2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Base 2009 Fit - Keyless Entry?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Base 2009 Fit - Keyless Entry?

I can't seem to find anything on the honda website that says whether or not the base model fit has remote keyless entry. Under the security features, it lists a security system with remote entry only for the sport, but that doesn't necessarily mean the base model doesn't have normal keyless entry. I can't imagine going back to using a key to unlock my doors and I don't want to pay $1600 to upgrade to a sport just for one of those little remotes.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by mpb2000
I can't seem to find anything on the honda website that says whether or not the base model fit has remote keyless entry. Under the security features, it lists a security system with remote entry only for the sport, but that doesn't necessarily mean the base model doesn't have normal keyless entry. I can't imagine going back to using a key to unlock my doors and I don't want to pay $1600 to upgrade to a sport just for one of those little remotes.
For what you get on a sport vs a base, the price should be more than $1600.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:37 PM
5 Year Member
On the base model you can order Keyless Entry and the Security System as separate items, since they are not standard. Check out College Hills Honda, they sell each at a discount. $108 for the Keyless. http://www.collegehillshonda.com/hon...ccessories.htm

Old 09-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by BobbyK
Yeah, but only if it's all worth it to you. To me, it's not. Great answer to my question, by the way.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by bbronczyk
On the base model you can order Keyless Entry and the Security System as separate items, since they are not standard. Check out College Hills Honda, they sell each at a discount. $108 for the Keyless. http://www.collegehillshonda.com/hon...ccessories.htm
There's no way that would be a do it yourself job; you need a key cutter and the honda diagnostic system. I'm sure the dealership wouldn't do it for you; they want you to buy the more expensive model. Would an auto place be able to do that?

Old 09-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by BobbyK
Interesting BobbyK. For all you get on the Sport for $1600 (e.g., larger rims/tires, fog lights, leather wrapped steering wheel, cruise, more speakers, rear spoiler, rear stabalizer, body mods, etc.), it indeed seems like a bargain. For someone buying a base and trying to upgrade, it could easily run over $3k for all the extras. So, unless someone is really on a tight budget or geeked about the extra 2 mpg in the base automatic, imho I see few reasons, if any, to opt for the base.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Silly Monkey
Interesting BobbyK. For all you get on the Sport for $1600 (e.g., larger rims/tires, fog lights, leather wrapped steering wheel, cruise, more speakers, rear spoiler, rear stabalizer, body mods, etc.), it indeed seems like a bargain. For someone buying a base and trying to upgrade, it could easily run over $3k for all the extras. So, unless someone is really on a tight budget or geeked about the extra 2 mpg in the base automatic, imho I see few reasons, if any, to opt for the base.
I'm sure it is a good deal...but ony if you WANT all of those upgrades. That's my point; I could care less about rims, fog lights, leather wrapped stearing wheel, and body mods. So to spend $1600 to get the one thing I want, keyless entry, it's sort of hard to justify. If I can get that installed separately, I'm sure it isn't going to cost $1600. My question is, where would you get this done and how much would it cost?

Old 09-07-2008, 04:10 PM
I'm sure it is a good deal...but ony if you WANT all of those upgrades. That's my point; I could care less about rims, fog lights, leather wrapped stearing wheel, and body mods. So to spend $1600 to get the one thing I want, keyless entry, it's sort of hard to justify. If I can get that installed separately, I'm sure it isn't going to cost $1600. My question is, where would you get this done and how much would it cost?
Forgive me if I implied that you're on a tight budget. After posting, I realized my words might annoy some individuals who might not want all the upgrades that come with the sport. Your thinking is parallel to mine, in that I want VSA but am having a hard time with the notion of plunking down nearly $2k for navi just to get it.

Now, on to your question. I noticed a post above that mentions College Hills offering keyless entry for $108, sans installation labor. I'm not sure about an aftermarket unit being as good as the Honda model, plus, I believe the Honda unit might have a better warranty. You may want to contact your local dealer to get an idea about installation labor and then compare that to a local aftermarket retailer (I would google keyless entry in your area). I'm curious how much cheaper an aftermarket shop will be relative to the dealer. Keep us posted!

Old 09-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Forgive me if I implied that you're on a tight budget. After posting, I realized my words might annoy some individuals who might not want all the upgrades that come with the sport. Your thinking is parallel to mine, in that I want VSA but am having a hard time with the notion of plunking down nearly $2k for navi just to get it.

