2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tall Mode and a Mountain bike - no go

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Angry Tall Mode and a Mountain bike - no go

I rode my bike to the dealer the morning I picked my Fit up, thinking I could fit it behind the front seats by removing the front wheel. (I've seen pics showing that). Well, it didn't fit.

I've got a Cannondale older model (no fancy suspension in the back, just on the front forks. 26" wheels.

I had to lay the rear seats down and put it in that way. I was disappointed.

Just sharing. Not a big deal.

However I did go to Walmart today, I'm happy to report a rigid rifle case and a 12-pack of Sierra Nevada Pale did fit.

Last edited by IfTheFoo; 09-20-2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:35 AM
Hmm...I remember seeing a photo of this. However, after checking Honda's website, they show the bicycle being placed in the rear with the seats folded flat. Perhaps Honda was using a smaller bicycle in their Japan ads...or had both wheels removed.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:40 AM
5 Year Member
did it fit fine in the back with the seat folded down?

Old 09-21-2008, 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by Whats A Fit?
did it fit fine in the back with the seat folded down?
Yes, it did fit that way. I had to fold down both seats and remove the front wheel.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:42 AM
I've always seen the bike with the seats down. Scratch that, the 07 brochure shows a mountain bike in there with the magic seats folded up. It also shows what I think is a llama in there. Honda reminds you to carefully secure all cargo lol.

Tell us more about the drunk shooting...

Old 09-21-2008, 03:44 AM
5 Year Member
My bike wouldn't fit in tall mode either. It's a 2008 GT Avalanche 2.0 mountain bike. With the front wheel off it's still too long, so I'm forced to load it through the hatch.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by CBR2200
I've always seen the bike with the seats down. Scratch that, the 07 brochure shows a mountain bike in there with the magic seats folded up. It also shows what I think is a llama in there. Honda reminds you to carefully secure all cargo lol.

Tell us more about the drunk shooting...

LOL. I was passing by Walmart on my way home, and I'd been needing to buy a hard case for a .22 my dad gave me a long time ago. Also got some beer.

So it's not such an intriguing story. But it seemed too funny to me at the time.. Leaving the store, it was like, Alcohol and Firearms, it don't git no better than that!

Old 09-21-2008, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
get a hitch and rack

Old 09-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
get a hitch and rack
Haven't seen a hitch setup for an '09 yet...

Old 09-21-2008, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
I have a mat I put in the back with the seats folded down to put my road bike in. To me, it's the easiest way to carry it. It seems like there would be a risk of getting grease on the seats with the magic seats folded up. Personally, I don't like cartop, or rear carriers, because your bike is exposed.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
Well I'm gonna be getting a mini bike perty soon here...hope that fits lol.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by shazaam
Well I'm gonna be getting a mini bike perty soon here...hope that fits lol.
You mean a minibike lwith a motor, or a bicycle like a Dakon?

Old 09-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by IfTheFoo
I rode my bike to the dealer the morning I picked my Fit up, thinking I could fit it behind the front seats by removing the front wheel. (I've seen pics showing that). Well, it didn't fit.
Did you take the front wheel of your bike? You have to remove the front wheel for it to fit in tall mode.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Black01
Did you take the front wheel of your bike? You have to remove the front wheel for it to fit in tall mode.
Uh, did you read my post? The part you quoted?

Old 09-23-2008, 05:09 PM
when somebody knows of an '09 hitch mount for the '09 Fit Sport... PLEASE TELL US ABOUT IT!!! we're all dying to know...

Old 09-23-2008, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by vancouverfit
when somebody knows of an '09 hitch mount for the '09 Fit Sport... PLEASE TELL US ABOUT IT!!! we're all dying to know...
YES!

I have traveled twice with my road bike. It's easiest just to lay down with the front wheel off and the rear seats down. When I first got the car, I tried every method and this is the only one that's convenient and works. The tall mode is BS unless you're packing a bmx bike. I did try placing the bike upright facing the back of the car (front wheel off). This would work if I had one of those truck bed fork mounts but the rear tire of the bike hits my seats. The problem though is my bike is pretty big and the saddle hits the roof. It's probably not as bad for smaller bikes.

All I know is I want a damn hitch already!

Old 09-23-2008, 07:33 PM
I will certainly be picking up a hitch mount whenever they are available after I pick up the Fit.

For the record: In the 09 Fit Brochure (and on the Honda webpage) it shows the mountain bike in the car using Utility Mode with all the seats down & the front wheel off. It is on the foldout page that shows the different modes.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:49 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by IfTheFoo
LOL. I was passing by Walmart on my way home, and I'd been needing to buy a hard case for a .22 my dad gave me a long time ago. Also got some beer.

So it's not such an intriguing story. But it seemed too funny to me at the time.. Leaving the store, it was like, Alcohol and Firearms, it don't git no better than that!
Yeee Hawwwww Let's go git us some snakes, Elmer!!!

Old 09-23-2008, 07:55 PM
is it me or do I see some sort of tie down for the bike. I was wondering how it would stay upright without falling over on turns.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by mega56
is it me or do I see some sort of tie down for the bike. I was wondering how it would stay upright without falling over on turns.
Looks like theres' some sort of strap just in front of the seat post. Probably attached to the front-most tie down loops.

Quick Reply: Tall Mode and a Mountain bike - no go