2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Longer crank and strange starting symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 10:48 AM
Longer crank and strange starting symptoms

For the last month or so, I've noticed that when I turn on my 2013 Fit Base first thing in the morning (or after it's been sitting for 12+ hours) the crank takes about 2-3 times longer than usual before the engine turns over. I didn't think much of it because even the "longer" crank is barely two seconds and the car has performed fine otherwise. If the car has been used more recently and I turn it on, the crank is shorter, as usual.

However, yesterday morning, something weird happened. The car has been sitting for about 12 hours. I turn it on. Longer crank, engine turns over, and then...the car stalls. Immediately, I try turning on the car again and this time it's fine. Shorter crank, engine turns over, and the car doesn't die. My ABS light illuminated, which puzzled me, but as soon as I started driving, it turned off and didn't come back on. I drove for about 30 minutes, stopped to run an errand, and when I came back out and turned on the car....shorter crank, but it stalled again. (No ABS light this time.) I turned the car on again, no problems this time, and for the rest of the day, the car was perfectly normal and reliable, including when I restarted it several times.

I got the battery and alternator checked and both are performing well. My initial hunch was that the car might be losing fuel pressure while sitting for long periods of time. I've also heard some talk about stuff like this happening to Fit users during the transition from winter to summer gasoline blends. (I bought the car last summer, so I've never experienced that transition before.) But the recent hiccups and the ABS light thing have me wondering if there could be an electrical issue. In any event, I'm going to get the car looked at, but I'm wondering if anyone here has dealt with anything like this before.

Old 07-09-2021, 05:42 PM
This has been happening to my fit. My ABS light has not come on and it hasn't stalled. Did you get your car looked at and what did they say?