Now, on to your question. I noticed a post above that mentions College Hills offering keyless entry for $108, sans installation labor. I'm not sure about an aftermarket unit being as good as the Honda model, plus, I believe the Honda unit might have a better warranty. You may want to contact your local dealer to get an idea about installation labor and then compare that to a local aftermarket retailer (I would google keyless entry in your area). I'm curious how much cheaper an aftermarket shop will be relative to the dealer. Keep us posted!
So, do you think adding a keyless entry system is something the honda dealership would even do? Or would they just say you had to buy the Sport model? I would personally stay away from an aftermarket shop even if it was a little more at the dealer. I just wasn't aware the dealer would install that, so that would be something to look into.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:50 PM
So, do you think adding a keyless entry system is something the honda dealership would even do? Or would they just say you had to buy the Sport model? I would personally stay away from an aftermarket shop even if it was a little more at the dealer. I just wasn't aware the dealer would install that, so that would be something to look into.
Yes, a Honda dealer will definitely install the part since they are offering it as an accessory (Part # 08E60-TK6-100; Application: 2009 Base Fit). Much agreed, it's worth it to pay a bit more for a Honda-backed part and installation, rather than an aftermarket shop. Plus, with the aftermarket, you'll likely get an off-brand key fob rather than something built in to the key. Good luck!

Old 09-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Yes, a Honda dealer will definitely install the part since they are offering it as an accessory (Part # 08E60-TK6-100; Application: 2009 Base Fit). Much agreed, it's worth it to pay a bit more for a Honda-backed part and installation, rather than an aftermarket shop. Plus, with the aftermarket, you'll likely get an off-brand key fob rather than something built in to the key. Good luck!
I just called a Honda dealership in the area and the sales guy said they would do it but he wasn't sure on price (parts and service are closed Sundays). He estimated $250-300, so that would definitely be worth it, for me anyway.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:13 PM
I just called a Honda dealership in the area and the sales guy said they would do it but he wasn't sure on price (parts and service are closed Sundays). He estimated $250-300, so that would definitely be worth it, for me anyway.
That seems reasonable. Did his estimate include parts and labor (I'm guessing that it did)? BTW, the retail price of the Honda keyless entry is $149 -- College Hills has it listed for $108, but there would of course be shipping. I find no harm in using that information to negotiate a better deal with your local dealer, plus, I'm assuming you just purchased a new car from the dealer, so that should give you a little leverage.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:40 AM
Hello guys. My wife and I just purchased a '09 base Fit. My dealer quoted me $579 just for the keyless entry (parts and labor included). WTF? To get a spare key cut and programmed is $75 + $95! Holy s*@t! Dealer is Metro Honda in Jersey City, NJ.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mikedabike
Hello guys. My wife and I just purchased a '09 base Fit. My dealer quoted me $579 just for the keyless entry (parts and labor included). WTF? To get a spare key cut and programmed is $75 + $95! Holy s*@t! Dealer is Metro Honda in Jersey City, NJ.
That price for the spare key is reasonable. My dealer charges $95 to cut and program a key. So I assume the $75 is for the key itself. I know the price is high, but that does seem to be the going rate. But call around. I'm sure you can find another dealer that can do it cheaper.

I called around and found an Acura dealer who would cut and program for $35.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

I have the base 08. You dont have to pay so much for a "HONDA" keyless entry. I can do without all the mods a fit sport has, except i thought going from a suv with keyless/alarm, to using a key again was quite annoying. So i paid 60 for a python alarm/keyless entry(bought off someone on the forum) paid 50 for installation and walah! keyless entry plus alarm installed for 110 bucks. and i plan to buy the mugen aero kit instead of oem sport kit, but am content with my current mods. and got a 200 GPS navi for 80 bucks at black friday. paid 500 for 16" HFP wheels w/falkens. So basically i paid 690 bucks for the sport features that i actually wanted/needed, and didnt pay for features that werent neccesary to me. there are loop holes, you just gota look. hope this helps

Old 12-07-2008, 05:26 PM
I just bought an '09 base fit and the reason it's expensive is because it doesn't have automatic locks. You have to have the automatic locking system intalled too which is the expensive part. I'm looking at putting a keyless entry in mine too and if I'd have known how much of a hassle it would be I would have just paid a little more for an LX or a Sport model.
By the way, does anybody know where I can get an automatic lock + keyless entry system for an '09 fit?

Old 12-07-2008, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by donatg
I just bought an '09 base fit and the reason it's expensive is because it doesn't have automatic locks. You have to have the automatic locking system intalled too which is the expensive part. I'm looking at putting a keyless entry in mine too and if I'd have known how much of a hassle it would be I would have just paid a little more for an LX or a Sport model.
By the way, does anybody know where I can get an automatic lock + keyless entry system for an '09 fit?
Oh wow. i had no idea that cars still came without automatic locks. my base has automatic locks but not keyless entry. so it was easy for me, just added keyless and alarm, but im sure the automatic locks+keyless will cost you a pretty penny.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AnlDyxp_GD3
Oh wow. i had no idea that cars still came without automatic locks.
that may just be a canadian thing.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:30 AM
Old 12-14-2008, 12:29 AM
This past Thursday I had the local dealer install the keyless remote entry system on my 09 Fit for $254. I thought about just buying the parts and doing it myself, but nah it's winter here in the DC area!

Quick Reply: Base 2009 Fit - Keyless Entry?