2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 02:04 AM
Extended warranty

I'm curious how many of us went for the extended warranty. I went ahead and got the 5yr/100K zero deductible plan for $1555. My normal inclination would be to turn this down, but with Nav, VSA, etc. this is getting to be pretty sophisticated car with some expensive parts. I rationalized it by calling it $300/year insurance against repairs if I own it for 5 years. My local dealer charges $120/hr for repair work. Ouch!

For those of you that haven't taken delivery yet, take some time to think about it. There was also a 6yr/120K plan for about $1700ish if you really want to kick it out there.

Any recent Honda owners that care to share their thoughts on the Honda extended warranty and whether it paid for itself?

Old 09-12-2008, 03:14 AM
5 Year Member
i got the 8 year 150k mile for $1555

Old 09-12-2008, 03:20 AM
5 Year Member
6yr 100k...

i hope i won't have to use it, but it's there just in case.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:34 AM
5 Year Member
Are your extended warranties refundable if you don't use them?

Old 09-12-2008, 08:12 AM
5 Year Member
[quote=DrHog;424087]I'm curious how many of us went for the extended warranty./quote]

I hate to be the bearer but some will profit.
on myhondawarranty.com there is a Honda dealer selling extended warranties at cost (ref Automotive News article). Generally ran from $400 to $800, the latter for 8 yr/120,000 miles, offered in 5 levels of protection.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:38 AM
I think my extended warranty was 7/85k (or something like that) for about $1300 from Immke Honda in Columbus, OH. The best part is the warranty is fully refundable if not used at all, and pro-rated it the car is sold b4 the warranty runs out. Nice peace of mind!

Old 09-12-2008, 08:47 AM
www.myhondawaranty.com

You guys paid a lot! Yikes!

Old 09-12-2008, 10:15 AM
refund

[quote=mahout;424151]
Originally Posted by DrHog
I'm curious how many of us went for the extended warranty./quote]

I hate to be the bearer but some will profit.
on myhondawarranty.com there is a Honda dealer selling extended warranties at cost (ref Automotive News article). Generally ran from $400 to $800, the latter for 8 yr/120,000 miles, offered in 5 levels of protection.
The extended warranty is where the dealership cleans up on profit. If you can get a refund from your dealership, DO SO. Then go online and get the same product for far less. It might not be too late for you to save some money.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:52 AM
There are several online dealers offering Honda Care Extended Warranties for over 40-45% less than what most dealers are charging at time of sale. Honda is currently attempting to shut these online dealers down in order to protect dealer profitability in each local market. Following is what I pulled off one dealer's website:

"On March 28th, Saccucci Honda won an injunction against Honda's Internet Service Contract Guidelines. These guidelines would have prevented customers from purchasing Honda Care over the internet.
Honda is continuing to push to end online sales and have removed the case to Federal Court. A trial will be scheduled in the next few months. We can continue to provide you with our special internet Honda Care rates until we are ordered otherwise."

Old 09-12-2008, 01:59 PM
limited time

I bought mine from Bernardi who has since stopped selling at Honda's "insistence". From what I gather Honda's going to keep after these dealers so if you want a reduced price on an extended warranty you better hurry.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Wow....I knew there would be alternate ways to get an extended warranty for less, but had no idea you could get the Honda Care Warranty for half price over the internet.

I bought the car on 9/10.....how would you all suggest I go about trying to "return" the dealer warranty? I may have a 72 hour window--I'm not sure, but the clock is ticking.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:16 PM
not sure

Originally Posted by DrHog
Wow....I knew there would be alternate ways to get an extended warranty for less, but had no idea you could get the Honda Care Warranty for half price over the internet.

I bought the car on 9/10.....how would you all suggest I go about trying to "return" the dealer warranty? I may have a 72 hour window--I'm not sure, but the clock is ticking.
I'd request the hondacare warranty in writing. I believe you have 60 days but I'm not sure that you can repurchase the true Hondacare warranty. I researched this stuff a year ago and since my memory has "faded" Hey I'm human. I hope other fitfreaks will chime in. chris 619 claims his warranty is for 150K. Unless some stuff has changed that's not hondacare. The longest term they offered was 120K. If you got it on 9/10 I'd go in there tomorrow and get MENTAL! I just don't like handing over an extra grand. When I was in negotiations fopr the fit initially the price the salesman were wanting was all over the place. I basically thought "something's up". I've long since lost the link but a snitching Honda salesman had fessed up. My 8 year/120K/0$ deductible "retailed for about 2K. What did the dealership pay, $635. I paid Bernardi $890 which at the time was as low as it got. Since then, as Silly Monkey (love the avatar!!) said, Honda has come down on these online dealerships. Anyway good luck but do some research and get your money back FAST!!!! Why corperate Honda gives a F&%K is beyond me but if you dig you'll find out what Silly Monkey said is true.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by feddup
Since then, as Silly Monkey (love the avatar!!) said...
Thanks for the props!

By the way, last year I was researching a Honda Care warranty for my mom's new CR-V, which is when I fortuitously discovered the fact that these warranties could be had for much less over the internet. At that time, I spoke with one of the dealers offering the warranty (I think the dealer was in Ohio) and they told me that they were selling the warranties for $100 over their cost, as it was all incremental business to them; however, they weren't promoting this in their local market. As such, a lot of dealers were p'ed off at the prospect of losing a huge profit stream. So, for anyone interested in purchasing a factory extended warranty, jump fast before the window closes.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:10 AM
do it!

For good or bad you have a limited time to operate. I'm not sure why and it's none of my business. Honda Corporate doesn't like this.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:18 AM
My dealer offered me a 7-year 80,000 mile warranty for $800-$850 dollars. I find this odd since the warranties I saw were for even numbers of years...

