2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove 08 Sport AT...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
Drove 08 Sport AT...

Stopped by Honda dealer today. They had 3 '09 Sports - Blackberry (really really nice), Tidewater (really nice) and Orange (really nice). And guess what...they had a red 08 Sport AT parked along with them.

So I took a decent drive with the 08. My dad has an 07 Sport AT, and I've driven that several times for long periods, and I remember its steering and steering response to be better than the 09s. This test drive confirmed that pretty much. First of all, the steering feels less artificial, especially more towards lock, where the 09s' get light and artificial. The 08's steering feels heavier and although it's ratio is less quick by 0.1, it feels as if it's quicker, and the chassis responds twice as quick as the 09s. Makes for a noticeable boost in driving fun.

Seating position was as awkward as I remember, but not bad. The seats were not quite as form-fitting but good. Ride comfort was about even, though I didn't check on the tires' psi at the time - could've been low.

Brake effort was little, while the 09s required a lot. I like the 08s'.

Acceleration while on the highway was almost painfully slow. At 5000 rpms the engine loses its breath, while the 09s get a second wind. Big, huge difference here. Plus the 09s sound happy and nice winding up there while the 08 sounds strained and harsh. Still, the 08 with its AT felt really responsive from idle to 4,000 rpms.

If I were to choose between the two, I think I would still opt for the 09 MOSTLY for the following reasons:

- Design in and out
- Looks more spacious up front
- Power
- Better driver comfort
- Radio

But I say hands-down the 08 is more fun to drive thanks to the steering feel/heft and chassis response.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Stopped by Honda dealer today. They had 3 '09 Sports - Blackberry (really really nice), Tidewater (really nice) and Orange (really nice). And guess what...they had a red 08 Sport AT parked along with them.

So I took a decent drive with the 08. My dad has an 07 Sport AT, and I've driven that several times for long periods, and I remember its steering and steering response to be better than the 09s. This test drive confirmed that pretty much. First of all, the steering feels less artificial, especially more towards lock, where the 09s' get light and artificial. The 08's steering feels heavier and although it's ratio is less quick by 0.1, it feels as if it's quicker, and the chassis responds twice as quick as the 09s. Makes for a noticeable boost in driving fun.

Seating position was as awkward as I remember, but not bad. The seats were not quite as form-fitting but good. Ride comfort was about even, though I didn't check on the tires' psi at the time - could've been low.

Brake effort was little, while the 09s required a lot. I like the 08s'.

Acceleration while on the highway was almost painfully slow. At 5000 rpms the engine loses its breath, while the 09s get a second wind. Big, huge difference here. Plus the 09s sound happy and nice winding up there while the 08 sounds strained and harsh. Still, the 08 with its AT felt really responsive from idle to 4,000 rpms.

If I were to choose between the two, I think I would still opt for the 09 MOSTLY for the following reasons:

- Design in and out
- Looks more spacious up front
- Power
- Better driver comfort
- Radio

But I say hands-down the 08 is more fun to drive thanks to the steering feel/heft and chassis response.
Good review

Old 10-05-2008, 07:57 PM
nice review, i wonder how much the handling would be improved with RSR springs over stock, they certainly look cooler but do they kill ride comfort?

Old 10-05-2008, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by what?
nice review, i wonder how much the handling would be improved with RSR springs over stock, they certainly look cooler but do they kill ride comfort?
Since new I've been tinkering with replacing the OEM tires with some stiff sidewall summer tires which I believe will bring back all that the 09s lost in terms of steering/response. But I'm sure ride will suffer.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:31 AM
if you think a Fit is fun to drive, you should get out more.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sofa king
hahahaha

Brake effort was little, while the 09s required a lot.
haahahaaahahah

Old 10-06-2008, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
If you don't think a Fit is fun to drive, you should read an Encyclopedia about cars and start with "A".

