2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How complicated are shock and sway bar end replacements?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 04:26 PM
How complicated are shock and sway bar end replacements?

I just got my drive shaft recall done on my '09, and the dealer advised replacing the the front sway bar end links (loose/clunky) and the rear shocks (one is leaking "badly"). I'd noticed some unusual behavior the last couples weeks on certain turns and road conditions, so it doesn't surprise me.

What I'm wondering is the feasibility of doing these myself. I've replaced rotors and calipers, and done some exhaust work, but I don't have impact tools and dealing with small rusted bolts is not something I have time for in my life right now. I'm hoping someone can tell me if these are complicated tasks (removing other parts just to get to them, for instance) and if they are mostly larger bolts (I feel like they might be since it's the suspension?) that I have to worry less about shearing off.
But I'm also thinking shocks might be best left to professionals due to dealing with compression forces and not having equipment to do it safely?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
Rear shocks are pretty straightforward on these cars. See this YouTube video. I replaced the shocks on my 09 a couple of years ago using that video as a reference.
The end links can be a pain if there is heavy rust involved. Never had to deal with that yet on my Fit with about 175K miles. Live in the South so road salt is not an issue in my area compared to Wisconsin. Perhaps someone can reply who has actually done this.
Found this DIY for the sway bar links, you be the judge if you decide to do this.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...eplacment.html

Last edited by fit09; 03-17-2021 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-18-2021, 06:33 AM
5 Year Member
For endlinks, the best is to use a visegrip and an impact to loosen the bolts, if they are badly corroded. If you don't have an impact, you might have to cut them to remove them.

Installation of new endlinks is super easy.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:14 PM
Hmm, thanks both of you. Looks like I might be able to tackle this myself!