3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Intermittent starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 09:22 PM
Intermittent starting problem

Yo.

Intermittent starting issue here with a 2015 Honda Fit EX that I bought new in Nov 2014. 45k miles. I’d appreciated your expertise.

A few weeks ago I began having subtle starting issues.

A few times I noticed that it was a ‘weak’ start. Or I’d have to turn the key twice to start. It was subtle enough so I wasn’t sure if I just didn’t turn the key all the way.

Then about a week ago it got worse in a step change. It wouldn’t start when I got out from having dinner in a restaurant. I push started it and went home.

The not-starting behavior is as follows:
When I turn the key it makes a single click but does not turn over.

It jumpstarts just fine and I have no problems while driving. No dimming lights, no radio issues.

Sometimes, usually after the car has been sitting for a while like in the morning, it starts just fine then it won’t start again. Usually at the end of the work day it will start by itself.

I had had the battery tested and hey said it was fine but needed charging. No big, I live in the desert and have been abusing my air conditioning while idling on my lunch breaks for months.

I charged it, and that gave more oomph when it started, but did nothing to change the not starting thing.

One thing has been fairly consistent and that is the readings in this voltmeter/battery meter I have had plugged into the cigarette lighter. It varies, seemingly randomly, between 12V and red light showing battery as empty, to green light at 13-14V and showing the battery at half charge. I’ve never used one of these before and tbh don’t know how to interpret it.

I tried cleaning battery terminals and that didn’t do anything.

Today I replaced the battery and though it started up just fine, as I was driving home the battery monitor went to red, then back to green, then by the time I got home it was red again. Parked, turned off the car, and it wouldn’t start. I turned the key a few more times and on the fourth try it started.

What does it it sound like is going on?

I am afraid to take it in to the dealer because I have no idea what they will charge to diagnose it or how much it will be. Is there a way I can diagnose what’s going on before taking it in?

Last edited by Lenae; 08-28-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:47 PM
Hi Lenae,
The whole time I was reading your post, I was thinking this sounds like a dirty battery terminal. I had a very similar experience with my old Tiburon. I see that you have cleaned yours, but I bet it is something along these lines.I read a post yesterday (I don't remember which one) where the guy cut the insulation on his battery cable and found the cable was corroded an inch or two from the terminal. New battery cables would be much cheaper than going to the dealer. Best of luck!

Last edited by joneill4; 08-29-2018 at 05:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-29-2018, 05:51 PM
Did you check the other ends of your battery cables?

Old 08-30-2018, 05:57 AM
5 Year Member
the whole time I read this posting I kept seeing symptoms that said a weak battery. My suggestion was going to be replace the battery. You did that on your own.

Now the question is what you are seeing on that battery monitor. I can not work with colored lights but if there are numbers assigned to those light then maybe we can tell something. Also Honda has something called Electric Load Detection. Basically they dial back the voltage as the battery is charged and when the load is low. This normal operation might be what you are seeing on that monitor.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:56 AM
Im going to parrot the battery as well.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:17 AM
5 Year Member
I've read on the forums about starter failures that sound similar. The gear will be in a place where the teeth are worn so when trying to start, it seems to do nothing. After a few tries, it lands in a place with good condition teeth and it starts. At first it's just here or there but seems to get worse over time. They had to replace the starter. Here are some threads:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...g-problem.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ont-start.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...2015-ex-l.html

Old 08-30-2018, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
2Rismo2 is right. The starter motor sees such light duty that it should last forever. Unfortunately problems are turning up in the Fit starter motors as described in posts. First guess would have been the battery but you've replaced that. Starter is the only obvious thing left.

And don't forget this thread:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...placement.html

Yeah, seems to be an increasing number of reports of problems with the starter.

Last edited by woof; 08-30-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
I've read on the forums about starter failures that sound similar. The gear will be in a place where the teeth are worn so when trying to start, it seems to do nothing. After a few tries, it lands in a place with good condition teeth and it starts. At first it's just here or there but seems to get worse over time. They had to replace the starter. Here are some threads:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...g-problem.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ont-start.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...2015-ex-l.html
Well, according to the service tech who diagnosed mine it wasn’t gear wear but a “dead” spot on the commutator. If the starter stops with the motor brushes on the bad spot, the motor won’t work. With repeated tries eventually the solenoid will nudge the armature enough to allow the brushes to make contact on a good spot.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
there was a SIMILAR issue on this forum recently and the main harness (by battery?) was not plugged in correctly.