Wondering if I should stay away from this one. Very respectable dealer in the area, but this just sounds weird.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:14 AM
Originally Posted by feddup
I'd request the hondacare warranty in writing. I believe you have 60 days but I'm not sure that you can repurchase the true Hondacare warranty. I researched this stuff a year ago and since my memory has "faded" Hey I'm human. I hope other fitfreaks will chime in. chris 619 claims his warranty is for 150K. Unless some stuff has changed that's not hondacare. The longest term they offered was 120K. If you got it on 9/10 I'd go in there tomorrow and get MENTAL! I just don't like handing over an extra grand. When I was in negotiations fopr the fit initially the price the salesman were wanting was all over the place. I basically thought "something's up". I've long since lost the link but a snitching Honda salesman had fessed up. My 8 year/120K/0$ deductible "retailed for about 2K. What did the dealership pay, $635. I paid Bernardi $890 which at the time was as low as it got. Since then, as Silly Monkey (love the avatar!!) said, Honda has come down on these online dealerships. Anyway good luck but do some research and get your money back FAST!!!! Why corperate Honda gives a F&%K is beyond me but if you dig you'll find out what Silly Monkey said is true.
Well, there's no need to go mental. I just reviewed the contract, which I should have done at the dealership. You have 60 days to cancel and get a full refund. It says to go to the dealer with this request. I'm sure there will be a fight when I get there, but the contract provides for this, so there's nothing they can do. The last statement in the cancellation section states in bold "if canceled, coverage cannot be reinstated."

My intent was not to end up without the extended coverage--I still believe that over 100K miles, something will crop up that will cost me over a grand. I just wanted to save 50% and get it over the internet through one of the discounting dealers. Has anyone succeeded in canceling the contract and subsequently getting it through another dealer? It does not appear that the contract is on your side here.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:05 AM
I wouldn't panic just yet. The squeeky wheel usually gets the grease, so you may want to try a couple avenues before throwing in the towel.

First, I checked online for a 5yr/100k Honda Care warranty ($0 deductible), which is what you purchased for $1555. I found two dealers, Bernardi and Saccucci, selling the same warranty online for $605. The difference compared to what you paid is $950, which represents a 61% discount to what you were charged. The difference is substantial and worth a fight (not literally, of course).

I would first appeal to the finance manager at your dealer. I would think that the prospect of you cancelilng altogether might propel him/her to work out some equitable solution. You can diplomatically threaten to cancel the entire contract, in which case the dealer and finance dept. would get nada. If he/she says that you can't renew Honda Care once it's cancelled, then bluff by saying you'll go with an non-factory warranty, which you've found for signficantly less -- don't get sucked into a debate at how these other warranties are inferior.

If that doesn't get you anywhere, you may want to appeal to a supervisor at Honda Care support. Explaining that you just recently picked up your new Fit, and subsequently found the warranty for nearly $1k less, perhaps there's something they can do to override the verbiage in your contract, especially since you haven't had the car for more than a couple weeks.

I'm not sure if any of my advice will work, but it's certainly worth a try to save a grand. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Old 09-13-2008, 12:52 PM
good!

You guys are good! I thought Bernardi stopped selling them. Perhaps that injunction stuff worked for them as well. I know some people that swear by 3rd party extended warranties (non Honda) but I've also heard nightmare stories of the companies not wanting to pay or magically going out of business regularly (fly-by-night). I know Geico insurance has some sort of extended warranty and, although I have and like their insurance, I prefer the Hondacare extended warranties. By the way this is my first NEW Honda and my 08 fit has been flawless so i've not used the Hondacare warranty. It's all conjecture for now but, in my opinion, even Hondas break ALL MACHINES DO! Good luck DRhog and Silly Monkey does good research. I love that avatar and I'm not sure why. Their was some cheesy Saturday morning programs on in the 70s featuring super smart chimps with hideously bad voice overs. Anyway cool thread, good work and your knowledge outclasses mine.

As an afterthought to Drhog. If i had that nav and the new VSA on the fairly recently redone fit I might also want the extended warranty. At some point I go "there's no way I'm going to successfully repair that!" and I'm not a bad wrencher. 2K nav system in parts in my hands? This could get ugly!

Last edited by feddup; 09-13-2008 at 12:55 PM. Reason: addition
Old 09-13-2008, 02:48 PM
Here is an old thread I remembered from 2006! Back then, I paid $905 for an 8 year 120,000 mile warranty with $0deductable. To get the contract took a little legwork for me to get, searching the internet and calling around. The dealership originally tried to get me to purchase it for $1850 (can't blame them for trying!) but they finally did match the price. SOME profit on a service contract is better than NO profit!

Lot of good reading! Check it out! https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...onda-care.html

Old 09-14-2008, 03:03 AM
I wished that I had seen this post a day earlier. We bought our Fit Sports thursday, and bought 8yr /120k GE extended warranty from the dealer for $1700, we were sold on the "100% refunded if not used" feature. Now I am thinking even though "refundable" is supposed to be a good thing, but what if you have a moderate repair in the middle of the warranty period, what will you do? Would you not claim it in hope that no more claims would be made and you could get a refund at the end?

Luckily we could cancel within 60 days and there is no "can't reinstate" clause. I went to both Saccucci and Bernadi websites, they are still selling Honda care EW. They charge $890 for $0 deductible for the same coverage. I am going to purchase from one of them.

By the way, I found that Honda and Saccuci family went to the court on Aug 25, but the case didn't finish, and there is a gag order by judge. So until there is a result against Saccucci, we can still purchse EW at the reasonable prices.

This is the URL for the Saccucci story: Automotive News

Quick Reply: Extended warranty