2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

extended warrenty ... is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 09:38 AM
5 Year Member
extended warrenty ... is it worth it?

Is anyone getting the extended warrenty? I'm not sure if its really worth the $1200 for 6/100k. Who knows by then 40 mpg's maybe a joke with electric and fuel cell cars making the advances they are.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
I was wondering about this too. I know Toyota refunds theirs if you don't end up using it, does Honda too?

Old 09-06-2008, 10:30 AM
If you get your warranty from Hondacare.com it comes with a "no-use" full refund. Beware, the warranty does not cover transmission failures.

Robert

Old 09-06-2008, 11:31 AM
I got the extended warranty as I plan on keeping this car and passing it done to my son in 8 yrs. If you do not plan on keeping longer than 5-6 yrs I doubt it would be useful.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:05 PM
what page?

Originally Posted by cathyrob
If you get your warranty from Hondacare.com it comes with a "no-use" full refund. Beware, the warranty does not cover transmission failures.

Robert
I thought I read the hondacare documentation meticulously. What page did they mention not covering transmissions?

Old 09-06-2008, 12:33 PM
I have a MT and could not find the word "clutch" or anything that referred to gears. All that it mentions seems to be peripheral parts. However, I know very little about car mechanics.

Robert

Old 09-06-2008, 12:44 PM
fine print

Originally Posted by cathyrob
I have a MT and could not find the word "clutch" or anything that referred to gears. All that it mentions seems to be peripheral parts. However, I know very little about car mechanics.

Robert
I never expected the clutch or any other "disposable" (brake pads, radiator hose, wiper blades etc.) parts to be covered but you've still got me spooked. I think I'll go reread the hondacare docs. It doesn't cover everything, that's true, but it's pretty thorough. If it didn't cover the tranny, period, I'd be extremely pissed. I believe you can get your money back on Hondacare as long as you haven't used it. Might have to read about that too.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by pilotamis
Is anyone getting the extended warrenty? I'm not sure if its really worth the $1200 for 6/100k. Who knows by then 40 mpg's maybe a joke with electric and fuel cell cars making the advances they are.
I'm debating the same thing. FYI: There are several Honda dealers offering factory extended warranties over the internet (e.g., https://www.myhondawarranty.com/). For fun, I checked the pricing for a 6 yr/100k warranty and it's $565 w/$100 deductible and $665 w/$0 deductible. Essentially, they're selling for about $100 over cost. Honda is in process of trying to shut down these dealers, so the window of opportunity may not last long.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by pilotamis
Check out buying the extended warranty online! I got mine (8yr/0 deductible/120K) for $890 at Bernardi. Since that time Honda corporate has gone after these dealerships legally but there are still several offering the extended warranties at greatly reduced prices. The "invoice" price of the above warranty was, when I bought the car (nov 08) $635 and most dealerships wanted around 2K. Anyway shop around. For the moment extended warranties can be bought like any other accessory and that means cheaper online. Honda's trying to close this loophole since it's a definite "cash cow" for their dealerships. There's a lot of argument as to whether an extended warranty on a Honda is worth it anyway and that argument is valid. I'm a skeptic, I'm 47, I've owned a lot of machines including Honda and Toyotas and I believe ALL MACHINES BREAK! Hondas less than most!

Last edited by feddup; 09-06-2008 at 01:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-06-2008, 01:50 PM
My husband and I have good luck with buying extended warranties from Warranty Direct. You can buy it right before the manufacturer's original warranty runs out and its a lot cheaper. I'm not sure of the coverage differences, but we've had mechanical and stereo items covered in Mike's Focus by Warranty Direct.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:00 PM
many companies offer extended warranties or sevice contracts, mine pays me back if i dont use it, but i mainly bought it because of the electic power steering and in case the trans fails

Old 09-06-2008, 04:10 PM
It might be worth if it you have the money. Purchasing the car was a big feat in itself.. couldn't shell out more after the fact.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by HONDAMATIC
many companies offer extended warranties or sevice contracts, mine pays me back if i dont use it, but i mainly bought it because of the electic power steering and in case the trans fails
I don't see anywhere that says you get your money refunded if you don't use it. I see this on the Saccucci Honda link:
Can I cancel my Honda Care Contract?
Yes. If you cancel within 60 days and no services have been rendered you will receive a full refund.

Seems to me you only get a full refund if you cancel within 60 days. If you have a link that shows otherwise, let me know, I would be interested in that warranty. Edit- nevermind, I see it on the official Honda Care site. Does Saccucci offer the same thing? I didn't see it on their site.

I am still a little weary of that claim. Has anyone here received a refund? The dealership here (John Chezik) was telling people that they would get their money back if they didn't use their extended warranty and but they didn't give people their money back when they didn't use it. They got sued and lost, but the people still didn't get the money back. The dealership filed for bankruptcy and formed under a new name. Hence why I did not buy from them.

Last edited by buckswife; 09-06-2008 at 05:17 PM.