2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The plug from hell!!! How do I undo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 05:12 PM
The plug from hell!!! How do I undo?

There is a plug on the main wiring harness which will not fully disconnect for me. I have tried everything I can think of to no avail. It is the one with exposed wires directly right of the master cylinder.

Old 07-19-2020, 01:59 AM
5 Year Member
I got these pliers from frankstools. They dont work everywhere but they sure do help in a pinch
.... with a pinch.
Mine are red handles though, not sure if theres any variation in models. Had exchangable tips but the ones shown in the link are all i really use.

Old 07-19-2020, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pyts
I got these pliers from frankstools. They dont work everywhere but they sure do help in a pinch
.... with a pinch.
Mine are red handles though, not sure if theres any variation in models. Had exchangable tips but the ones shown in the link are all i really use.

Wish I'd known about this sooner.

Old 07-19-2020, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
Wish I'd known about this sooner.
I've tried spreading the word about the tools on there theres a few seriously helpful ones!
I've been finding more and more uses for these. Like hard to grab injector plugs and so on. The jaws can only open so far, so on larger connectors I might grip one tab and some plastic body of the thing and apply the wiggle strategy. The teeth on them do work quite well for the little grip serrations on tabs.

Old 07-20-2020, 02:53 AM
@Lancasterfitowner Sorry to hear that. The only advice I can give is maybe try spraying some WD-40 on it.

Last edited by StGemma; 07-20-2020 at 02:57 AM.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:29 AM
I actually had a friend come over who has much stronger fingers than I. we still did spray it with some WD-40 but it did come out for him but wouldn't come out for me. I've noticed many of these plastic connectors on the engine and transmission are hard to undo as well as the one for the air conditioner hooked up to the condenser.

Old 07-20-2020, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
I feel for you. Used to work on Abrams tanks for the Corps and there was nothing quick about the quick disconnects, hydraulic or electric. Glad you got it solved. Should probably blow the WD40 out of the connector with contact cleaner before reinstall, but I suspect you know what to do.

Old 07-20-2020, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lancasterfitowner
I actually had a friend come over who has much stronger fingers than I. we still did spray it with some WD-40 but it did come out for him but wouldn't come out for me. I've noticed many of these plastic connectors on the engine and transmission are hard to undo as well as the one for the air conditioner hooked up to the condenser.
I've had the same experience. I just kept trying until I was nearly in tears. Then, somehow, the plugs came out.

Old 07-20-2020, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pyts
I've tried spreading the word about the tools on there theres a few seriously helpful ones!
I've been finding more and more uses for these. Like hard to grab injector plugs and so on. The jaws can only open so far, so on larger connectors I might grip one tab and some plastic body of the thing and apply the wiggle strategy. The teeth on them do work quite well for the little grip serrations on tabs.
I called them today. The call got cycled to an answering service thingy. Have you contacted them recently?

Old 07-21-2020, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
I called them today. The call got cycled to an answering service thingy. Have you contacted them recently?
The shop is run by (to my knowledge) one retired Master Sergeant from the Army. He's good about responding to emails. I haven't found any recent information about his business changing or any emergencies, but I've had no issues with his shipping orders so long as the address is correct (although contact has been minimal).

I reached out to Merry Tools in Japan today via email to inquire about small orders from the U.S. and will let you know when they reply.