; 11-21-2019 at 08:00 AM.