2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Excited about new gearing

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Excited about new gearing

I dont know why I hear all of this hate on the new gearing getting terrible gas mileage. Yes we will not be able to pull 50 mpg hypermiling, but I can bet you we will be able to pull 40 mpg doing 65 mph on the freeway. I'm excited because I need to drive slower on the freeway. Too often do I ride at the 75 to 80 mph. This will make me in less of a rush to get everywhere as I will actually give myself those 5 to 10 min I need so that I can cruise my way to 40 mpg. Plus the idea of the gearing being agressive and a 4.62 final drive is awesome. This is gonna be one fun fit when I get a few bolt on's. With that gearing, I'll really be able to enjoy this car with just an intake and exhaust.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member
I have the 09 Sport 5MT, and I just came from a canyon run with it. After 3 1/2 days of LA city crawling mixed with some highway and canyon road assaults, I'm currently at 39.4 mpg!!

For what it's worth, at 65 mph on a flat freeway, the instant FE gauge is showing around 45 mpg.

So much for the shorter gearing reducing FE. I actually think the 09s are going to get better real world FE than the 1st gen.

Can't wait to see my mpg rise as the miles roll in.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by waraeor
I have the 09 Sport 5MT, and I just came from a canyon run with it. After 3 1/2 days of LA city crawling mixed with some highway and canyon road assaults, I'm currently at 39.4 mpg!!

For what it's worth, at 65 mph on a flat freeway, the instant FE gauge is showing around 45 mpg.

So much for the shorter gearing reducing FE. I actually think the 09s are going to get better real world FE than the 1st gen.

Thats good news about the MPG!

What was your 5th gear RPM at 65mph?

Post a pic!!!

Old 08-30-2008, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
the 09 fit has a fuel economy gauge?

Old 08-30-2008, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by babyfit
Thats good news about the MPG!

What was your 5th gear RPM at 65mph?

Post a pic!!!
Funny you asked...I checked exactly that today. At 65 it was just over 3,000 rpms.

If someone can show me how to post pics, I'll gladly do so.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, it has both an instant FE bar guage as well as a digital avg mpg guage right in front of you.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, it has both an instant FE bar guage as well as a digital avg mpg guage right in front of you.
noice! thats pretty cool

Old 08-30-2008, 08:43 PM
Fa1
65mph at 3000rpm seems extremely high to me.

At 3k I'm around 75-80mph.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:12 AM
That is awesome that this thing is still pushing great mileage. I also hope that the final drive will be cheap, as oppposed to the aftermarket ones so that all of the gd bros can have an upgrade to the final drive that is oem quality. As far as I have seen. Most hondas actually get better gas mileage in citys with higher final drives, but the highway is slightly sacrafised like one or maybe 2 miles to the gallon.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:21 AM

I would be really interested to see what some people with ScanGauge's get as far as results go on the '09s, to see how those result match up with the FE gauge is telling you. I know some cars, BMWs, Prius and others have been shown to give overly optimistic readings. I'd trust the ScanGauge more car vs. car.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vtec just kicked in yo
I would be really interested to see what some people with ScanGauge's get as far as results go on the '09s, to see how those result match up with the FE gauge is telling you. I know some cars, BMWs, Prius and others have been shown to give overly optimistic readings. I'd trust the ScanGauge more car vs. car.
yep. i trust the scangauge #'s more than my fill up gallons divided by miles driven

Old 08-31-2008, 02:46 AM
^ was this sarcasm. I dont want to point out flame. It probably isnt I just crazy. I usually believe the miles divided by what I fill up as I pretty much always put the same amount into my tank at fill ups after the thing goes click. I havent had a scanguage but I can divide pretty good I my head for my 89 prelude, which happens to get about 3 more miles to the gallon more than honda rated it even with 85 highway 15 city driving.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bbpGEftmfw
^ was this sarcasm. I dont want to point out flame. It probably isnt I just crazy. I usually believe the miles divided by what I fill up as I pretty much always put the same amount into my tank at fill ups after the thing goes click. I havent had a scanguage but I can divide pretty good I my head for my 89 prelude, which happens to get about 3 more miles to the gallon more than honda rated it even with 85 highway 15 city driving.
not sarcasm.

but, you do realize that every gas pump is different, every fill up is different. itll never per as accurate as a scangauge. which, if you set it up correctly, can be as accurate as .01%

Old 08-31-2008, 02:56 AM
I know that they are not the same, but Im not pinchin the pennies that bad. I am happy to see that this many people have faith in this product. Someone will have to put one in the ge as it would be nice to see how accurate it is. When your talking about like a even a half of a gallon off (which would be a lot of difference from pump to pump) even with filling up only 7 gallons gettin 210 miles over that distance the difference of error would only be + or - 2 mpg. I dont really stress about 2 miles to the gallon, Im just happy I dont drive one of those suv's suckin down 10 miles to the gallon. I started this thread because I am stoked that I am gonna have something that will give me more than 30 mpg and be very fun to drive as a result of the relatively high final drive.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:46 AM
5 Year Member
Here's one interesting thread that I found long time ago, started by one of the well known "track whore" member "92TypeR" on H-T:

Honda-Tech.com: Acura Integra Type-R: Fuel Economy Discussion: Short gearing VS longer gearing

Old 09-01-2008, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
^^^^ sweet sig. thats where that mazda (rx8?) should be!

Originally Posted by Fa1
65mph at 3000rpm seems extremely high to me.

At 3k I'm around 75-80mph.
I have a 03 jetta 2.0 AT and thats the rpms are for me. It sucks. 31mpg max

sorry for the off topic

Old 09-02-2008, 12:29 AM
I like someones thread who talked about how high gearing doesnt always mean lower fuel mileage as less load on the engine will dump less fuel in. Yeah for a better gear box, one can only hope it will be a direct swap for gd's and also be cheap just like the d series engines/trannies.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member
I just refilled my 09 Sport MT this morning, where my avg mpg computer was at 39.1 mpg in LA city and highway mix driving. Today I did a mix of around town/hwy, but while I was on the highway steadily doing 65, my avg mpg was around 41 mpg, while the instant mpg bar believe it or not hovers around 50-55 mpg, as long as you're not on any degree of incline.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:51 AM
Dude I am soo stoked man. That is excellent news as I take my 40 mile commute to work everyday and will be using her for that. Well except on days I go to school, because I dont trust stupid youngins who dont car about their cars and others in the parking lots and garages. My poor 3rd gen prelude, but shes been good to me and Im greatful to have her as my beater.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bbpGEftmfw
Dude I am soo stoked man. That is excellent news as I take my 40 mile commute to work everyday and will be using her for that. Well except on days I go to school, because I dont trust stupid youngins who dont car about their cars and others in the parking lots and garages. My poor 3rd gen prelude, but shes been good to me and Im greatful to have her as my beater.
Ya. I see your stoke-ness and I raise you a jump for joy! This car that I've had for all of 5 days has really lifted my spirits. What makes the car so much fun is not only the car as a whole, but how much $$ I'm saving with it. And what's cool is I can leisurely and enthusiastically shop for accessories for it. I just traded in my 08 Accord Coupe 6MT, which had 300 hp and handled tremendously, but already, I'm a much happier person with this Fit.

Quick Reply: Excited about new gearing