Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Windshield washer fluid not pumping

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 02:03 PM
Windshield washer fluid not pumping

First, I've done a bit of searching and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for, so mea culpa if this is a super-common problem and I should know better. I have a 2013 Fit.

The rear window washer squirts like a champ, but I get nothing on the front window. The pump does makes a sound . . .

So my first question is, is there only one pump for both windows?

I suppose I should first check for pinched lines and clogged nozzle heads.

Anything else to be aware of?

BTW, this is my first ever mechanical problem after 11 months of ownership. Of course, having only driven 5200 miles might have something to do with it. I haven't even done my first oil change yet (currently @ 20%)!

Thanks!

Old 11-25-2014, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not sure, but there could be two pumps...I know there is only one fluid tank. I had a situation where my Chrysler van would not operate. I could not hear the pump, but when I pulled it (it was located outside of the fill tank, at the bottom) there was a seal groment that was clogged with a mud like substance. Cleaned it and it worked just fine. Are you outside of warranty period?

Old 11-26-2014, 12:11 AM
There are two separate pumps. If memory serves me, they both attach to the bottom of the reservoir.

Is your washer fluid nearly empty? Perhaps the front pump starts sucking air a bit before the back pump. Other than that, it sounds like a clog or a hose that's come off a fitting or something along those lines is most probable. But, since it's under warranty, I'd bring it to a dealer and let them figure it out (assuming it's not low fluid, of course).

Old 11-26-2014, 06:40 PM
Thanks for your replies. Makes more sense that there would be two pumps. It looks like a rodent might have been the culprit.

Name:  gdJS2Au.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  503 Bytes

and

So, a visit to the dealer is in order, I suppose, or I could man up and fix it myself. I'll have to research it a bit. It can't be that hard.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
You're lucky that right now it's only a cheap hose....you need to prevent rodents from eating wiring, which will be difficult and expensive to repair. Move your Fit into a garage if possible and/or do some research on how to prevent damage.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:20 AM
Any reasonable auto parts store should be able to sell you windshield washer hose by the foot. Bring a sample of the old tube with you to get the right size. Assuming access isn't too much of a hassle, that's something you could easily fix yourself. (I think they're generally just hose barb connectors that the tubing slides onto. I may be wrong in that thinking, though; it wouldn't be the first time!)

Old 04-27-2015, 01:10 PM
It's been too long, but here is an update. I fixed the problem myself. My local dealer that sold me my Fit wanted $130 to fix the problem "because we have to remove the pump." Nope, I don't think so. It turned out to be a relatively easy fix with a new hose plus barbs, just like DrewE thought.

Everything is back to normal and my wife thinks I'm an expert mechanic now.

Check out the nest:

Name:  0xPhEkD.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  134.1 KB