2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP. Lost circuit board to key fob

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 10:23 AM
HELP. Lost circuit board to key fob

Hi everyone. I somehow lost the circuit board to my 2009 Honda Fit Sport key fob and now my car won't start. As you can imagine it is annoying since I have the key but not the fob. What are my options? I bought the car used so it only came with this one key/fob. The dealerships wants $250 to replace which I honestly can't afford till payday on 04/01 but I also need my car to go to work. Do I have any options that don't require me borrowing money from someone. Trying to do this on my own.
Any suggestions would help.

Thanks

Old 03-11-2024, 12:00 PM
Unfortunately you might be out of luck. Modern vehicles with immobilizer systems need the signal provided by the functioning key.

Old 03-11-2024, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
A good mechanic could probably bypass the immobilizer. I don't know how though, only that I know it was done to my mom 04 Civic back a couple years ago...

But, if you have to pay to have the job done, might just buy the key at the dealer and have it programmed.

I've also heard that a locksmith could cut and program keys for cars, so that might be cheaper (or not).

Old 03-11-2024, 03:31 PM
FWIW, here's what Google has to say about replacing the circuit board in a Honda Fit key fob. https://www.google.com/search?q=hond...nt&newwindow=1

Old 03-11-2024, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
Just my $ .02 worth. I assume you've already checked for the circuit board in all the obvious places- deep in your pants pocket, the couch, floorboard of your car, etc, etc? If so, you need a replacement circuit board to start the car obviously. I don't think you want to bypass the immobilizer and lleave your car prone to someone stealing it.

First thing, you're going to have to explore your options. Whoever you have provide the circuitboard and chip, is also going to need the car to do the programming of the new chip to your car. If you don't have a towing policy, you're going to have to figure that cost in as well or call around to a few locksmiths and compare their prices in coming to you. A locksmith should be able to do the whole job like a dealer would- at hopefully a lower cost. Also, a lot of hardware stores like Ace Hardware out here in California can also do this job- call around to get info and pricing. Again, you're going to have to get your car to them for programing if you choose them to do the work.

As far as paying for the job that's something you're going to have to figure out. Charge it to a credit card, and then pay it off after you get paid 4/1?

The last suggestion I'm going to make is to plan on buying a second complete key assembly soon!!

Last edited by 56chevydan; 03-11-2024 at 04:15 PM.