2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Fit low whistle over 75mph

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 08:47 PM
Exclamation 2013 Fit low whistle over 75mph

Imagine the sound of blowing on those stoneware jugs but non-stop. Sounds like its coming from under the hood (maybe) but I can't isolate it. Starts at 70-ish mph but always by 80mph. Stops if I get in "dirty air" behind a large vehicle, but starts up again immediately if I move over and am in "clean" air again. Thought it was the missing Washer Fluid Reservoir cap but replaced that and the sound is still there. Thought it was wind flow over the windshield since the low pitch of the whistle makes it more difficult to pinpoint, but it continued no matter whether I have the wiper blades moving or not. Only thing I can do to affect it is to slow down below 65mph. Starts at 70 but continues even as I slow down to 65. Wont start again until I get over 70. Sometimes it takes until 75 or 80, but will always continue after I decelerate from those speeds to below 65, then stops. Also slightly changes pitch if I use the windshield washer fluid. Checked under the front bumper and a couple of the push-in connectors that hold the bumper to the frame were missing so I replaced those with no change. Tires have been regularly rotated and I'm skeptical that they are to blame since the "clean/dirty" air affects it immediately. I'll try to get someone to ride with me this week to record an audio of the sound if possible.

Addendum: I've also checked the air vents for a/c - does it at any fanspeed setting, a/c on or off, and any set of vents - i've literally tried every iteration possible of this option.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
what about the splash guard and the rubber intake duct thats affixed to the hood? Also.. tires? Tires with lots of radial grooves can drone, moreso as the tread wears down and the air is forced through tighter passages. I'd recommend making a check-list on a nice big notepad. the drone isn't inherent to the vehicle so i'd assume that a part fastened down properly could be checked off

Old 09-10-2021, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by Pyts
what about the splash guard and the rubber intake duct thats affixed to the hood? Also.. tires? Tires with lots of radial grooves can drone, moreso as the tread wears down and the air is forced through tighter passages. I'd recommend making a check-list on a nice big notepad. the drone isn't inherent to the vehicle so i'd assume that a part fastened down properly could be checked off
All the parts are fastened that I can find. Two clips were missing from the rubber air dam attached to the hood. Those have been replaced. The rubber piece under the front bumper was missing one. Replaced it. Two were missing from the bumper where it attaches to the metal frame under the front. Also replaced. No visible holes or parts missing in the wheel wells, tires have about 12k miles on them, it was doing this before they were replaced, which was one of my initial thoughts about what was causing it thus they were replaced. That did nothing to help either. How's that for a list on my "nice big notepad"?

I've checked the obvious. I came here for thoughts about the not so obvious and to see if anyone else had the same random experience.

Old 09-10-2021, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
transmission internals, cv shafts, wheels, wheel bearings, rotors, suspension (though I don't think it'd howl). Besides that, I think it's just air that has movement relative to vehicle speed.
Your remark about tailing a large truck, that doing so stops the noise, strongly enforces the idea that your problem is air. Maybe the seal around your windshield has deteriorated, but then you'd notice condensation on the windshield at times, froggy smell in the cab after sitting overnight. Maybe your windows aren't going up all the way due to dirt or seal degradation/worn window motor rail allowing them to pitch to the side. but that doesn't fit with your sound origin. Good luck to yuh!

Old 09-14-2021, 09:23 PM
In case anyone else stumbles upon this, I'm back to report I found the problem. (my biggest pet peeve is when I see someone with exactly my problem but no one ever posts the solution!) I finally tracked the problem down to coming from the top of the windshield. The seal at the top was the culprit. The top layer was peeling back. Temporary fix until I get to the shop: Black Duck(r) tape across it for now. Will have it to the shop when I change the oil and see what they say it'll cost to fix.
Hope this helps someone else in the future - and thank you to Pyts for the thoughts about possible problems. I can drive again without the howl!

Old 09-16-2021, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
I have never had that problem. BUT - have replaced 3 windshields cuz of rock damage and #4 has a "star crack" right now. I really think the shape of the windshield attracts rocks & what have you. Especially notice this on the roads. We travel a lot in Arizona & that's where we seem to pick up the cracks.

Old 09-16-2021, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
you can pick up a well designed hood deflector from a company called formfit. I've had one on my Fit for several years, and it seems to be quite effective at deflecting small stuff up and over the windshield. I know front end geometry on a good deal of vehicles (pick-ups for example) prevents a thing like this from protecting anything but the hood edge, actually deflecting stuff up into the windshield. With this one on this car I've noticed on multiple occasions that things wiz by just an inch above the glass.

Here's a link if you're interested. I'm not affiliated, I just like their product.

Old 01-22-2022, 08:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by PharmaGamer
In case anyone else stumbles upon this, I'm back to report I found the problem. (my biggest pet peeve is when I see someone with exactly my problem but no one ever posts the solution!) I finally tracked the problem down to coming from the top of the windshield. The seal at the top was the culprit. The top layer was peeling back. Temporary fix until I get to the shop: Black Duck(r) tape across it for now. Will have it to the shop when I change the oil and see what they say it'll cost to fix.
Hope this helps someone else in the future - and thank you to Pyts for the thoughts about possible problems. I can drive again without the howl!
Was So glad to stumble on this thread after many years- but excitement turned to frustration have a ‘07 model- had the exact same issue a few years back- started down the road of taping up all possible things- checking all the obvious ones (clips, bumper stop levels, etc) could never solve it- but eventually did something simple- the problem
went away! It came back about 2 years ago (the misses drives it 99% of the time) and for the life of me cannot remember what it was- just that it was something simple like new wipers, wheel rotation or even the little Ariel that wasnt screwed in.

I thought this answer pointing to top windshield rubber could be it! .. but turned out not in my case. I removed wipers, taped up most openings bit by bit to find “the one”- couldn’t get to the bottom of it.

Memory might be wrong, but I vaguely remember windshield being replaced a few years back for a crack - could it be they didnt fit it properly?

any additional ideas would be great! Seems it’s an issue plaguing different models for years now.