2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greasable Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member
Greasable Ball Joints

I've been working on cars for 12 years or so and still haven't gotten the hang of greasable bushings. Ball joints in upper and lower LCA's, tie rod end links, and anti-roll bar end links are often sold with zerk fittings and instructions to add grease, but every time I've added any the seals blow within a month regardless of claims about built-in relief channels. To be clear, I likely over-filled them in the past. Now I use sealed joints whenever possible to avoid this issue.

Some say in their instructions (as with a set of recently purchased AC Delco roll bar end links - verified came pre-greased) that grease is already added and to not pump in any more, while others (as with a pair of AC Delco lower control arms purchased at the same time - verified came pre-greased) say that if your part comes with a zerk, you must grease it before entering it into service.

I've got two questions:
  • Should I follow the letter of instructions regardless of whether grease is present in the ball and socket joint?
  • How much grease should be put into a joint?
I recognize that different joints are different sizes and am not hoping for a hard number of pumps on a standard sized grease gun or specific quantity of lube in ounces, just whatever you do when installing new greasable joints/servicing in-use greasable joints.