2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Transmission questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Manual Transmission questions

I bought a '09 Fit Sport with a manual transmission, and this is my first manual transmission ever. I've been driving it for 2 weeks and I'm still shifting kind of rough, but I'm much better. Most of my stalls are when I try to launch it in 3rd gear. My husband has a 2009 VW Rabbit, and due to some fancy thing called torque, it drives much differently.

I'm just curious if anyone has any suggestions specific to the Fit. I've been following the shift points in the manual for the most part, but I'm curious how other, more experienced drivers, shift it.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
You must be joking about starting from 3rd. While some torquey cars can start from 3rd (my 08 Accord 6MT did so nicely) the Fit would shudder starting from 2nd. I assume you're talking about standing starts rather than rolling.

Forget the owner's manual. Go by sound and feel when it comes to shifting. The higher you rev the engine the more power you'll get. It's one of the easiest cars to learn stick, except for the somewhat disconnected clutch feel.

Keep practicing and you'll be a pro in a matter of days/weeks.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Sorry, just to clarify, my stalls are when I *accidentally* try to start from 3rd, thinking I was in 1st.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:11 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CTStalker
Sorry, just to clarify, my stalls are when I *accidentally* try to start from 3rd, thinking I was in 1st.
oh you should be careful. mistaking gear gates for other gates is not a mistake any driver should be making, but you are still fairly new so i'm sure you will improve. just make sure you follow the gear shift patterns, don't try to throw the shifter diagonally from 2 to 3, for example.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:19 PM
patient!

OK you taking off in 3rd was an accident, good, no taking off in 2nd either. Give yourself some time to get used to the fit. The "drive by wire" throttle arrangement causes some timing issues even with long time manual transmission users. Don't get in a hurry and try to leisurely get to know your car. Be patient with yourself. If you stress it too much you'll make the situation worse. RELAX!

Last edited by feddup; 10-06-2008 at 01:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-06-2008, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
it is a little known fact that Honda forgot to put the torque in its little compartment under the back seat

Old 10-06-2008, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by feddup
OK you taking off in 3rd was an accident, good, no taking off in 2nd either. Give yourself some time to get used to the fit. The "drive by wire" throttle arrangement causes some timing issues even with long time manual transmission users. Don't get in a hurry and try to leisurely get to know your car. Be patient with yourself. If you stress it too much you'll make the situation worse. RELAX!
Perfect word to remember - "RELAX". That makes all the difference. Relax, be calm, smooth, same thing while starting on an incline - don't panic.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
agree with what some other posters have said. you are in the learning process, so set aside concerns around optimal rmp shift points until you no longer struggle with coordination.

i learned to shift on my own years ago, but one concept i wish someone would've explained to me as i was learning is the "friction zone." from a stop, clutch-in, shift into 1st, and ease up slowly on the clutch until the moment you feel the car begin to inch forward -- keep the clutch right there there because you've just discovered...

cue music...

*the friction zone*

Old 10-06-2008, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
You need to really concentrate on knowing which gear you are in. a little attention will show you just where the gear positions are and you can practice shifting with the engine off and clutch depressed.

There is a good reason why the car stalls when you try to start from 3rd; there isn't enough gear multiplication of the engine's torque to move the Fit from stop. (torque is the twisting force of the crankshaft that turns the wheels)
Its like using a lever to lift a rock, the shorter the length from the fulcrum to a rock compared to the length from fulcrum to the end of the handle the more leverage (or gear) to lift the rock. When you try to lift the rock by pushing at only half the handle length, the harder it is to lift the rock. Ditto trying to get the Fit in motion. The more gear ratio the easier it is to get it moving. In 1st the ratio is 3.3 and in 3rd 1.3 to 1. Thats like trying to lift the rock using only 1/3 the length from the fulcrum compared to using the full length.
And the real reason you want to be sure to use first is to reduce wear and tear on your clutch. If you start in third enough you will need to replace the clutch too soon. While Honda may do it under warranty, they won't if they find you starting from third.
Cheers.

Last edited by mahout; 10-06-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
just rev up to redline, and take your foot off the clutch.
BOOM, you're going

Old 10-06-2008, 04:04 PM
agree with kyle

Old 10-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kyle is raaddd
just rev up to redline, and take your foot off the clutch.
BOOM, you're going to have a f*cked up car
There, i fixed what you said Kyle. Hope you don't mind lol.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:09 PM
I am confused.

Most of my stalls are when I try to launch it in 3rd gear.
How do you manage to stall the vehicle when shifting into 3rd

You may want to try giving it more gas.

In my experience with manual transmissions - there seems to be a balance (sweet spot) for shifting and it is particular to the vehicle being driven. I would suggest experimenting with shifting at different RPMs to help in discovering that "sweet spot". My 08 tends to shift smoother if I shift higher in the recommended range or evenly slightly past that.

Hang in there...you can master it!

Old 10-06-2008, 09:14 PM
And your question is?

Don't start in 3rd!

Occasionally I will start out in 2nd if the Fit is moving (coasting) or from a start going down a hill perhaps - but generally I always start out with 1st.

Is there something I am missing here?

Last edited by somdamon; 10-06-2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
well you can do the "tap tap" method. sometimes i "tap tap" the gas because i am afraid that i will wore out the clutch after. since give gas in a 800rpm and holding it in while the clutch is press and on 1st gear. im afraid that it will wear it out. sorry for the repeatition.

anybody do this method?

Last edited by RandomKoko; 10-06-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:21 PM
Old 10-06-2008, 11:28 PM
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers
i learned to drive stick barefoot on a hill so i can "feel the clutch" like my dad said... u can feel the engagement with a barefoot clutch foot.. i unno im just weird but that helped me alot when i was learning a few years ago.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RandomKoko
well you can do the "tap tap" method. sometimes i "tap tap" the gas because i am afraid that i will wore out the clutch after. since give gas in a 800rpm and holding it in while the clutch is press and on 1st gear. im afraid that it will wear it out. sorry for the repeatition.

anybody do this method?
i'm not sure if that would really help. it seems like it could even make clutch wear worse actually since you're not letting the clutch grab and instead forcing it to keep slipping as you move. it'd probably be better to just keep the rev low and let the clutch engage quickly and fully as soon as possible.

on a side note, i know your "tap tap" method as the "showing off my loud-ass exhaust method." I've witnessed it used most often by people in crowded parking lots trying to floss their rides (lol). they blip the throttle numerous times (7-10 times, or more depending on the degree of flossing) as they slowly inch out of their parking space.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:39 PM
practice, practice, practice.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
Originally Posted by doctordoom
There, i fixed what you said Kyle. Hope you don't mind lol.
haha yes yes you are correct

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission questions