Old 10-06-2008, 01:57 PM
h2o
Fun to drive to many, maybe referring to acceleration G, to others, we prefer lateral G . I think Fit is a fun little car with a great chassis, better than average handling and not terribly bad acceleration and braking.

Different strokes for different folks, I can see some potential in this car.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
If you don't think a Fit is fun to drive, you should read an Encyclopedia about cars and start with "A".
what exactly is an encyclopedia going to tell me about a Fit?

Originally Posted by h2o
Fun to drive to many, maybe referring to acceleration G, to others, we prefer lateral G . I think Fit is a fun little car with a great chassis, better than average handling and not terribly bad acceleration and braking.

Different strokes for different folks, I can see some potential in this car.
yah, massive body roll w/ skinny tires. the fit is really pushing the motorsport envelope.

not bad acceleration & braking compared to what?!

what has you guys so high on the Fit? you do know why most people have the scaled down mini-van right? to haul shit around & MPG.

people dont buy it for its ability to pull lateral G's.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by MPGASAP
hahahaha

haahahaaahahah
you cant even quote right.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:24 PM
h2o
what exactly is an encyclopedia going to tell me about a Fit?

yah, massive body roll w/ skinny tires. the fit is really pushing the motorsport envelope.

not bad acceleration & braking compared to what?!

what has you guys so high on the Fit? you do know why most people have the scaled down mini-van right? to haul shit around & MPG.

people dont buy it for its ability to pull lateral G's.
Fit of course isn't something with "high performance" neither is a Miata. But fun to drive factor is there, otherwise why do Honda keep making cars that are "sporty" to drive? Civics are econboxes, too, but look at how Civic Type R performs compared to many other cars that outclass it. I really don't think people are buying Fit for its performance, but it could well be one of the reasons for buyers in this segment. I do choose a Fit over a Yaris any day. I said it, with a decent set of tires, and brake pads, it could be borderline trackable.

I do occasionally instruct at HPDE trackday events, and have over 6 yrs plus track experience, so I am not completely clueless on what I said.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Why are you even on this forum?

Old 10-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by bluerice
I don't see a post where Sofaking has actually contributed ANYTHING worthwhile to the discussion. He's either baiting someone or say "nice pics".

Old 10-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by bluerice
because i have a deposit on a fit. believe me, i wouldnt come here just to stir shit up.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
i thought your comment was funny, and I put words in your mouth! hsahahah
now you will look foolish too

Old 10-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by txmatt
I don't see a post where Sofaking has actually contributed ANYTHING worthwhile to the discussion. He's either baiting someone or say "nice pics".
maybe once i actually get a Fit ill post something more to your liking? my caring level is pretty high Matt.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by h2o
Fit of course isn't something with "high performance" neither is a Miata. But fun to drive factor is there, otherwise why do Honda keep making cars that are "sporty" to drive? Civics are econboxes, too, but look at how Civic Type R performs compared to many other cars that outclass it. I really don't think people are buying Fit for its performance, but it could well be one of the reasons for buyers in this segment. I do choose a Fit over a Yaris any day. I said it, with a decent set of tires, and brake pads, it could be borderline trackable.

I do occasionally instruct at HPDE trackday events, and have over 6 yrs plus track experience, so I am not completely clueless on what I said.
even thats questionable.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by h2o
Fit of course isn't something with "high performance" neither is a Miata.

A miata is many times better a performance car than a fit or SI. (I do own a fit and would never buy a miata) It is the best entry level club racer available for the money. Go to the autocross and watch a modded miata and then laugh at a modded fit.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
im glad your here sofa king, and i hope the forum serves as a resource for your new car. congrats. nice name too

Hitler was a reasonable man, and the holocaust is a fabrication by the jew.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
really?
i'm sorry but if i didn't like my choice in car i wouldn't be on this forum.
if you don't think it's a cool car and fun to drive, you should probably never log back in

Quick Reply: Drove 08 Sport AT...