2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there such a thing as green tint?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
Is there such a thing as green tint?

This will be my first tint job, as the almost non-existant tint in the windows lets in too much sun here in LA.

I don't really like the grey type of tint. I would like a green tint like you typically see on new Audis, Minis and VWs.

I was told by the shop that's going to do my tint this weekend that there is no such thing as a green tint.

Is that true? Does anyone know if I can have a green tint job?

Thanks.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
There are a few tint companies that make green tint but it will look really green on the glass and I don`t think you would want that look. Check with a few tint shops and look at a high performance charcoal grey tint, that may give you the look that you want. Hope this helps.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
I don't like the dark tint jobs there everyone gets.

Like I said, all I need is a mild green tint similar to the stock Audis, Minis and VWs, for example.

If not, I'll settle for a really mild grey tint.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:18 AM
I don't think you're seeing tint on the glass. A lot of these cars, my GTI included, have green-tinted glass from the factory. Earlier GTIs had blue, which looks nicer in my opinion, but the green wasn't bad.. Then I went to 20%, lol.

edit: didn't realize this was my first post. I've been lurking way too long.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by n2oinferno
I don't think you're seeing tint on the glass. A lot of these cars, my GTI included, have green-tinted glass from the factory. Earlier GTIs had blue, which looks nicer in my opinion, but the green wasn't bad.. Then I went to 20%, lol.

edit: didn't realize this was my first post. I've been lurking way too long.
Uh, I don't think you're understanding me. I WANT a green tint. The factory glass has a very mild green tint to it. I want it darker or denser. I don't want a grey or black tint. I want green.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
The green tint you see on the brands you mentioned is actually a coating mixed in the glass if I am not mistaken. But I don't think anyone makes em to be installed like a normal tint. If they do I have never seen one. The green tints I have seen though, are really green. So unless you want every day to be St Pattys day...

Old 09-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Exactly. The glass itself is a shade of green, it's not a tint in the traditional film you'll find at the tint shop. Most of them will be green green.. However, I did a bit more research into it and what you're looking for is Llumar AT35GN green/charcoal tint. It was developed by Llumar with VW to match the green/charcoal tint of the Touraeg. It only comes in 35% but you're not looking for dark, so this should work well..

Old 09-11-2008, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks guys, and thanks n20 for the info and pics. Did you take those just for this post?

Yes, I did more research last night and I read about that Llumar AT35, and looking at your Treg, that's pretty much what I'm looking for!!

I'm going to an Al & Ed's at lunch today to look at that film.

Thanks again!!

Old 09-11-2008, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member
Another example, maybe what I was originally thinking:

Paris preview: Citroen C3 Picasso

Old 09-11-2008, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
Another example, maybe what I was originally thinking:

Photo Gallery

Old 09-11-2008, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
Ignore that Citroen post...made a mistake.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Nope, that's not mine, I stole the pics off another board.. This is mine:

Old 09-11-2008, 02:07 PM
are you gonna be doing this on a new fit?? if so, post some pics, I would like to see how it comes out, the slight green tint looks pretty hot!

Old 09-11-2008, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by PRDM
are you gonna be doing this on a new fit?? if so, post some pics, I would like to see how it comes out, the slight green tint looks pretty hot!
Yes, on my black (read my name) 09 Fit.

As this is my first tint, I'm trying to be cautious in what I put on and what shop to go to, etc. I have no idea what to be aware of.

If there's any advice, even things to be cautious of down the road, I'm welcome to it. I've seen tints (must be cheap ones) that are all bubbly and scratchy and that completely destroys the look of the car.

I really don't want a grey or black tint because my car is already black. It needs a color break. And I like the green tint in factory windows. This new Fit just doesn't have much of it.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:39 PM
"Down the road" advice, no matter what color of tint: When cleaning the inside of the windows don't use Windex or any other cleaner with ammonia. Make sure to use window cleaner that is designated as being safe for tint (check your local auto parts store, many choices).

But green tint on a black car? Maybe if you had a lime green Fit with dark green tint, but I can't envision green going with black ...

Old 09-11-2008, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cruzitude
"Down the road" advice, no matter what color of tint: When cleaning the inside of the windows don't use Windex or any other cleaner with ammonia. Make sure to use window cleaner that is designated as being safe for tint (check your local auto parts store, many choices).

But green tint on a black car? Maybe if you had a lime green Fit with dark green tint, but I can't envision green going with black ...
Thanks for the cleaning tip. Didn't know that.

To me, black tint on a black car is too much black. Monotonous. It needs a what we designers call a "color break". To me green tint on black will looks great.

Last edited by CrystalFiveMT; 09-11-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:51 PM
that WOULD be badass, then get green rotas or spuns or paint any wheels grabber green! Take pics when you tint, I love green.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
I read the newer ceramic tints arent effected by ammonia in windex, etc. My sister made the mistake on her 96 civic (tint from 97... old skwl) and it turned purpleish. I had 3% on my truck in H.S. (10 yrs ago) and it never turned purple b/c I always used the safe stuff.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:23 PM
I still wouldn't risk it though. I use Stoner's Invisible Glass to clean my windows. The stuff is great.

Other than that there's one thing I'd say to check for 'cause I learned the hard way.. A lot of places around here I've seen rinse your whole car down with a hose and it's covered in water afterward.. I'd guess that it's so they can get whatever solution they used off of the car. Whatever. Best tint job I had was in a garage and the guy never needed to do that.. Anyway, bring a towel or something and wipe off the outside windows so you can see what the tint looks like. Some tiny bubbles may go away while it's curing to the car, but check inside too. I had to go back to have them redo my rear window because someone messed it up horribly the first time and warped the tint with a squeegee.. Second time I thought I looked closer, but I didn't from the inside, and it's still a bit messed up in the middle.. Called them again, they just said "no job will ever be perfect." Funny, the tint done as a side job on my P5 was. Anyway, I didn't want to deal with it anymore so I didn't go back about it. Can't see it from outside the car, even up close, but I can see it from inside.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
I just had my Llumar ATR 35 tint done today!

Initially I asked if they can do the front window as well and the guy said yes. When I came back after it was done, I noticed from the inside that the windshield wasn't done. He must've misunderstood me when I said "front" - I meant windshield. He said they don't do the windshield because it's illegal to do any tint on the windshield, but if customers want that they charge $125 just for the windshield and they have to sign a waiver.

The car looks good, though it's a little hard to tell how green it is. It looks more grey, and the Touareg's looks greener, definitely. But the Touareg's glass is greener to begin with. It's cloudy right now and dark so I'll have to wait until tomorrow when the sun is out and hopefully I'll see some green in my tint. It looks great anyway.

I'll post some pictures after the weekend.

Quick Reply: Is there such a thing as green tint?